[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flipping cars for a living
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
Anyone else here do this? I make a bit of money doing this as a side hobby/business of sorts and it makes me enough money to have some extra cash for my hobbies.

I specialize in B5 VW Passats since they're always on Craigslist for cheap, less than $1k usually. Because VW charges a ridiculous amount of money to get them repaired people just sell them off for cheap, so I specialized in learning how to repair these. It ain't easy of course, as they are full of electrical gremlins, biodegradable wiring that turns to dust and all sorts of plastic shit on important engine parts, but that also means I can easily find parts for it at junkyards too.
>>
>>14769440
Depending on your state, you may need a dealer's license and have to apply for taxation.

Otherwise, go for it.
>>
>>14769440
I flipped a car once. But i nearly made a end to my life.
>>
Look into electronics and get some soldering gear bruv. If there are problems with electric parts you could possibly take them apart and replace the smaller components.
>>
>>14769464
I've sold 20 cars so far with no problems
>>
>>14769440
I do it on the side. In march i sold:
99 Ford Taurus $1100 cost sold for $1500
07 Durango $3400 cost $4500 + 98 durango trade
sold the 98 durango for $500 after i swiped the good tires off it for my Dakota
>>
File: Fiat_Uno_45.jpg (952 KB, 2272x1496) Image search: [Google]
Fiat_Uno_45.jpg
952 KB, 2272x1496
I did it a couple of times, around ten years ago and made decent money.
I'd find an older car with faded/peeling paint, hammer the shit out of big dents, bondo the small dents, paint it, and sell it to first time buyers. I wasn't much older than 15.

But now the market has changed so fucking much its nearly impossible to sell quickly for a profit.
Not only is paint is 71 time more expensive than it used to be, but every one wants financing.
Its pretty much impossible to find cash buyers.
That, and older cars are all getting scrapped due to higher tax because muh emissions.
>>
>>14769440
Any advice for selling a B5.5? I'm considering selling mine, which I believe to be in great condition: fully documented and on-time services, including recently the timing belt and rear brakes.
>>
>>14769792

Most places have a limit on the number, and if they figure out you've gone over the limit within 1 year, you are mega fucked. You should check into that before they notice.
>>
File: angry.jpg (72 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
angry.jpg
72 KB, 900x900
>>14772916

It's hard to even sell a regular fucking non-flipping car nowadays.

Buyers are fucking morons though - Whenever I've bought a car I've never bitched about things that weren't my problem (distance, price, etc).

So far I've encountered everything.

>uhh I don't want to drive 1.5 hours to come see your car sry man
>wil u tak truck 4 traed pls?
>WOULD U TAKE $2500 4 IT? (asking $3500)
>Guy says he'll come see my car in a week, text him the night before asking what time he plans on showing up to see it, "oh sorry I'm not coming anymore."

Only one serious buyer has come but I either have really shite luck or the dude sabotaged my car, because during the test drive it decided to pop a heater hose. Oh well.

But really, buyers are fickle as hell and mostly fucking retarded.
>>
>>14769440
>Passat B5
Polak detected
>>
>>14773242
>wil u tak truck 4 traed pls?
I get asked to do trades all the time, sometimes its for the craziest shit and always by text, usually at odd hours.
I've been offered a lamb (dead or alive), a knife collection, motorcycles, woodworking machines, a compound bow, a room full of caskets (unused), free photography for my wedding, a big stack of scratch lotto tickets, woodworking machines, free car wash for two years among others.

The best trades were with kids that just got a hand me down from a family member and found out it was impossible to insure.
I'd take it in as a straight up trade, usually for something more exciting to a teenager. Everyone wins.

Vans of all kind, and pickups sell easy in my experience - as long as they're less than €3000 and run well.
Usually painters, builders, plumbers, electricians, plasterers, and tradesmen that do a lot of cash in hand work.
>>
File: 20160404_171759.jpg (670 KB, 2537x1137) Image search: [Google]
20160404_171759.jpg
670 KB, 2537x1137
Should have specialized in B4 Passat, friend does this for all kind of cars from this era, he says parts are dirt cheap, and that only minor fixes are needed each time, otherwise pretty reliable car, almost at 1/2 Million KM boys, I'm going for it.
>>
File: VW.jpg (155 KB, 964x485) Image search: [Google]
VW.jpg
155 KB, 964x485
Do you prefer to deal with the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6s?

Pic related, my V6 had all kinds of emissions gremlins towards the end, and went through six evap canisters/N85 valves.

Gotta admit, it was a great car though.

Protip: Try to scrounge some old PhatBox units and upgrade the hard drives in them. Shit is cash.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.