[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tuning culture post-oil will be cyberpunk as fuck, and way cooler.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13
File: images (2).jpg (23 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
23 KB, 471x312
Tuning culture post-oil will be cyberpunk as fuck, and way cooler.

>Hey nice ride, buddy. Done anything?
>Yeah, precision wround 2KA stators, bro. Full CNC squirrels. 700kW inverter each wheel. 0-60 in 3
>Sweet. Controller?
>Custom per-wheel torque logic, dude. uploaded racing PIDs and got it sampling at 2k on an aftermarket FPGA. Flashed a race inverter profile, too.
>Sick, man. Bet it chops Tesla Z's
>*chuckles* You bet. I was thinking a cap regen next. They're a bit rice though.
>Better off saving up for 20c liths, I reckon. At least I'm glad I did for my Miata conversion.
>>
File: zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg (263 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg
263 KB, 960x640
basically
wear high voltage gloves
and keep a fund for replacement tires as you shred them

also
>0-60 in 3
small time bro
>>
Not gonna lie I'm heaps keen.
>>
>yo famjust put sick new RGB controller on my 游侠 X #hellalyte #glowisalifestyle
>>
Too soon, junior!
>Dumps capacitors
>>
>implying we will be allowed to modify cars in the future
>>
>>14755610
>squirrel cage
>2035
chuckle

High voltage > high amperage
what are you some kind of poorfag?

>700kW inverter each wheel
Probably some ancient V/f crap
>>
>take out some battery cells
>put big-ass KERS capacitors in that space
>put a big red BOOST button the dash

Oh baby.
>>
>>14755610
I wonder how many people are gonna be burnt to a crisp trying to hot rod their EV.
>>
>>14756117
I'm so excited for this.

This is what I studied for.
>>
>>14755610
Yeahhh no.

If you make any changes to your car it will call home, alert the manufacturer, DMV, your insurance company and the police.

This is about safety after all, and with electric cars we will have the capability of verifying %100 vehicle integrity to factory specs at all times.
>>
>>14757178
>drivetrain so simple any codemonkey with an arduino could build an open-source motor controller
>can't call home if you install gentoo
>>
>>14757198
I don't think you are understanding that telemetry will be constantly sent home via a celular data connection, and the instant that stops for an unauthorized reason:
>DMV is notified, registration is suspended
>Insurance company is notified, policy is suspended
>Bank is notified that their vehicle is being tampered with
>Manufacture notified their bank is being tampered with
>Police notified that an unsafe car is being created

It isn't that you can make your own motor controllers. It is that the car will become a trusted platform with unique credentials that constantly verifies its integrity. Maybe you could have a base station that spoofs the radio in the car but then surely all the chargers out in the world will also verify integrity and refuse to charge if you don't have it.

I don't think it would be unimaginable to have a car that does not open service ports unless you put in credentials you have for a service account you keep open with the factory. Of course that account is only available to businesses and can be revoked at any time if it is discovered you are doing anything beyond what the factory authorizes in its training.
>>
>>14755610
Oh fuck no. That sounds as autistic as the vape kiddies now
>>
>>14756244
>have to retrofit solid copper blocks at right angles in place of your original wires with active cooling around them due to the huge resistance to ALL DOSE AMPS
>they literally glow red hot under heavy acceleration with full supercap dump
>the motor brushes spit sparks on takeoff

the future is rad
>>
>>14757287
never will happen on a street car

normies don't want you doing anything like that and with the next generation in cars they will have the tools to have the police at your driveway before you can even take it out on a test drive
>>
>>14757284
There is literally nothing wrong with vaping
>>
>>14757278
mechanics unions will fight that to the death because they'll assume (rightly so) that corps will charge shitloads for those licenses
>>
>>14757278
>This is the future democlaps wants for us.

I want off this wild ride.
>>
>>14757278
>>14757352
>>14757311
You say this like all of America is in a city. A vast massive amount of America is bum fuck nowhere with no reception and very little of any infrastructure. With that being the case, it would be next to impossible to enforce
>>
>>14757373
I guess yuropoors are fucked then.

The cucks gets cucked again :)
>>
>>14757311
>mechanics unions will fight that to the death because they'll assume (rightly so) that corps will charge shitloads for those licenses
Why do you think Tesla is trying to disrupt the status quo dealer/service model?

