[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand why people buy FWD hot hatches. Are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 20
File: FiestaST_031.jpg (307 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
FiestaST_031.jpg
307 KB, 1600x800
I don't understand why people buy FWD hot hatches. Are they serious, or is it a meme here?

Why are you on a car enthusiast board if you think buying a FWD hatchback is the best use of your money?

I understand that they can be "fun", but it's fun in the same way that an Xbox One can be "fun" relative to a PS4 or a decent gaming PC.

For example, a base spec Ford Focus ST is like $24,500. Why would you buy that over a Mustang? Even the V6 mustang will handle better, be faster in a straight line, and has plenty of space for the two bags of groceries you buy, or your backpack or whatever.

If you're a retard who thinks weight exists in a vacuum irrespective of power, bear in mind that the V6 Mustang has a better Power:Weight ratio than the focus ST. So your "MUH PIGFAT" argument basically just affirms you're a high school drop out who could never quite wrap their heads around that whole "numbers" thing.

If you don't want that, there's the BRZ/FRS.

If you want AWD, you can get a WRX for basically the same money.

The new four banger Camaro also has a better P:W than the Focus ST, also very close in price.

I'm also not harping on the Focus ST in general, but the Fiesta too, as well as the Civic.

I mean, you have to be a complete retard to waste your money on a gussied up econobox when there are actual performance options in the same price bracket available to you.
>>
File: Come on now.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
Come on now.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
>>
>>14766636
did you turn 15 today?
>>
>>14766655
>>14766659

Still waiting for a rebuttal that isn't based on subjective bullshit
>>
I wonder alot whether people are just trolling or are actually serious when they say stuff like:

>I understand that they can be "fun", but it's fun in the same way that an Xbox One can be "fun" relative to a PS4 or a decent gaming PC.

People buy FWD hot hatches because they're fun. End of story.
>>
>>14766636
>I don't understand why people buy FWD hot hatches.
99% it is about compromising with a woman.
>>
>>14766667
But the reason is entirely subjective. They're fun cars for the people who buy them. If they're not fun for you then ok but that doesn't make them less fun for the people who like them.
>>
>>14766678

Ok, great, they're fun, but they can be MORE fun for a small percentage more of your money.

It's like, you can have a McDonalds burger, and some people really enjoy a BigMac, OR, you can pay an extra dollar or two for a gourmet burger.

It's not like I'm asking "Why wouldn't you just buy a Cayman GT4?"
>>
>>14766686
So you think if women weren't around men would just drive around in ferraris?
>>
>>14766667
>compares cars to video games
>whole argument is subjective
You're a retard.
>>
>>14766696
Men would be buying much less practical cars if it weren't for women. Also, we're talking about affordable cars, not exotics
>>
>>14766636
I've kinda moved out of my hot hatch phase.
As for why I bought them - I enjoy tuning. I also like sleepers.
Sports cars are fun, but there's nothing quite like a supercharged ZX3 focus running with your vette on the highway.
You may be having fun, you may have gotten more bang for your buck stock to stock. But op, have you ever bought a Honda and built it up for perf like a few of us actually do? If you have and didn't like it, cool, but if you haven't, you kind of need to.
There's an entire world of fun just waiting for be had for under 10,000 dollars.
>>
>>14766667
>winter driving
>gas mileage
>base price
>overall practicality
>insurance
>all of the above with great tuning options

Also, you do realize you live in a world where people have different preferences, right? It's entirely possible that some people just enjoy the sensation of driving an FWD over an RWD platform or maybe they're simply more attracted to hot hatch models. It's not always a pissing contest over

>muh power to weight
>muh 1/4 mile times
>muh benchracing

You should worry more about yourself and not what other people spend their money on.
>>
File: 1454467117301.png (11 KB, 451x383) Image search: [Google]
1454467117301.png
11 KB, 451x383
>>14766636
>Why would you buy that over a Mustang?

I'm not a pensioner.
>>
File: CB400sf.jpg (73 KB, 680x425) Image search: [Google]
CB400sf.jpg
73 KB, 680x425
>>14766636
why do people bother buying "sporty" shit cars instead of getting a motorcycle?
even a cheap low capacity bike is faster than more than 90% of cars you will see on the road.
>>
>>14766932

