[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Conquest possibly blew the head gasket, so I took it to a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 140309_0005.jpg (277 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
140309_0005.jpg
277 KB, 1600x1200
My Conquest possibly blew the head gasket, so I took it to a reputable shop near me to have them replace the gasket since I don't feel mechanically competent enough to do that on my own. Shop estimate was around 1200$. They pulled the plugs and it seems that the #2 cylinder is scored. My question may come off as noob-ish, but how should I proceed on this motor? How much does a rebuilt motor usually cost? Is is it better to just buy a new motor and if so where would I do that?

Thanks for your replies. Wish I was handier, but I don't exactly feel comfortable rebuilding an engine.
>>
>>14751035
Never buy a used engine unless it's super low mileage. Always get a reman if possible.
>>
File: 1454473537903.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1454473537903.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14751035
Replacing the Conquest headgasket is easy, do it yourself if you have the tools.

Also, owning a Starquest requires you to have all the tools, and spare parts.
Its not a turnkey car.

Shit, $1,200 is how much I paid for mine.

You can buy a built G54B for $1,000 and a running one for about $400.

Where are you located?
>>
>>14751035
also, these are known to get hairline fracture on cylinder #2 between the valves. Its quite possible you have one.
>>
>>14751061
I know that the Conquest is not a turn-key car. I've done a lot of simple stuff - 1G MAF, Injectors, new Airdam,sorted a lot of wiring troubles - I have all the correct tools but I don't have the time or ability to truly dig into the motor. I bought mine for 5000 4 years ago, when it had about 40K less on the clock, and it was in good shape. I probably overpayed by about 1000 if I'm honest. As it sits, if it was running, I would think its worth between 6000-8000. Seen comparable 'quests sell for that.

I'm located in Georgia. Where's the best place to pick up a motor? Do you think mine is trashed?
>>
>>14751183
To a compression test.
Are you burning oil?
are you loosing coolant?

What kind of injectors? All of the aftermarket ones have the wrong spray pattern, its best to find a working pair of stock ones.
1G MAS makes your shit run hella rich. Stick with stock.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21

my buddy here is selling a machined engine ready for assembly.
http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149947
>>
>>14751035
conquest. not many around where i live but i always wanted one
>>
>>14751292
On the compression test I had no compression cylinder 2 or 3. Wasn't loosing coolant. No oil on coolant/coolant in oil. It did have a small oil leak on the front of the motor, and it may have burned oil slightly, maybe a quart low between oil changes every 3000 mi.
>>
>>14751422
no compression at all? that's pretty bad. Piston rings could be gone completely, bad valve.

I suggest you park it in a garage, and start removing things. Start with removing the head, and go from there. You dont need too many special tools for that. But do need a garage.
>>
>>14751437
if the cylinder/piston is jacked, is it even worth rebuilding tho? would it be better just to swap another motor in?
>>
>>14751035
Just go with a 4G63T swap
>>
>>14751934
I am doing a 1JZ swap, its about $4,000 and you need someone who can weld for you, and do a wire harness.

Some folks think that doing a 4G swap is cheaper, and easy, but its not. Its about as involved as a JZ swap. Or a 302, or an LS.

I originally rebuilt my first G54B for around $400
$200 on machine work, $80 on gaskets, $100 or so on misc parts. Its really cheap. I didnt replace my head, valves, or springs. Just had it honed. A new head with everything is around $300.
I honestly spent just as much on beer putting the engine back together with my friend than i did on machine work for it.

Folks sell blocks, and parts for it on the cheap. I picked up a short block with a trans for $200.
Buy new bearings, make sure everything is to spec, and you can probably rebuild it for under $600.
>>
File: IMG_2739.jpg (656 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2739.jpg
656 KB, 1024x683
>>14751960
A 4G swap is sooo much fucking work, it is not worth it.

$500, and an LS swap.
>>
>>14751061
all trac?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.