[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is the 2.5L Jeep engine? I've been in the market for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
How is the 2.5L Jeep engine?

I've been in the market for a new car for a while, and after driving a '98 Wrangler 2.5 through mexico for a day I love it. I know the 4.0s are far superior, but I was just curious about the 2.5 in terms of reliability and gas milage, we didn't seem to use that much

Also, Jeep bread
>>
It's gutless.
>>
Surprisingly plucky, had 160k on mine before the transmission (AX5) took a shit and then got a quick once over before being shoved into a Comanche in favor of putting a SBC in my YJ
>>
The Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a brick so a smaller engine won't really help with mileage.
>>
I have a 2.5 (97) and it is a pretty damn good motor for my off road needs. Cons: Sluggish, sounds like a lawn mower, combined with a soft top and high winds, good luck keeping straight.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-06-07-39-57.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-06-07-39-57.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
I've got a 4 and automatic.
>Pros
Cheaper to buy
Usually good, clean stock condition compared to TJs with 4.0
Doesn't make enough power to break anything offroad compared to TJs with 4.0
>Cons
Fucking gutless, especially with larger tires unless you regear

The fuel econ sucks, but I think it has more to do with it being a wrangler. You don't buy these for practicality, economy, or comfort.
As far as dependability, I've heard they are not as reliable as the 4.0. I can tell you this, the 2.5 in mine took a shit at 86K.
>>
The 4L barely puts out enough heat to survive Northern MI in January. Hope you don't have rough winters.
>>
File: wontdeal.jpg (348 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
wontdeal.jpg
348 KB, 900x900
The 2.5L AMC engine is perfectly adequate for streets and off-road. Especially if you have the 4.10 rear end.

It's a bulletproof little motor that you have to run too hard on highways, killing its efficiency. I have one and am taking it out. If I were you I'd look for the inline-6; they are smooth af.
>>
File: FEEL.jpg (88 KB, 650x842) Image search: [Google]
FEEL.jpg
88 KB, 650x842
Okay so I did some looking back on a 1000+ mile trip I went on months ago. Here's some numbers from my 1995's 2.5L, running on P275/60R15s. Engine has 198k miles and temp was steady at 200F the whole way.

Dana 35 rear = 4.10
AX5 fifth gear = 0.85

Recorded from driver seat:
70mph @ 3000rpm
85mph @ 3500rpm

I got it all the way up to 92mph on a loooong straight through Mississippi. Bikini top, half-doors, ski goggles. Don't do this.
>>
>2.5L
Shouldn't be considered unless you're swapping. The 4.0 is barely enough, 2.5 can hardly get out of it's own way.
>>
If you're going to off road it and do nothing else, the 2.5 is fine. If you plan on actually driving it, find the silky smooth, bullet-proof 4.0 liter.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.