[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to drive a manual anymore other than personal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
File: bmw-m4-coupe-gear-shifter.jpg (120 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bmw-m4-coupe-gear-shifter.jpg
120 KB, 1280x720
Is there any reason to drive a manual anymore other than personal enjoyment? automatics can now simulate manual quite well. Also automatics are faster than manuals and are the same or better in almost every way.
>>
>>14755411
>americanos
>>
>>14755411
In older cars it's still better, also, manuals tend to be easier/cheaper to maintain.
The fact that you can brake on the engine is also a plus, tho VW's PDK has removed the need for double clutching.

I have actually never driven an automatic before though, so correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>14755411
Fuck off Jimmie.
>>
>>14755411
yeah, it's only personal enjoyment.
who cares about that?
>>
You can prove you're not a cuck
>>
>>14755477
Me and my benis
>>
>>14755411
>automatics can now simulate manual quite well

When will autocucks learn that saying this is a tell they have never worked a clutch in their life?
>>
>>14756130
baka
desu
senpai
>>
It's ok if you don't want to learn, OP
Surely you don't need anyone's validation
>>
>>14755411
Having ultimate control over your shift points is always better than letting some computer system shift for you.
Not only is it better for staying in the power band, but it is better for fuel economy as well. More control taken away from the driver might appeal to someone who hates driving, but to the rest of us its a ridiculous hand holding system for women and babies.
>>
>>14756185
+1

They are nothing alike.

But there is also reliability and ease of service compared to an auto. And I don't even want to think about rebuilding a new double clutch automatic.
>>
>>14756439
>i am smarter than the computah

this is what you sound like

btw you aren't

the computer just isn't set up to redline your engine to hell
>>
>>14756456
fuck off cunt
>>
Theft proofing for the hood.

Niggers can't drive stick. Or swim.
>>
>>14756456
Is this b8? A computer really shouldn't controlling the transmission when a human is controlling the pedals. The computer doesn't know what's going on in the road ahead. With a manual, you're always in the gear that you need to be in, and never stuck trying to accelerate while the computer is slowly upshifting to a slower gear.
>>
>>14756456
How would the computer know if I'm about to hit a hill?
>>
>>14756439
>>14758355
>>14758376

>what is intro to feedback control

Have any of you actually driven an automatic that wasnt your parents growing up?
>>
>>14758355
Why would it need to? If you brake, the torque converter automatically unlocks, decoupling the engine and transmission. The transmission also downshifts so when you stop braking, your already in the right gear.
>>
File: 1459295405450.jpg (33 KB, 398x392) Image search: [Google]
1459295405450.jpg
33 KB, 398x392
>>14758355
/thread
>tfw glorious 450Nm Diesel torks make you stay in 5th gear from 50 to 180kmh while still having enough power to accelerate decently fast if you need it
>tfw 4.5l/100km (55MPG US)

There is literally no reason to use anything but a manual Diesel as a daily driver.
>>
>>14758401
With a name like Vernon I bet you roll coal too.
>>
Is there any reason to drive a manual anymore other than personal enjoyment?
yes, sequential manuals are faster and lighter

>Also automatics are faster than manuals
lmaoing at this dumb cuck
>>
File: 1459147852488.jpg (129 KB, 862x446) Image search: [Google]
1459147852488.jpg
129 KB, 862x446
>>14758416
>wanting to artificially lower you're MPG for no reason
"no"
>>
>>14758395
>Have any of you actually driven an automatic
no because i am not a cuck
>>
>>14758401
>Finding a gas station that has diesel in the middle of a city.
>Paying 2 more dollars for diesel
>>
>>14755411
>Is there any reason to drive a manual anymore other than personal enjoyment?
Honestly no, but that's not a bad thing
>automatics can now simulate manual quite well.
Show me an automatic with a clutch pedal and/or an h shifter. Flappy paddles and slap shift are not accurate simulations
>Also automatics are faster than manuals and are the same or better in almost every way.
Not in sub 40k a to b appliance cars they're not. Plus you can't pop start an auto

>replying honestly to bait
>>
>>14756456
>implying Redlining actually damages the engine.

You auto cucks again and again prove you don't know shit about cars.
>>
Are there any autos that skip gears?
>>
>>14758395
No it doesnt know, and by the time the fucking computer figures it out, I'm already losing speed and it has to up shift AGAIN to get any power from the gutless 4 cylinder it's attached to.

Automatics should be attached to soulless people carriers with enough low end torque and horsepower for the transmission to not have to downshift every goddamn time it encounters some mild resistance.

FUCK
>>
>>14758456
Fucking rekt. OP BTFO
>>
>>14755411

Not really, no. I mean unless you think drifting has real practical purposes.