Because its nice to not worry about dying
>>
>>14766953
You can just say it makes your vagina feel funny.
>>
>>14766932
those 4 cylinders sound amazing
>>
>>14766636
power to weight ratio isn't the one and only definitive car specification

weight actually affects this weird driving technique called cornering also, regardless of the power output
>>
>>14766932
>crash
>die
>>
>>14767096
>being afraid of death
what a pussyboy
>>
>>14766636
Us Yuropoors can't into big engines and cars because taxes so we settle whatever's "sporty" enough, ie. factory souped up econoboxes. I hate them too, they represent our fucked taxation system (I understand Europe's the size of a Texas but I'm still unhappy) and what kind of cucked pieces of shit we have to settle in for.
inb4 fellow Europeans bash me for shitting on hot hatches
>>
>>14767109
>inb4 fellow Europeans bash me for shitting on hot hatches

Nah. Only because of your ignorance and idiocy.
>>
>>14767096
luckily you'll never die from crash in your useless italian shitbox
>>
>why a focus hatch instead of a mustang?

srsly?
>>
>>14767112
Well spark up some arguments, I wanna hear.
>>
>>14767109
American cars are shit.
But i kinda like them anyway.
Up to 2004 though.
>>
>>14766636
>seriously mentioning a v6 mustang
Why the fuck would I ever buy a v6 mustang?
>>
>>14767113
Yeah, I know. It's a euro ncap 5 stars :^)
>>
>>14766932
>Buying a pigfat CB400SF over an RVF400
Why do you hate motorcycles?
>>
>>14766932
Because I'd rather not die. Also I have groceries and shit to do.
>>
>>14767273
Softcock.
>>
I still don't understand why they have to be fwd. Does a rear differential really take up that much space? I remember seeing a more modern hot hatch that even had an electronic parking brake. Who on earth would have a hot hatch without a handbrake?
>>
>>14767380
FWD is cheaper to manufacture.
>>
File: ayylmaocar.jpg (32 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
ayylmaocar.jpg
32 KB, 500x324
>>14766636
>small
>light
>great in city
>great MPGs on highway
>sick skidz in corners
>faster than onther shitboxes but not as hektic or demanding as a RWD
>reliable
>cheap to maintain
>good depreciation
>either really really cheap or seats 5 + all the luggage

They are fantastic . I don't understang why the gaystang has anything to do with them , as they are in completely different segments .
Also the Boostang gets shit MPG compared to a hothatch and is nowhere near as easy to park or drive .
>>
>>14767423

It's not just that... FWD is faster for rally.
>>
File: mazda_3mps2007_021_530.jpg (30 KB, 530x200) Image search: [Google]
mazda_3mps2007_021_530.jpg
30 KB, 530x200
Because it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a fast car slow?
Plus a hatchback has space in the back, some of us have a social life and have things called "friends" we like to ride in the same car to take long trips without one of them having cut their heads off to just fit in the back seat.
>>
>>14767465
In that case why do the renault 5 turbo and sunbeam lotus exist?
>>
The same reason people buy Miatas.

A hot hatch is a car that you can DD, but also have some fun with.

If you're a poorfag and can't afford a sporty car and a DD, you can kind of have both.
>>
>>14767109
This. We're not allowed to have nice things because MUH ENVIRONMENT.

>inb4 move to a country that's not third world-tier
It's not like a 20yo poorfag has the money to move halfway across the fucking world.
>>
I could own a Polo GTI 1.8 TSI manual for the whine that engine makes. I'd buy this as an econo, comfy DD and nothing else, but I'd enjoy really that engine sound. For driving experience itself I'd buy probably MX-5.
>>
>>14766636
>I don't understand why people buy FWD hot hatches.

They are the best cars, all things considered, outside of rural environments.
>>
>>14766636
FWD can run all seasons in winter no problem as compared to a RWD having difficulty with all seasons in the snow
>>
File: IMG_20160402_214721~2.jpg (860 KB, 2377x2376) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160402_214721~2.jpg
860 KB, 2377x2376
>>14766636
I considered some of the options on your list before buying mine, mostly the FRS/BRZ and WRX.

Reasons I went Fiesta:
>4 doors are nice when I occasionally have more than one passenger
>hatch provides decent utility
>I go WOT alot and average 30mpg, on the highway I'm getting 37mpg@75mph
>the extra money that goes into the ST model goes exclusively to performance enhancements, like forged engine internals from factory.
>lots of aftermarket support
>more uncommon than the others I considered

It's relatively easy to go big turbo fiesta and have 300whp/300tq (internals are good to about 400/400 with an aux fuel system) on the stock fuel system. The BRZ feels like a slow turd in comparison (they are fairly close stock) and the WRX felt too cheap for the price and is a ticket magnet.
>>
>>14766636
because mines sexy and its a special snow flake

now fuck off with your shitty opinions op
>>
>>14767509

You obviously have never seen one of these cars, you can carry about one backpack's worth of stuff. A motorcycle is a more practical car. Also, if the point you were trying to make was true, there would be more cars like those, and there is not.