Just like Uber they want to side step the whole mess, get their system in place, get profitable then once the unions figure out what has happened to them, have the legal fight.

If you do it that way you don't appear to be the new startup threatening peoples jobs, you appear to be progress and the unions appear to be fighting progress out of pure self interest.

Uber wins most of their legal battles because regulators see there is a lot of tax money to be made by letting Taxi unions and medallion systems die out. If Uber wasn't already established, if they didn't already come to the table with a functional alternative, they would likely be losing those cases.
>>
>>14757373
Sandra,
%85 of Americans live in urban areas. And I would guess that %95 of Americans live in areas with 3G coverage.

If you are that %5-%10, they don't care about selling a car to you. Let the old manufacturers fight over those crumbs.

It is like with smart phones, and all the new stuff. Boomers and older can't figure out how to use it. Rarely to do tech companies make any changes to cater to the computer illiterate, there are more than enough people that are literate to buy their products.
>>
>hot rodding with a bazillion coils
>battery formation with the most power
>beast of a track car 1k Horse power but charge lasts a few miles
>quick recharge because of carbon batteries

rad as fuck
>>
>>14757278
>base station spoofer
Nah, they will still be able to tell by the GPS location in each ping that you are traveling faster than allowed, sending drones out to shoot your tires and fly you off to a private prison without a trial

This is the future guys, don't be excited
>>
File: outrun-2019-usa.png (304 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
outrun-2019-usa.png
304 KB, 350x500
>>14757278
>The car will become a trusted platform with unique credentials that constantly verifies its integrity.
You should read up on how horrendously insecure those systems are and how Trusted Platform technology provides a vector for it's own circumvention. You are also assuming all manufacturers will share the same technology and have the same methods.

What if Chrysler builds a car with shitty internal security (like they are doing literally right now), allowing hackers easy access to data that allow the cracking of every other car on the road?

>everything connects to cell data network
ridiculous and unreliable, adds additional cost, massively overloads infrastructure for no reason when the computer systems are more than capable of logging and storing all the necessary data themselves. this also adds another layer of insecurity.

It doesn't matter what cyberpunk dystopia you imagine the automotive industry becoming, there will always be hackers, and by that I simply mean the kind of people who take what they have and make it better. The greater Automotive industry's adoption of this technology will be so slow that it will be rendered ineffective.

The only way to make it truly secure would be to lock it down to the point there's not even a fucking radio, it's just a wheeled tank with an engine computer that can only be read by the NSA.
>>
>>14757310
Don't you have a Denny's to get kicked out of? Manager gets pissed at your sik cloudz
>>
>>14757284
>basic EE knowledge is autistic

yeah it's not as if electric arcs aren't what makes your fucking car work or anything, normie
>>
>>14757441
For at least 10 years, Mercedes has had all the modules in the car check that they are coded to eachother before allowing the car to start. As in if you take the ABS module from one car and swap it to another with out re-coding it with manufacturer supplied tools, the car will refuse to crank.

The master tech I knew that worked at Merc was always fixing cars with modules that stopped communicating thus refused to start. But that didn't stop Merc from using the system.

All that would need to happen in a future car is a hash be generated from the powertrain devices and control modules based on software integrity and sensor values. That gets radioed back to base, if it is what is expected, base radios back and goes yeah you can use your car.

Say its huge, 512 bytes or something. Everybody sending these things every few minutes is not going to do anything to the current cellular data network.

As for standardization. As soon as the government or insurance gets wind of the fact they can disable cars that are outside of regulations or factory specs, all this protocol will become standardized like OBD. It will be sold as safety and everybody will eat it up because who wants to be on the road with Brad and his home modified car.

We aren't talking rocket surgery here, we are talking about a system that refuses to provide service to a cell phone with a flagged IMEI. Or a system that refuses to let you use your OS unless the hardware configuration matches what is registered to the serial at home base.

Sure people get around it with Windows, but I think that is largely based on M$ not really giving a shit. Windows sends back telematics, they know that your version has been tampered with, its just not worth their while to chase all the violators down. But now imagine if there was a government office whose only job was to chase these people down, lots of people WOULD get found and prosecuted.
>>
>>14757287
>future electric cars
>brushed motors
kill yourself my man
>>
>>14755610
Fuck, I hope not.

