[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do /o/ think about autonomous cars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12
>>
Great for traffic safety once the systems are properly initiated and polished

Dangerous for our auto-interest
>>
>>14749910
The death to enjoying driving
>>
>>14749910
Liberals are going to make it the law
>>
>>14749910

It's a moral imperative.
>>
>>14749926
>American liberal are actually commies
Lmao nice politics
>>
>>14749943
u go back
>>
>>14749926
Please explain yourself...
>>
everyone on here keeps freaking out that manual driving of cars will be banned within 20 years or something

let me put it this way, KIT CARS are still legal. Being able to make and tag your own zero-safety death machine is completely legal and just requires some forms. Once there's any kind of serious legislation around banning kit cars, then they'll have to ban motorcycles and that'll be even harder.

will manual driving eventually be banned? probably. will it be in your lifetime? probably not
>>
>>14750182
self driving cars are going to be statistically much safer than driving yourself so in the name of safety liberals will outlaw driving cars on your own
>>
>drive to where you're going
>send your car to your parking/charge supplier
>use your phone to tell your car to come pick you up

There are definitely perks.
>>
>>14750339
it goes way beyond that, though

>dumb texting teens no longer a risk to your car
>drunk drivers no longer a risk
>dumb asian soccer moms no longer a risk
>your car can park itself and pick you up
>your car can handle the morning or afternoon commute while you sleep/shitpost on /o//fap
>your car can drive through the night on a long roadtrip and you drive during the day
>you can be more picky about parking areas, why park in a bad part of town if you can just have your car park somewhere safer?
etc etc
>>
>>14750353
oh and almost forgot
>you always have a designated driver
>>
>>14750182
They'll claim humans are too unpredictable to operate vehicles and ban all human drivers for safety reasons
>>
>>14749914
FPBP
>>
>>14750353
You can choose a destination seven hours away, go to sleep, and you'll be there when you wake up

/o/ will be dead though

Once cars are self driving, there won't really be much discussion to be had
>>
>>14750376
it'll be a self driving button you press though. self-drive the boring bits then manual drive the fun bits
>>
>30 odd thousands deaths caused by accidents
>90,000 deaths cause by alcohol
>480,000 deaths caused by smoking
>300,000 deaths caused by donuts
OMG BAN THESE KILLING MACHINES!!!!!!!
>>
Looks odd in my opinion
>>
Like to see a self driving car reverse a trailer 1/2 a mile up a single track b road into a gateway in order to let a group of grain hauling tractors pass by.
>>
>>14749910

Would be nice to live in a world where all the idiots no longer have the responsibility of endangering everyone's life.
>>
>>14750219
>will manual driving eventually be banned? probably. will it be in your lifetime? probably not

The future sounds awful desu. I used to get sad that I'd never get to see how things turned out in a couple of hundred years but the trend towards humans packed into tiny spaces and allowed to do nothing but PC activities makes me glad I'll be dead in 50 or 60 years.
>>
>don't have to worry about retards endangering your life any more

Sounds good to me.
>>
My gf gets super horned up after a night out drinking and is usually out by the time we get home. Now I'll get to fuck her during those critical 15 minutes.
>>
>>14750369
... you'll have to excuse me, I'm a professional scadinavian.

Can I have that in english?
>>
File: Haka.jpg (10 KB, 133x196) Image search: [Google]
Haka.jpg
10 KB, 133x196
>>14750391
Not the person you're talking to. But I could see retrofitting it to an old car. Especially if I could keep the system isolated from the internet. No 4g, no gps. I'd rather not have a hacker get into the system and murder me. I would also prefer to purchase my own driving system and set the parameters accordingly. Behavior and so on. Teach it to mimic my driving preferences or style.
>>14750397
The death toll complaint is legit. Cars kill more people than guns do. If that's the case, then campaigning for the end of manual driving has it's own moral force.
Where such a thing is misguided is that manual driving should not be ended. There should be more training for driving (and even now, there should be.) in place to reduce car accidents and deaths.

Insurance companies should also not be allowed to charge less for automatic driving cars. If they are allowed to chage less for auto drive, then the base line of insurance becomes auto driving cars. Even if the price of insurance for manual driven cars never increases, that gap between them will always be an obstacle for future people who want to get into cars. We should probably nip this in the bud, politically speaking.
>>
>>14750447
What the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
File: Scoty.gif (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Scoty.gif
2 MB, 800x450
>>14750397
You can't really kill that many people by eating donuts, or by second-hand smoking

Alcohol however does take a lot of lives who arent responsible, either through violence or... *ding ding* automobile accidents.