Look at the base Fiesta and it's rally popularity, they basically own the 2wd class.
>>
>>14766686
THIS.
/ T H R E A D
>>
>>14767599
>rally
>2wd class

hahahaha what is this the 70s
>>
>>14767566
man.... im sorry but it literally looks like a van lol why would you even want to go fast in something like that
>>
>>14766694
I have money and have had a 5.0 Coyote Mustang before.

I went with a hot hatch because I have a motorcycle which can outperform the mustang, so if I just want 1 vehicle to maximize enjoyment but also to be efficient with my dollars, hot hatch was the place to go.

Getting a small RWD at about the same cost like the FRS or Miata would be a little slower in comparison, and also I'd lose out on so much utility.
>>
>>14767844
Because it's a sleeper m8 and you can fuck with much bigger and more expensive cars in the miniest-van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VBaJk2YpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRR4VZp9ZY

Granted I'm not a stop light racer and my car is built more for turning than dragging, still a very fun car.
>>
>>14767844
They look terrible in pictures but are far better looking in person when you appreciate the squat and rear spoiler. It's a tiny car mate, not at all a van.

>>14766636
Most people go through phases, since you are addressing FWD hot hatches, there's only a handful anyways. I'm sure you have no complaints about V60 Polestar. It's a compromise - a slightly taller ride height and (typically) minimal added weight = a much more practical car for passengers without much loss in performance.
>>
>>14767599
Those examples weren't intended to prove rear wheel drive can be practical, it's patently obvious that it can when you look at the number of examples with 4 wheel drive. The point is, why would they bother to convert the renault 5 to rear wheel drive if it would give them a disadvantage?
>>
File: 1452802937741.jpg (50 KB, 599x399) Image search: [Google]
1452802937741.jpg
50 KB, 599x399
>tfw actually own a hot hatch
>tfw your life choices make someone on the internet angry
>>
>>14767844
>not wanting to go fast in something that looks like a van

why are you here
>>
File: 1455659136607.gif (673 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
1455659136607.gif
673 KB, 176x176
>>14768484
It is rather curious, how they are so easily ass blasted by it as well.
>>
File: 1459294389254.png (102 KB, 638x911) Image search: [Google]
1459294389254.png
102 KB, 638x911
I'll bite

>I don't understand why people buy FWD hot hatches. Are they serious, or is it a meme here?
The only meme cars here are le angry ute and the Twingo.

>Why are you on a car enthusiast board if you think buying a FWD hatchback is the best use of your money?
Not everyone is able to afford something practical like a sedan, and something fun like a Camaro or Mustang. So people opt for the best of both worlds and get a hot hatch.

>I understand that they can be "fun", but it's fun in the same way that an Xbox One can be "fun" relative to a PS4 or a decent gaming PC.
That's not even a valid comparison... cars and computers are nothing alike.

>For example, a base spec Ford Focus ST is like $24,500. Why would you buy that over a Mustang? Even the V6 mustang will handle better, be faster in a straight line, and has plenty of space for the two bags of groceries you buy, or your backpack or whatever.
It might be able to suit YOUR needs, but it won't be able to suit everyone else's needs. Just like how some people might opt to buy a SUV over a dedicated pickup truck. They both fit similar roles, but each have their own merits which attract different buyers.

>If you're a retard who thinks weight exists in a vacuum irrespective of power, bear in mind that the V6 Mustang has a better Power:Weight ratio than the focus ST. So your "MUH PIGFAT" argument basically just affirms you're a high school drop out who could never quite wrap their heads around that whole "numbers" thing.
Not everything is about Power to Weight ratios. People aren't buying Focuses for P:W, they're buying them for a blend of reasons. If you said "Fiesta ST" then yes, you have a lot of enthusiasts buying those for P:W.

>If you don't want that, there's the BRZ/FRS.
Again, suffers similar problems that the Mustang does. For some people it simply isn't practical for daily use.

>If you want AWD, you can get a WRX for basically the same money.
Discontinued the hatchback.
>>
>>14767440
>FWD
>sick skidz in corners
No. FWD is hard as fuck to get hektic with, and the only reason to have a FWD car is if you're a poorfag. And this is coming from a Mazda3 owner who wishes he had a Miata
>>
>>14766694
Unless you like in, for instance, the UK. Where a Mustang starts at £10,000 more than the Focus ST. I shit you not.
>>
>>14766636

Because family. But still can be a lot of fun when no child in the back. 4 door, versatile, MPGs, cargo, still go fast.

