[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car vs. Truck for First Vehicle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 2008-Toyota-Tacoma_9989.jpg (196 KB, 2008x1272) Image search: [Google]
2008-Toyota-Tacoma_9989.jpg
196 KB, 2008x1272
As much as I want to buy a used BMW or Mustang 5.0, I'm trying to be financially responsible. I've looked at used vehicles between $7,000 and $10,000 and nothing excited me. I can see all the 3-Series BMWs crapping out on me and becoming a nightmare. And all the consumer cars bore me to death. I figured trucks are meant to work. Business rely on them to work, or else nothing gets done. I've considered just buying a used truck. Thing is, I've never liked them, therefore I know nothing about them. Is buying a truck a sound decision? They seem relatively simple, in terms of there not being too much that can break. Sure I'd spend more on gas, but I'd have to crunch the numbers on that. How are insurance rates on trucks? I appreciate any info or feedback.
>>
You are saying nothing about what your needs and uses are
>>
>>14769644
I truthfully have no need for a truck. Just commuting. Nothing that a car can't accomplish.
>>
>>14769664
So why not just a Civic, Corolla or similar? It'll handle better, use less fuel, and they are some of the most reliable cars on the market

Not sure about insurance and price for them tho as I don't know the US market
>>
>>14769664
Then get a commuter car, unless your friends are complete white trash and would call you a pussy 24/7.
>>
>>14769692
Don't Civics have astronomical insurance costs? At least they do in North America. A Corolla would probably be a smarter decision. I just have an aversion to Toyota cars. They seem so absent of any life or passion. In my mind their trucks seem more lifelike. It's a shame because the new Civic really is beautiful.
>>
>>14769719
More doors, slower, less displacement usually equals less insurance costs. Add in cost of possible repairs, economy sedans are amongst the cheapest - usually.

If you don't wanna go Civic or Corolla, why not look into other comparable vehicles in the class such as a Mazda 3, Focus or any other small sedan?
>>
For $7,000 you could get a reliable truck AND a 5.0 they'd just be old and less than perfect cosmetically but you'd always have a backup.
>>
>>14769828
Civics have a reputation for being easily stolen and crashed by young drivers. I've had a quote for one and it's insane. I love the 2015 Mazda 3, but since I'm looking for used under 10k, I doubt I'd find one. I can't stand pre-2014 Mazda 3 models.

>>14769846
I hear that buying used Mustang can be pretty hit or missed. The idea being that they're usually driven hard by their original owner, so you're likely to have many repairs down the road.
>>
>>14770160
Well you're not going to buy a new Mustang for $7-$10k. Yeah people do drive them hard but Ford has known that for a long time and designed them to be repaired/refurbished easily and parts are plentiful because they're so popular.
>>
>>14770252
True, the Mustangs I was looking at were around 16-17k and V6. That would have been needlessly stretching my budget.
>>
File: 1450734947553[1].jpg (130 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1450734947553[1].jpg
130 KB, 960x540
>>14770270
Nah I'm talking about a combo like this. Easily had for under $7,000 total for both.
>>
>>14770288
Eh, I can't stand the Foxbody Mustang. And I'd like to stay away from any rust buckets.
>>
File: IMG_3624.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3624.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>14769664
don't buy a truck then. The best half tons get like 12L/100km highway, its not really worth it unless you need a truck.
Im getting a new truck this summer because im sick and tired of not being able to use my truck for 'truck' things.
>pic related
>>
>>14770452
Makes sense. Seems like I was just being irrational. Back to the drawing board.
>>
I'd argue a used SUV could be really fun, if you're into outdoors hobbies at all. But otherwise yeah, the added complexity (extra axles, driveshafts, transfer cases) and loss in fuel economy and dynamics doesn't seem worth it. Trucks tend to be way over-priced and more beaten on than the equivalent chassis in SUV-format.
>>
>>14769664
Look into a pontiac g8

plenty of power, more than you'll ever need, four doors, and reliable
>>
>>14770315
You could get a 5.0 SN95 and a rust free Ranger for the same money
>>
How's the gmc sonoma or chevy s10 for a first car?
>>
Kazakhstan is a shithole country where the best roads are lumpy pothole ridden messes. I constantly drive on dirt roads, snow and ice. In these conditions I am required to drive a 4x4 truck. If I had no need for it I would just drive a camry.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.