>mfw I'm the only electrical engineer who doesn't ever want an electric car
>>
File: WITNESSME-Final02.png (7 KB, 797x92) Image search: [Google]
WITNESSME-Final02.png
7 KB, 797x92
>>14755610
"Gearheads never die, they just rebuild "
We'll be around a long long time. God knows I'll never go electric. Even if oil gas becomes illegal it gives me a good reason to make my cars run on alcohol
Combustion engines=best engines
>>
>>14757582
It's the same 14 year old faggot >>14757429
>>14757287, probably OP that doesn't want to accept that government, insurance and finance is going to be all up in this new generation of vehicle.
>>
>>14757596
Word, I need to build a home distillery.

The thing is though, with the shot spotter tech being rolled out in more and more cities, a combustion car will be easily identified against a nearly silent all electric backdrop.
>>
>>14757560
Or you just rip out the electronics and put in a free as in freedom open sauce board. I mean, we're talking the future here, this kind of move will be the LS1 swap of those times, or perhaps even more basic, the iPhone jailbreaking or Cyanogenmod flash. At the same time, that shit opens up a huge security flaw if it had to call in to base to confirm the version. Last year Jeep had a car hacked via Wifi that could just be turned to full trottle at the push of a button by the hacker. What if someone just builds a hack that will give all the cars in range of his wifi antenna some kind of haywire signal that makes the engine shut down mid drive? Try that on the highway around a few cars going 100mph and watch the carnage unfold. I don't think people will want to drive something that can be waved at by some displeased geek and then steers you into the divider.
>>
>>14757607
Don't see why alcohol cars would ever be illegal, alcohol burns extremely fucking clean, I believe the only by products are only O2 and water but I could be wrong.
Imagine having the ability to grow your own fuel I think lefties would get in on it because alcohol burns clean and all the plants need to make it would "reduce your carbon footprint "
>>
>slippery slope arguments, the thread
>>
>>14757612
>Or you just rip out the electronics and put in a free as in freedom open sauce board.
How are you going to register or insure the car if maintain both are based on 360 daily spot checks of system integrity.

How are you going to access the electronics to rip out if the car sends a tamper signal when access panels are opened with out first keying in service credentials.

As cars sit right now there is the suspicion that the alphabet soup can remotely trigger the stability control system to steer your car into a wall or tree. %99 of people do not know nor care.

Teslas are already cellular data connected and constantly calling back to home base. They are likely susceptible to exactly what you describe. And quite frankly I agree with you, IT IS FUCKING TERRIFYING. But they got 150k preorders for their new car, normies don't give a damn. Unless something biblicaly terrible happens, they are going to continue trusting in the narrative that Tesla knows what they are doing. It's the same way they believe a guy doing work on his car at home can't possibly meet the same 'high' quality standard dealership techs work to. A few of us know that is complete bullshit but most of us don't.
>>
>>14757647
>As cars sit right now there is the suspicion that the alphabet soup can remotely trigger the stability control system to steer your car into a wall or tree. %99 of people do not know nor care.
i'm amazed you managed to keep the terms "wake up" and "sheeple" out of your post
>>
File: system report you are fucked.png (61 KB, 738x576) Image search: [Google]
system report you are fucked.png
61 KB, 738x576
>>14757647
Well, as an engineering student, shit always breaks and if any system were that wired up then chances are that it would be firing on all OMG EVERYTHING IS BROKEN / BEING BROKEN INTO cylinders at all times. If it were to try and lock the vehicle down every time some kind of alarm is tripped then the vehicle would likely not run two days in a row. This is just basic experience speaking; the real world sucks if you're a machine and 90% of the noise you make will be dumb bleating about stuff that doesn't matter. In order to have these machines running at all they WILL have to play very fast and loose with any system like this and the resistance against it from car clubs like the ADAC here in Germany would still be monumental even then.

And the only people who buy Teslas are richfags with enough money not to care for basic things like laws and rights because they have the cash to just buy their rights whenever they want to. Stay cool friend-o, there's still lots of sensible people in the world.
>>
>>14757618
>Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat... Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a license.