When it comes to modern sportscars automatics are usually just as fast (or faster) than their manual counterparts. It's not always the case though since many of the low end econoboxes still don't have very responsive shifts and you might as well keep it in D.
>>
>>14755411
Driving even the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions (PDK, DCT, DSG, etc.) is just boring. It makes me want to pull out my phone and die in a fiery texting-and-driving crash. Plus, they're not all that great at predicting what you're going to do next, which results in shifts that are just as slow as they would be with a manual transmission.

Example:
>driving a car with dual clutch automated manual
>cruising along in 3rd gear
>transmission assumes your next shift will be an upshift, gets 4th gear prepared
>you decide you want to downshift, tap paddle to go down into 2nd gear
>transmission now has to disengage 4th, and then grab 2nd gear in order to complete the downshift
>this process takes much longer than the advertised "100 millisecond shift time," and can result in a clunky shift

Now obviously these transmissions are superior to manuals when taken on the track, because it's pretty easy for the ECU to determine if you want to shift up or down when you're driving the car at its' limit. Regardless, the track day will be much more enjoyable with a manual car, even if your shifts are a tad bit slower.

Manual for life. Any real auto enthusiast will agree.
>>
>>14758456
My work Truck does. Has a gear indicator and I'll see it skip from 4th to 6th when I stop accelerating.
>>
>>14755477
girls who get them panties wet when they see me expertly shift gears
>>
Is there any reason to necessarily drive an automatic transmission? it's subjective and entirely preferential.

>Automatics can now simulate manual quite well.
Actually decent DCT's and sequential's can, but your average planetary slushbox or CVT doesn't even compare.

>Also automatics are faster than manuals and are the same or better in almost every way.
Again, unless it's an expensive DCT or sequential gearbox, there's no way in hell an automatic is going to be faster than it's equivalent manual transmission.
>>
>>14758573
None of the transmissions you listed are autos and you've never driven a car with one.
>>
>>14758865
A decent auto like the ZF8HP will be pretty much indistinguishable from a DCT/Sequential.
>>
Modern autos are hella gay
Smgs are finicky crap
Dual clutches work good but are heavy/expensive/complicated
>>
File: 727 clutchflite.jpg (12 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
727 clutchflite.jpg
12 KB, 274x184
>>14758865
Autos can be very fast

It's just the modern ones that are extra slushy in order to be smooth.
>>
>>14759081
But when are generic autos ever setup out of the factory to shift fast? Practically never.

They are almost always designed for fuel economy and smoothness.
>>
>>14758879
>hurr DCT/PDK/DSG aren't automatics durrr
If it doesn't have a clutch pedal its not a manual, can't be both either.
>>
>>14758433

>"Do you have any experience to back up that claim?"

>"N-no"
>>
>>14759165
>there are only two types of transmissions
>the suggestion there are others makes me upset
>>
>>14759081
727s are fucking masterrace
>>
>>14759191
>implying you're not just making up a bullshit category that doesn't exist.
It really just boils down to automatic or manual at the end of the day. The only special snowflake transmission that voids this are some types of sequential's, that's it.

The definition of a manual transmission is a user operated clutch pedal, clicking a paddle doesn't count.
>>
>>14759237
>implying you're not just making up a bullshit category that doesn't exist.
It exists for those of us who work on them. When I call to order a part I specify the type of transmission. If I say "automatic" I'll get parts for an automatic, not a sequential. Maybe for people like you that have only been exposed to these transmissions through reading about them on the internet the concept that there are more than two transmission types is confusing, but for normal people it's an easy concept to stomach.
>>
File: 1315970015358.jpg (58 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1315970015358.jpg
58 KB, 251x251
Reliability, less weight and in most sportscars, increased resale value.
>>
>>14758395

>>14758355 here, I'm a murican, so yes I have. Automatics are fucking stupid. The torque converter makes it overly smooth and slow feeling, they take forever to shift, and I can't just downshift a gear or two when I want to overtake. And it certainly doesn't help that an auto trans is more expensive.
I don't mind paddle DCTs but those are even pricier than autos
>>
>>14759267
But it still doesn't mean that those categories actually have any technically correct meaning beyond identification or name sake purposes.

Again, any transmission that doesn't involve a user actuating a clutch pedal IS NOT a manual transmission. That's how it works.

I added "some sequential's" because some are truly semi-auto for the fact they only require the clutch for 1st gear but automatically actuate it afterwards for the rest.
>>
>>14759315
Sounds like you are an expert, I'll go ahead and shoehorn every trans into two categories from now on (although it will make it impossible to refer to the transmissions correctly) because the idea that there are more than two types might cause someone who has never and will never use the transmissions in question to throw a tism tantrum.
>>
>>14755422
Autos with a Steptronic/Tiptronic systems can engine brake too by selecting a lower gear.
>>
>>14755419
americans are the only cars still offered in true manual anymore...
>>
>>14759331
I was never implying that you needed to shoehorn every trans into two categories numbnuts, I don't have an issue with loose names or naming conventions.