>but VAG sucks... / hatches suck
North American Car of the Year
Motor Trend 2015 Car of the Year
Yahoo Autos Car of the Year
2015 Car & Driver 10 Best (9th year in a row)
Car & Driver Best in Class Sport Compact
Automobile Magazine 2015 All-Star
Autoweek Best of the Best / Car 2015
Road & Track Performance Car of the Year Finalist
AutoGuide.com Car of the Year nominee
Detroit Free Press Car of the Year Runner Up

"On a road like this, you need something small. You need a hot hatch back... and if you're gonna get a hot hatch back, why not get the king? This one. The Golf GTI.
I loved the Mark I and the 16 valve Mark II wasn't bad either. But since then, I mean they weren't bad but the magic went missing. With this one though, the Mark VII, it. is. back! This car can do everything. It's well made. It's sensibly priced. It's economical. It's well equipped. It seats five. It's got a big boot. But strip all that away and underneath, it's DNA is hot hatchery.
2 liter turbo engine, 220 horse power, and no torque steer... It's just astonishing. Woah, God this is good."

Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear

"Owning anything after the GTI is all diminishing returns, my friend."

Ezra Dyer, Car and Driver
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (171 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
171 KB, 1200x800
>>14768603
dont know why photo didnt post
>>
>>14768597
>poorfag
>Mazda 3
>Miata
Anon, Miatas are less then 1k, they are shit cars and low in price range for a reason. They are garbage.

I'll never understand why you would want to buy a shitty car with 100whp.
>>
>>14766636
They're cheap, fun to drive, practical, and easily fixed. When you can only afford one car, you want that to be a car that can swallow a load of stuff and still handle well.

Now, I COULD have gotten a Mustang. At a higher price, admittedly. It would be bigger, less efficient, handle worse, fit less stuff in the back, and harder to park. Trying to drive down twisty roads at speed would leave it upside-down in a ditch leaking fuel everywhere.

> Sports cars
What part of 'I need a car that can take a desktop PC, a week of clothes and a few cases of booze and still handle well' did you not get?

Why would I buy a Focus ST over a mustang?
HANDLING AND PRACTICALITY. That is why. Cornering is important in europe. That is why we invented the hot hatch.
>>
>>14768618
So basically, because you got cucked out of owning a practical car and a fun car, you need one that attempts to do both and is not quite as good as either.
Compromise.
Cuckoldry.
>>
File: SheddenWin2.jpg (149 KB, 765x510) Image search: [Google]
SheddenWin2.jpg
149 KB, 765x510
Except the difference is smaller than you think and drag racing gets really boring really fast
>>
>>14768614
>garbage
>less than $1k

What the fuck are you smoking? Even the most beat to shit NA with 250,000 miles on it would sell for more than $1k. They're reliable as fuck. And pretty much the entire world disagrees with you on the "garbage" part- they handle a million times better than any FWD shitbox. I will admit that they're pretty slow, but that's not a hard problem to fix.
Face it, FWD is shit, (at least from a fun perspective) and the only advantage is that it's cheap.
>>
>>14768627
Your girlfriend will cheat on you and you will never be happy
>>
>>14768664
>they handle better then any FWD shitbox
Is that why Miatas compete against BMWs in official big league races?

Because they don't. They can't even compete against base model civics in autocross.
>>
>>14767821
>Impliying every rally contest is held by the WRC
>Impliying 4x4 is mandatory
>>
>>14768455
good point anon, fwd cucks btfo
>>
>>14768618
I DD a Mustang GT and it's fun as shit and plenty practical
>>
>he thinks pigfat is just about acceleration

kek

>>14768664
Miatas dont even handle well

worst meme on the planet

floppy rolly sacks of shit every Civic Ive been in was better
>>
>>14768714
Really? How does it handle on twisty roads, or when there's an inch of water on the road at 80MPH due to rain?
Can you fit a desktop, three cases of booze, and a week of clothing in the back without resorting to using the seats?
>>
dumbest thread today.
>>
>>14766696
Yes
>>

what a stupid comparison
PCs are only "more fun" because they're upgradable and expandable.
Turbocharged cars can be chipped for more power easily, much like a PC.

it's more like the difference between a decent laptop and a desktop tower.
>>
File: DSC00714.jpg (309 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00714.jpg
309 KB, 1280x960
Every car enthusiast should own at least one hot hatch in their life.
>>
>>14768722
>when there's an inch of water on the road at 80MPH due to rain
Further proof that most of /o/ can't drive.
>>
File: 1312655291783.jpg (19 KB, 337x300) Image search: [Google]
1312655291783.jpg
19 KB, 337x300
>>14768737
>>14766718
>westerners in charge of controlling their women
>>
>>14768797
According to western women, we are in charge of EVERYTHING. And oh how do they fucking cry about it!
>>
>>14766636

