[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best car for learning about cars? I know jack-diddly-squat about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
Best car for learning about cars?

I know jack-diddly-squat about working on cars, but I'm getting a car soon and I want something I can learn with.

I assume I'm looking for something easy to fix, with tons of available spare parts.

>inb4 miata
>>
File: sticky.jpg (3 MB, 3842x2920) Image search: [Google]
sticky.jpg
3 MB, 3842x2920
Need advice on buying a good, cheap, used car? Look here!

If you live in the US, this chart is your best place to start looking. International posters outside the US may have region specific options not shown here!
>>
Literally any common place Japanese import will probably be easy enough to do your own servicing.

Or just get a miata.
>>
Volvo 240. Piss easy to work on and parts are available enough to not be a problem. 88-93 are the best years.
>>
File: 34 shot.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
34 shot.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>14754842

Subaru Outback Wagon

For learning about the basics of maintenance, these things are dead-simple. All fluids can be changed without jacking up the car. Brakes and axles are a piece of cake.

It gets complicated if any hardcore engine things need to be done, but as far as learning the bare basics, you can't go wrong with an Outback.
>>
literally any pre-2000 econobox
small and simple engines are easy to work on
>>
>>14755097
>boxer engine
>dead simple
lol
>>
File: 20160226_144723.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160226_144723.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>14754892
honestly, miata. look how easy it is to get to everything in the engine bay. also, parts are cheap and easy to find.
>>
Any pre 2000 Toyota or honda. Any of them.
>>
File: 30884560027_large.jpg (151 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
30884560027_large.jpg
151 KB, 575x431
>>14755191
even a previa?
>>
Already have a stable DD. Alfa Romeo GTV 2 as a learn about cars car, or is that too ambitious?
>>
>>14755204
Minivans of almost all makes are terrible to work on.
>>
>>14754842
Basically what everyone else is saying. Some reliable nip import from the 90s. You don't want something too new because it will be more complex. Civic, corolla, etc. If you want to get some mad hons in, maybe an s2000, but those are more expensive to find in good condition.aybe that's what you're into though.
>>
late 80's Ford F-150, especially with the 300ci straight six

bullet proof engine so go ahead and mistreat it, it can take the abuse.
>>
One of the reasons to get a RWD car with a manual transmission is because they're generally easier to work on Miatas are definitely on this list but trucks are even simpler with even more space to work and body-on-frame construction. Also, get something common as parts will be much much cheaper than for special snowflakes.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.