-Demolition Man

You are wrong, Ethanol is a hydrocarbon and produces CO2. Most of the fuel grown in the world today is grown with fertilizer derived from crude oil. If we didn't do this to constantly pump minerals back into the soil we would quickly deplete the soil (see ancient Rome). The whole thing is more about feeling good than actually being green as more energy is lost than just using oil and it does not close the carbon cycle.
>>
>>14755610
is this the cringe thread?
>>
>>14757645
Electric cars always brings out the kneejerking luddites. But hey, if kit cars were banned, so will custom made controllers and motors be banned too. Oh wait.
>>
>>14757676
I work with enterprise device and user access administration. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>14757690
I thought that was obvious from "as an engineering student".
>>
>>14755626
'lectric cars have a lot of torque.
Power, not so much.
>>
>>14757690
Oh sure, I know it works with computers, because those only deal with electric signals going in and out of the plugs and are in very nice heated and climate controlled environments, but how about
>hit bad pothole
>some anti-tampering switch is flipped because some plastic cover popped open somewhere
>OMG THIS DUDE IS HACKING HIS CAR SHUT IT DOWN
>you're left stranded in the middle of nowhere
Day one buy for sure.
>>
>>14757688
the other that things will be banned, if they ever are

>kit cars
>motorcycles
>classic car driving
>diy maintenance of any kind
>manual car driving

once there is any kind of serious political will to ban kit cars (there is none), i'll be worried
>>
>>14757708
There's also cars with no catalytic converters or airbags that haven't been banned. The most that will happen will be that new mass market cars will have to deal with these new requirements, but smaller volume cars won't. It may be a shame though because it might be the end of the modern sports car, but it won't suddenly mean that gas is banned and the government is out to ruin all cars forever.
>>
>>14757704
I specifically work with static hardware but I have seen what people can do with mobile device administration, it is nothing short of comprehensively powerful.

You bring up a valid scenario. They would probably spot that in testing though and possibly devise a solution where the management is more tolerant of faults like that while GPS and wheel speed sensors indicate the car is in motion. Or perhaps a 1 second fault is discarded.

Sure that would also provide a vector for hackers, but then how many people would want to mess with their car if to open a panel they have to depress a case switch within 1 second of opening otherwise the car breaks, their registration is suspended, the event is logged and the factory has to come out to re activate it.
>>
>>14757429
*quick recharge because of graphene capacitors
FTFY
>>
Post oil, there would be more people homebrewing ethanol and doing conversions and shit too. I'd imagine that that would be people's primary choice instead of buying new electric cars from dealerships or doing conversions. New cars are just getting more and more expensive.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if people just started gutting old, light junkers and doing electric conversions before buying a new car.
==================
That being said: AWD with regenerative braking, liquid nitrogen cooling for boost mode, subwoofer delete, manual window upgrade, power steering delete, differential delete, opposed twin motor tank steering, and distributed lithium battery packs all over the car. Filled glove compartment, doors, trunk, spare tire space, everywhere. Fuck it, wiper fluid reservoir delete, more battery space. Those things are huge.
>>
>>14757732
>New cars are just getting more and more expensive.
considering inflation they arent
>>
>>14757732
Honestly, an electric conversion seems more simple than an ethanol swap/conversion. There's much less to do, wiring a motor and a controller isn't that difficult. It'd be much more durable than ICE, too, as lithium batteries continue to improve.
>>
>>14757745
I am considering inflation. Wages aren't keeping up with inflation, and they haven't been for a while. Cars, along with everything else, are getting harder and harder to afford. Highschoolers aren't buying brand new mustangs on rollerskate-waitress paychecks like they did WAY back in the day. In the inevitable dystopian future where oil is gone, it's going to get even worse because manufacturing costs are also going to skyrocket.
>>
>>14757596
That's where you're wrong. Electric motors are much more efficient than even a wankel motor. I have a use for alcohol (lol, low energy density fuel), but it isn't for engines.
>>
>>14757747
> seems more simple than an ethanol swap/conversion. There's much less to do, wiring a motor and a controller isn't that difficult

until you actually try to control a motor
modern control methods will nead a fucking 0.5GFLOP cpu and this is just for 1 motor without and fancy things
>>
>>14757789
In a world where electric conversions are common, many companies will sell controllers as a plug-n-play black box.
>>
>>14757774
>wankel motor
>efficient
And it's purely hypothetical just a "green" alternative to regular gasoline
>>
can't wait to formulate my car's megabytes desu
>>
>>14757806
not having GNU/SVM controller or as i've recently taken to call it GNU + SVM
>>
File: 1456603728433.jpg (36 KB, 343x756) Image search: [Google]
1456603728433.jpg
36 KB, 343x756
>>14757774

I work with big honkin' electric motors all day. Put one in my car? Nigguh no way.