Oh yeah, that doesn't make you look like a complete idiot at all.
>>
File: 1391286844688.jpg (10 KB, 261x173) Image search: [Google]
1391286844688.jpg
10 KB, 261x173
>>14768817
you let your women talk? top kek
>>
File: 1353232139031.gif (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1353232139031.gif
1 MB, 640x640
>>14767118
MFW I went to a dealer to buy a new focus st and walked out with a 16 GT Premium for the same price
>>
>>14768722
I wouldnt go 80 mph in the rain in any car. Let alone in an inch of water
>>
>>14768843
Bullshit.
>>
>>14769098
It was a used gt with under 3k miles so I good a good deal for it.
>>
>>14768722
>can you fit a desktop, three cases of booze, and a week of clothing in the back without resorting to using the seats

Yes.
>>
>>14766636
running costs of said fiesta st vs said mustang v6.

>end of story

also what mustang v6 handles better than a fiesta st? only the latest model has a possibility of doing this and those are a shit ton more expensive than a fiesta.

At least over here, where we have insane import and eco taxes on everything.
(some 30k cars in belgium cost literally 90k here)
>>
>>14767566
Nice car anon.
>>
>>14767440
> sick skidz
> fwd
Pick one

> bbbut look at this YouTube video of incredibly light lift off oversteer that took countless attempts to get the perfect clip of!
>>
>>14768843
tell me about amine girl why does she wear the mask?
>>
>>14769655
You can have both. real drfting is caused by inertia anyway and not burrying your right foot.

Sure, it's fun, but it's not really " adrift". even though you slide just the same.
>>
>>14768817
>According to western women, we are in charge of EVERYTHING. And oh how do they fucking cry about it!
Isn't it nice we allow them to complain and have a voice? We could take that away after all.
>>
>>14769674
Real drifting is initiated by 'inertia' sure, but it's sustained by 'burying your rught foot'
>>
File: 66957761998-infiniti-q45-8.jpg (680 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
66957761998-infiniti-q45-8.jpg
680 KB, 1200x750
Welp, I can't even tell if the troll is real, or just really fucking dedicated
>>
>>14769701
eh, no, it's sustained by wheel input and precise throttle imput. Try staying at opposite lock with full throttle :)
>>
>>14770033
> going full opposite lock to stay sideways
American car driver detected
>>
>>14769626
In the us...
Hot hatches 20k-35k(FiST, FoST, Golf)
AWD 30k-45k(sti, rs)
Joke sports cars 25k-35k (miata, toyobaru)

So FoST is about equal to v6 mustang, toyobaru, entry miata. FiST is alone at <25k.
>>
Holy fedorapost, bus lad.
>>
>>14767493
God you're such a fucking massive fag. Assuming you have a "social life", how could your parents release you into this world in this homosexual state and think "that's acceptable". Do you nerds fucking jack each other off when your cruising around the country in your fucking queer-mobile? Man, what happened to the world that had a set of balls and not filled with these hipster fucking virgins who think soccer mom cars are cool.
>>
File: 1447005638006.gif (73 KB, 129x150) Image search: [Google]
1447005638006.gif
73 KB, 129x150
>>14766636
>ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PEOPLE BUY CARS I DON'T LIKE?
>OMG SO TRIGGERED
>I NEED MUH SAFE SPACE

That's u
>>
File: 1428972950855.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1428972950855.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
>>14770786
ITT: eurocucks go into full retard mode trying to defend themeselves from the fact that americans have access to better cars that eurotrash have no access to because of taxes and regulations over there.
>>
>>14770569
Im saving this, this is some dank pasta that I can use wherever a Euroshit starts to fucking open their bitch mouth about how fwd hatches/milf mobiles are even considered a real vehicle
>>
>>14770971
Yeah projection is a great way to attack someone
I'm sure you're the most alpha dude around driving in your piss and shit stained crown vic, fedora wearing faggot
>>
>>14770990
Stay beta, econofag.
>>
>>14768664

>Face it, FWD is shit, (at least from a fun perspective) and the only advantage is that it's cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40o3-I-dDQ

IS350 had RWD, more power and still lost.

FWD is good to an extent. When it nears 400whp, torque steer + law of diminishing return kicks in. But until then, it can hang with the big boys on the straights and on the track.
>>
>>14771376
>When it nears 400whp, torque steer + law of diminishing return kicks in. But until then, it can hang with the big boys on the straights and on the track.

It's not a big boy if it can't go past 400 hp
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.