What I have an issue with is people who actually believe "muh DCT/DSG/PDK is essentially a manual" when they're technically not. I know i'm being autistic but it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>14755411
>tfw wanna build sick sleepers
>tfw the perfect sleepers are auto only
>tfw no 2jz swap supercharged venza
>>
>>14755422

BMW sport mode will engine brake
>>
>>14755411
Besides ease of repairs (have you seen what it costs to fix an smg transmission?), no.

I'll take my manual, thank you.
>>
>>14755411
anti theft.
>>
Most econoboxes have really awful automatic transmissions, so most people here opt for manuals for reliability.
>>
Because it's better. More enjoyable, more economical, better fuel economy, more reliable. Even Porsche is going back to it.

But of course, with all the retards borderline soccer moms in here who can't do an oil change, you gonna find a lot of autotragic lovers.
>>
>HAVE U EVER DRIVEN AN AUTO!?
It's not fucking special to have driven autos.
>WELL I BET UV ONLY DRIVEN OLD AUTOS
It's not fucking special to have driven new, or fairly new cars.
I swear to God auto apologists are a bunch of eastern europeans living in small villages.

Fact of the matter is, if you're an enthusiast, you would want a manual.
If you're a casual you might be indifferent to the transmission in a sports car, but want an auto for a commuter.
And if you're a faggot you'll want auto period.
>>
>>14755411
... more to go wrong in an auto. ask a mechanic. They die more.

And I don't feel as cool
>>
Wow, this guy's a dick.
>>
Well you know, manuals are not only faster but they're cheaper on gas (this can depend on how you drive your manual) and can be cheaper on insurance....usually.
>>
>>14759183
>how can you say you dont like cuckoldry if you have never tried it

autotragic cucks are fucking retarded
>>
>>14755411
>automatics can now simulate manual quite well
This is wrong, my car has a "manual" mode and it sucks.
>>
>>14755422
>manuals tend to be easier/cheaper to maintain.
The likelihood you will fuck something up is higher in a manual drivetrain to start with

>The fact that you can brake on the engine is also a plus
Not over modern autos.

>>14760373
There is a difference between can and do to be fair.

Fun things are fun.
>>
File: P_20160401_174844.jpg (387 KB, 1475x830) Image search: [Google]
P_20160401_174844.jpg
387 KB, 1475x830
>>14760501
>Fun things are fun.
Few joys in life that remain in my life. DSG and tiptronic whatever are very responsive and good at predicting what I want to do when I did test drives, but not nearly as much fun as a stick.
If you live in a city like what I've been doing lately you're better off with a tiny car with cvt or taking public transport/bike to work.
>>
>>14760501
>he likelihood you will fuck something up is higher in a manual drivetrain to start with

If you've driven longer than 100 miles it isn't
>>
>>14760373
Mine too. I really wish I didn't pussy out and just learned to drive manual when I was younger.
>>
>>14765297
It's even worse when your first car was a manual and having to drive an auto after that.
>>
File: 20160311_170758.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160311_170758.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Speaking from personal experience in enjoyment

dog box manual (Jerico) > well prepped synchro manual > true sequential > well prepped auto (manual valve body, high stall converter) > wet clutch DCT > automated dry clutch sequential (Ferrari family) > shitbox auto > shitbox manual > CVT

Haven't driven a planetary gear trans like a Lenco but they look like fun. Non synchro I've only used in an old fire truck off road, probably wouldn't be fun on road but still better than a CVT.
>>
>>14762685
>CC
mah nigga
thats not the original shift knob right? the rubber on mine is peeling
>>
>>14755411

It's fun on weekends, but DD'ing a manual sucks dick. It's just extra work to get places.
>>
>>14765573
>shitbox auto > shitbox manual
>implying half the enjoyment of driving a shitbox doesn't come from shifting all the time
>>
File: interior.jpg (338 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
interior.jpg
338 KB, 1280x960
>>14765581
No its original. I'm guessing you have the r line(pic related) or something which have a different shift knob.
>>
Everyone thinks they are badass racers like the MC of Initial D or the Fast and Furious movies. Not that I have anything against it. Spending massive amounts of money on upgrading parts and barely getting any use out of them. If it helps get the chicks with the bad boy image then it is all that matters.

It's hard for me to get laid when I'm driving my automatic 4-door toyota corolla all stock. I do have some third party hub caps installed though...
>>
>>14765694
>implying everyone who drives a manual car is modding the shit out of it and does sikk drifts to win street races and girls

I drive a manual because I would probably fall asleep at the wheel if I had the level of interaction an automatic gives you.

I also prefer to spend less on transmission rebuilds and maintenance. A clutch in my car lasts 150k miles with a good driver. A new clutch, throwout bearing, and a resurfaced flywheel for my car is about $200 said and done depending on who does the resurfacing.

Not to mention manual versions of econoboxes are generally a couple grand cheaper than their automatic counterparts.
>>
>>14755411
This spam again?

99% of automatics are STILL 100% worse than manuals in every way and situation. It hasn't changed in the last month. Fuck off troll.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.