But seriously, even smallish bow thrusters on 330V pulling 200A are a pain in the rectum. Shit some of the AC pumping systems are giving us heartache. Huge inrush currents and the controllers on one vessel in particular are old and generate a lot of harmonics. Fifth and eleventh are strong in this setup so we are pulling huge amounts of current and some of that current is being used to counter the force of the electric motor trying to turn backwards since both fifth and eleventh are negative sequence harmonics. I understand that the modern controllers and inverters are quite good but if you got a three pole brush or brushless you gonna enjoy those fifth and seventh and if you go 'modern' with a six pole you gonna enjoy those ninth and eleventh.

Big ol' diesel for me until I perish, I think. And a big blown alcoholic eight with zoomies.
>>
>>14757974
Can't you filter that?
>>
>>14757990
Holy shit, what a good idea! I bet the guy who designed the controller never thought of doing that.
>>
>>14758006
I guess so, yes.
>>
Why are you saying that carmakers, the guvment and the insurance companies (ok, this one I think that would push for something like this) will make such an elaborate system for what? Why waste resources as a maker putting 2 or more sensors and switches plus cables and software, plus the infrastructure and enforcing the bullshit? And that's just a little part of the system that some keep on parroting
>>
File: 3.jpg (99 KB, 600x676) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
99 KB, 600x676
>>14757990

You can, to an extent. Low amplitude even order harmonics and some positive order harmonics can be filtered by capacitance. Triplen harmonics it's a bit harder to do economically and practically in terms of the heat output and service life of the filter.

If the motor can take the extra current and not be harmed then it's a matter of whether filtering the output is necessary. But it is wasted potential energy and increases both the demand for current and the power compression as the stator heats up further due to the increase in current.

Horses for courses, I can understand why this is a logical step away from fossil fuels but the electric motor and aux to drive them can be as fickle as an internal combustion engine.
>>
>>14758077
It would be an elaborate system 20 years ago. Now it is simply automated device management. You ever cancel your insurance policy and notice that within a week you get a nastygram from your DMV letting you know your vehicle registration is about to be suspended. It is the same idea, just two or three generations further down the line as smart cars will make it incredibly easy for oversight and integrity checks.

Just like with your insurance enforcement is automated. Most police departments on the west coast already have license plate readers on their cars. Tampering with your car would just be one more way to get your registration suspended.

Insurance companies do not want you making alterations to your vehicle outside of factory specs because they want to know exactly the risk they are taking by writing you a policy.

Manufacturers do not want you making alterations to your vehicle because it voids their ability to collect telemetry, it can create negative PR, it can waste their time denying warranty claims, and it can get them in trouble with the government.
>>
>>14758077
>>14758244

The government does not want you modifying your vehicle because you are most likely to put it out of compliance with safety standards they have established, plus speed=bad. The cheapest way to ensure compliance is to enforce compliance at the factory level and have tamper sensors at the vehicle level.

The bank does not want you modifying your vehicle because you are altering the value of their asset. If you default on their loan they may be left with a car that requires restoration to be liquidated.

Then on top of all this are the safety considerations around automated guidance systems. Can they adapt to different motors or tires than they have been calibrated for? Can they adapt to stand alone drive-train management? Does anybody want to share the road with somebody who tinkers with their self driving car as a hobby? The answer is a resounding no, and technology will be used to prevent this from happening.
>>
File: 1451757110398.png (522 KB, 500x737) Image search: [Google]
1451757110398.png
522 KB, 500x737
>open thread
>expect conversation about electric motor modification and controller programming and reassurance that the hobby will survive well into the future
>receive a point by point unrefutable explanation on how your hopes and dreams will be destroyed in the near future
>decide if it's worth it to kill myself over this
>you will never stop society from being increasingly collectivistic
I can't think of another driving force in my life.
>>
>>14758682
I wrote most of the points.

