[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a car's engine keep running without too much issues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 3368431859_7bc8e2f161.jpg (161 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3368431859_7bc8e2f161.jpg
161 KB, 500x375
Can a car's engine keep running without too much issues if one cylinder is dead and has no compression?
>>
>>14769614
My dad had a citroen jumper from the 90's that we ran on 3 cilinders (4th cyl spark plug wire was unplugged) for a few months.
And his alfa blew the valves on a cilinder, worked fine still.
>>
Pumping losses of the dead cylinder cause significant drag on the engine, not to mention uncombusted fuel getting past into the ehaust and to the o2 sensor is going to throw off fuel tuning significant;y (engine thinking its running much richer than t is) which will in turn significantly lean out the other cylidners causing further problems.

If the engine is blown fucking fix it, don't redguard it.
>>
>>14769614
I wouldn't do it, but if you do disconnect both the spark plug and the injector so you aren't throwing fuel in or damaging the area further.
>>
>>14769649
could just disconnect the fuel and spark from one cylinder
>>
>>14770424
Presuming its efi.

I had a spark plug blow in half once and the loss of power was massive and the noise was rather loud. Thankfully it wasn't far from home.
>>
>>14770424
In which case you would still be dealing with the pumping losses and the cylinder would be pushing air straight through still messing up your A:F ratios. This time it would be reading extremely lean and the car would in turn run rich on the other cylinders.
>>
>>14769614
Yeah, you can do it pretty much indefinitely.

If the loss of compression is due to valvetrain issues on the exhaust side, there's no problem. On the intake side can cause some running issues. If it's a piston/ring problem then make sure you keep the oil full.
>>
We have an old peice of shit farm truck that's down one cylinder. It's carbed and has no issues beyond burning an insane amount of oil and gutlessness. Not even sure if the oil problem is related.
>>
>>14769614
Well, newer engines have cylinder deactivation, so yeah, presumably.
>>
>>14770752
That's different. That also turns off the fuel injector and I believe also holds open a valve or something to reduce drag. Also, the engine is aware of it and adjusts what it expects to get from the O2 sensor's readings.
>>
>>14770518
just disconnect the other cylinders too then :^)
>>
>>14770852
>not hacking up the exhaust manifold, jerry rigging a pipe connecting the exhaust port around to the throttle body, and cutting off the poppet valves for the dead cylinder and replacing with once way check valves so the cylinder is supercharging the remaining cylinders

:^)
>>
>>14769614
I will answer about my suv. 6 cylinder and one of my cylinders was misfiring (read: not working), so the car would stutter when climbing in speed or just hills in general, horrible long term and may have helped lead into what I now have (either a cracked head gasket or fked up water pump), so the long story short is don't do it, not worth it.
>>
> pumping losses

What about removing the spark plug? I guess you'd get shit falling down the hole...
>>
knew a guy who had a piston disconnect from a rod in a celica.
drove it for over a year
made the most horrible sound.
>>
File: 20160404_084745.jpg (3 MB, 2120x1906) Image search: [Google]
20160404_084745.jpg
3 MB, 2120x1906
>>14769614
Had fucked piston rings on #3 in a KA24DE. Nissan frontier. Spark plug trashed with oil, cylinder dead at this point. That's 25% loss. The piece of shit barely did 70mph after that. Seafoam in the intake made it worse. Eventually just ran it out of oil and I ended up with a connecting rod on the side of the road one day. Pic related
>>
The whole engine will be unbalanced. lf you're lucky enough to run the engine for a longer time it will rock itself out of the car.
>>
>>14770941

Idk bout that one bud
>>
>>14773933
Typical day in the life of a KA24.
>>
>>14774383
>The whole engine will be unbalanced
If the piston and rod are still there the engine will be in the same balance it was before the cylinder lost compression.

It will run rough because of the odd firing order for a three cylinder but that's about it.

>>14772514
You would the be pumping a large portion of the volume of the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Not only is that a significant amount of pumping losses but it would make a horrid sound.

>>14774402

Why not, they did it with a duc.

http://thekneeslider.com/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/
>>
>>14775476
>did it with a duc
Fake and gay
>>
My dad's truck burned a hole in the top of the piston on his truck. We drove it from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and back to upstate NY on 7 cylinders towing a small popup camper. It started on fire every time we stopped for gas. We made about a dozen gas station attendants shit themselves.

>captcha: RVs
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.