[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna get a cafe racer like pic related. Anyone know where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (942 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
942 KB, 1280x960
I wanna get a cafe racer like pic related. Anyone know where I can get a parts kit for 4K. I know there's a general bike thread but I felt like I get more hits if I started a new thread.

Doesn't even need to be name brand.
>>
What? Just go on craigslist and look for an old 70s bike that fits the stle, then buy the different bars, gas tank ect ect.
>>
>>14762895
I've never owned a bike before. So I'm new to this. But I can do that? I kinda just wanted something new though too.
>>
>>14762926

Well there are new cafe racer style bikes, but buying and fixing up an old bike is way cooler plus you learn a lot about the machine.
>>
There are many appropriate MOTORCYCLE forums where, after you select the specific model you wish to cafe, you can find all the detailed information you want. /o/ isn't one of those places.

First, take a motorcycle rider course. Riding is not intuitive. That will help you determine if you even want a bike while learning proper skills from the start.

After that. select a motorcycle. If you are a mechanic, you have a wider choice. If you aren't, pick something recent enough to have dealer support. Your first machine should be Japanese for quality, affordability and reliability reasons.

"Cafe" styling is pretty but not comfy. Old motorcycles don't perform nearly as well as more recent machines. Their braking and handling are usually inferior.

Learn to ride, discover what you enjoy riding. put down some miles, then go fiddle with project bikes.

Making your only bike your project bike is a great way to be a pedestrian.
>>
>>14762984
Are you trolling, memeing, or are you serious right now? Motorcycle course?
>>
File: Kawasaki Z1R TC.jpg (281 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kawasaki Z1R TC.jpg
281 KB, 1600x1200
If you haven't biked before, a cafe racer isn't what you want to start with. Just get any number of "starter bikes" from your local classifieds.

If you want a cafe racer, you should aim for that as a secondary bike. They're not very comfortable. If you already have a car, this can be okay. You may not ride everywhere anyway.

You can definitely find a cafe racer someone else made for under $4k. Making a cafe bike immediately devalues it, unless you keep the stock parts and put them back on before you sell the bike, then sell the parts you used.

There's a huge variety of good, old bikes to use for conversions, and making a custom cafe bike should be really easy. So that's good news for you.

There are also a variety of new bikes that are retro styled. Suzuki makes the SR400 and TU250X, Honda makes the CB1100, Yamaha the XSR750/900 bikes, and the list only goes on from there.

There are so many cool things you can do with a good bike. Just get one that runs.
>>
>>14763103
OP said he never owned a bike before. When it comes to motorcycles I don't bullshit.

Those with experienced should warn noobs for the good of all motorcyclists. Riding is not intuitive.
>>
>>14763418
Well I wouldn't buy anything before taking the courses and getting my license. My father wouldn't let me. He owns a Harley and everytime I bring it up he always tells me to get me license first. Your advice isn't bad.

Comfort isn't really a concern. Every vehicule I've ever owned has been more about style really. I'm not satisfied if I don't feel cool driving it. Although I might just look like a giant faggot riding this bike.
>>
>>14763553
IMO it doesn't look faggy except for the hipsterfag rock guard over the headlight. It doesn't take big bucks to lightly restyle such machines. Handlebars are cheap, any non-shit auto upholstery place can make you a custom seat reasonably and with better vinyl than the factory, and exhausts aren't too spendy unless you go insane. 4 into 1 systems are functionally best for a four cylinder though the reverse cone silencers on stock pipes in pic are cute. I'd put a Vance and Hines on the thing though. They were smart to keep the stock airbox.

Visit brand-specific forums and custom bike forums to get an idea of what you can do. BTW a comfy set of low bars are "BMW style" or if Harley, "XLX style". You can look for those bends if your machine has tubular bars. Flat drag bars and clubmans are much less comfortable.
>>
>>14762926

Never buy your dream bike as your first bike. You're going to drop it a bunch. You may even "lay er down". It'll break your heart to deal with the damage.

Get a used small dual sport or standard and cut your teeth on it. After 6-18 months trade it on your dream bike.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.