As one anon pointed out, this is mostly going to be limited to cities. And yeah I agree with you cities are going to become more and more collectivist until all forms of conventional fun are banned (but at least those dumbshits will have their safe space).

So move to the country. Call your friends faggots and have a laugh about it. Build your fire breathing monster. Or your custom electric car assembled from the pieces of 5 or 6th generation electric city cars. Land will still be cheap, population density will still be low, and oversight will still be virtually non existent.
>>
File: 1457337489253.jpg (23 KB, 519x521) Image search: [Google]
1457337489253.jpg
23 KB, 519x521
>>14757310
no but there's a lot wrong with "vapers"
and by that i mean the vape enthusiasts rather than people who just happen to vape
>>
>>14755610
I was kneejerk against electric cars when they first started to become big again. Just didn't seem right.
But after seeing more and more people build their own I've kind of warmed to them.
I think it was the electric twungi that tipped the balance for me.
>>
>>14758846
Electric cars are great, companies like Tesla will make us hate them.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (22 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
22 KB, 384x384
>>14758827
\//\
>>
>>14758846
You faggots are all as contrarian and hipster as /v/.
The technology is cool, but because Reddit likes it you automatically shit on it.
>>
>>14759359
Yeah I guess if you want to be obtuse.

I have no problem with electric cars. I think performance hybrids like the 919 or P1 are a great thing to have in the world.

What I really don't like and I will never cease to shit on are companies like Tesla attempting to make smart cars that are going to invite invasive oversight and oppressive regulation.
>>
bootleg electric cars when?
>>
>>14758247
If you don't break speeding laws, how are they going to get money from your tickets?
>>
>>14757747
Ethanol conversion is just a sensor and an ECU flash. Takes about 10 minutes with basic hand tools.
>>
>>14760072
depends on the vehicle. 100% ethanol will eat your fuel lines if not the right type.
>>
>>14759359
I have never been on Reddit in my life and have no idea what they like or don't like.
>>
And if this future ever comes I will be sitting here with my ethanol still that I have a permit for and denature it. I have already does E85 capable conversion on all but 1 vehicle I own and that's because warranty. Walbro 450 pumps for the win! Big ass injectors and turbos is what I've got.
>>
>>14759907
Now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZuShe0gefY
>>
>>14757745
wrong
>>
>>14758827
> this
I vape only because cigs made my old blazer smell like ass and when I got my stealth I didn't want it to smell the same. The fags with 1000000 watt competition premium mechanical box mods with ten coil rdas that blow Hella sik clouds at every single car meet absolutely piss me off.
>>
>>14757414
Before I continue reading your post I must ask. Why are you writing the percentage symbol on the wrong side of the number?
>>
>>14757278
Fuck off cuck. We don't all want to be cucks like you in the future
>>
>>14757373
I just drove from Houston to Austin and back without losing cell reception
>>
>>14760865
Fuck yeah turbos and E85
>>
>>14757560
Mercedes does that for several reasons, one of which is to reduce the desirability of their cars for theft. Same reason radios have codes in other cars. Not starting the car if not all modules are green is a very German safety feature that prevents damage to the vehicle. The kind of person who can afford a Mercedes can surely afford to be late to work once. We're not talking about the Mercedes of the future, but the Corolla and the Civic, the cars that will actually run while missing half their components because they're being owned by their 5th teenage girl.

Human beings still need to perform the DOT inspections, and probably will continue to do so. Your automated cellular killswitch system costs jobs by circumventing the established method of automotive inspection, when it would be better to have a short-range wireless protocol for scan tools and only let the car upload data to the manufacturer when specifically asked to do so by the technician.

>>14757647
>How are you going to register or insure the car if maintain both are based on 360 daily spot checks of system integrity.
A hacked telemetry unit could send 'all green', and without a visual inspection the manufacturer would never know. Your system sets up too many possibilities where the car could refuse to start in an emergency, too.

>>14757722
>Sure that would also provide a vector for hackers, but then how many people would want to mess with their car if to open a panel they have to depress a case switch within 1 second of opening otherwise the car breaks, their registration is suspended, the event is logged and the factory has to come out to re activate it.

That's plausible, but really stupid. It would make it a pain in the ass to service legally and add unneeded electronic complexity. No manufacturer will waste the time trying to make the cars literally uncrackable with unreliable killswitch bullshit when they can just hire the people who crack them.
>>
>>14758817
>Land will still be cheap, population density will still be low
the joys of being american
yurolander from some small country, I know I'll never own any form of housing because land is pretty much the most expensive thing there is.
Considering moving to Murrica, Poland or Stralya, any place where you have large pieces of land full of nothing that you can buy and then build something, anything.

>>14758846
tesla is just plain unappealing for people who actually like to have some amount of control over what they have (which is the case here, like it or not, and be it efficient or retarted, 4chan's specialized boards usually propote some sort of DIY mentality) with their Apple-like fuckery. Stuff like the all-electric Morgan three-wheeler or the Zombi musclecar are appealing.
>>
>>14761477
>That's plausible, but really stupid. It would make it a pain in the ass to service legally and add unneeded electronic complexity.
How? You are a tesla certified tech, you key in your credentials and now you can open the service panels with out triggering repercussions.

>A hacked telemetry unit could send 'all green', and without a visual inspection the manufacturer would never know. Your system sets up too many possibilities where the car could refuse to start in an emergency, too.
I'm not saying any time the car detects a lack of integrity that it fails to work. What I am saying is that it reports back that it has been tampered with. If it is something like unauthorized repairs or access to service parts, or on self check it detects that the motor isn't the same then it doesn't allow itself to be driven.

>people will run these cars into the ground and doing everything automated will cost jobs
Gee I wonder why people might want an automated integrity check on these cars?

The only reason why you would do it short range by a technician is because it is the 1990s and you don't have a far reaching data network with well developed management tools.

Seriously, take a step back, and look at how organizations manage their mobile devices. When you have a car like a tesla that is sending telemetry and accepting updates over the cellular data network, you have everything in place for what I have described.

This will be the future, mark my words.
>>
>>14755610
its funny because non of you know shit all about microcircutry or electronics or electricity on this advanced of a level and will never know specificly how any of these cars will work
>>
>>14761933
so, just like current /o/ that doesnt know shit about ICE
>>
>>14761347

It's like putting the dollar sign before the number

$100 ("Dollar hundred")
>>
Driving under tunnel, or parking garage=cell signal loss= and lose warranty? Normie class action Lawsuits out the ass.
>>
>>14761926
>You are a tesla certified tech, you key in your credentials and now you can open the service panels with out triggering repercussions.
What if the main battery is dead and you can't just key in your master password? What if the center console is broken? What if there is a problem with the transmitters or antennae and there's no network connection?

>If it is something like unauthorized repairs or access to service parts, or on self check it detects that the motor isn't the same then it doesn't allow itself to be driven.
This won't be done with any kind of hardware key, but rather the ECU will probably only let the motor draw a certain amount of current, so you could put a beefier motor in there but it won't be any more powerful than the stock one without a reflash.

>The only reason why you would do it short range by a technician is because it is the 1990s and you don't have a far reaching data network with well developed management tools.
No you do it that way so you can sell the specialized diagnostic hardware/software and service manuals to techs and make more money. There is a very good reason why cars are user-serviceable and why there is an entire industry built around it. If you build a car that can't be repaired or bricks itself if it decides it didn't like what you did, you end up with a disposable product that wastes natural resources, and your brand name will be regarded as one that makes fashion accessories disguised as cars (see Apple).

Also Nissan tried to do this with the GT-R, using telemetry and GPS location to figure out if you were at a race track or using launch control and automatically void your warranty. You can't say that "feature" did not hurt the cars and Nissans reputation a little.
>>
>>14755610
you mean hey lets race after i pay my electric bill for charging my car once 2k
>>
>>14763565
>There is a very good reason why cars are user-serviceable and why there is an entire industry built around it.
Do Tesla buyers seem to you like people who want to or are capable of servicing a car themselves?

Normal people don't go to vatozone, only Jorge and /o/tists
>>
>>14757768
I for one hope the inevitable dystopian future is more Mad Max than this cyberghey crap
>>
>>14758077
Because it creates jobs and supports the prison industrial complex
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.