Another point to consider is that all of those three are something people enjoy doing for their own pleasure... for most people driving is absolutely nothing but a chore, and the more automated it becomes the happier they will be
>>
>>14750428
meh, get some solar panels, battery backup, and a water line and live innawoods on the cheap dude
>>
I've decided to buy a farm and keep a few miatas under hay for my nephews
>>
>>14750447
old car retrofitting would be excellent because
>buy a supremely comfy classic 70s land barge
>sit in the back seat and be driven around in top comfort
i look forward to the first lexus LS' with full autonomy depreciating down into the 30k range. top tier DD
>>
>>14750428
It's probably gonna be a lot of virtual reality escapism
>>
>>14750444
And what will you do with the extra 14 minutes?
>>
>>14750455
Second hand smoke kills 40,000 people a year in the us. Alcohol deaths is deaths cuased by alcohol, not deaths in accidents caused by drunk drivers. And donuts = obesity.
>>
>>14750469
>you can experience what is was like to like in a house with a garden and drive a car to work, but in VR!
>a forced ad about the diversity of an all female cereal company at every junction
>sponsored by googleâ„¢

Fuck that.
>>
>>14750483
isn't second hand smoke still not proven by any actual studies?
>>
File: Dale.png (231 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Dale.png
231 KB, 500x375
>>14750454
You didn't really reply to my post, making conversation difficult. Which part is "wrong"?

>>14750465
That's what I'm thinking. Definitely not for a Mazda RX-7, but a 79 Lincoln Continental would be perfect. If I retrofit any sports car, it would be with a high performance electric engine.

>>14750497
That's what big tobacco says. It's impossible to actually do a true double blind, randomized control trial study on this, without violating human ethics and literally being a nazi. We know second hand smoke kills people. We know smoking kills people. We have some generally good numbers that show approximately how many.
Consigning two groups of people to inhale tobacco smoke and not-tobacco-smoke is an experiment that reads like it comes from a concentration camp.
>>
>>14750483
40 000, really? Shieeet

As for the other two; then they are self-caused...
I don't like any of it, but I still don't see any reason not to introduce self-driving cars... and yes, I do realise that people-operated vehicles will most likely be outlawed or very heavily restricted in the future, effectively killing the entirey of what this board is based on, but I also unfortunately don't think us shouting "MUH HOBBY" will be able to get noticed when put up against the majorty populace crying "MUH SAFETY AND MUH KIDS"
>>
>>14749943
subversion is real and actively destroying our once great country. you will laugh and think this is incorrect until 90% of your income goes towards feeding the 5 unemployed black families you must sponsor under government mandate.
>>
>>14750515
They're pushing automated driving to numb down the proletariat.
>>
oh yeah, the perfect example of "we probably wont see manual driving banned for a long time"
you can still legally smoke
>>
>>14750531
But it will make it so that the proletariat increases in size... oh shit, its just a plot to make a bigger sea of cheap workers
>>
File: faggot.jpg (36 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
36 KB, 512x384
>>14750534
To be fair, the idea of prohibition of drugs and alcohol is one of the biggest failures of human history. Not for how many lives lost, or tragedies or what not. But for how it completely failed.
Prohibition of alcohol gave us mixed drinks, NASCAR, and organized gangs
Prohibition of marijuana and other drugs gave those gangs more financial opportunities, cultural institutions spawned from black American culture to reflect the involvement of gangs, and even more, and more dangerous drugs than if they were legal.
Prohibition of tobacco, or the extreme expense of taxes, only gave rise to the natives selling cheap, worse cigarettes, vaping, more people switching to marijuana, and quitting smoking.
An outright prohibition of it would simply increase the revenues of gangs.

Prohibiting manual driving cars is a little different from prohibiting smoking. It's relatively easy to track who has a car that can drive on it's own, and whether that car is on a public road.
>>14750530
>the 5 tax dodging international corporations you must sponsor under government mandate
fixed.
>>
>>14750588
>Prohibiting manual driving cars is a little different from prohibiting smoking. It's relatively easy to track who has a car that can drive on it's own, and whether that car is on a public road.

Not if the entire system is geared towards automated cars.

>need to make an automated car stop for the police
>some law passed allows the authorities to override it and make it wait, doors locked, until the matter is resolved
>as a result there is little need to expend great deal on traditional police cruisers as 100% of legal vehicles remaining on public roads are automated
>the few manual police cars that remain police the densely populated urban environments and highways
>inefficient backroads in rural areas where no one lives any more are little more than overgrown tracks now
>people build illegal junk yard versions of the ariel nomad out of the remains of old cars, running on bootleg biofuels to get around while avoiding the occasional surveillance drone
>such is life in the 22nd century
>>
>>14750445
First post, best post
>>
>>14750651
would watch/10
Now just add in some races, and maybe some gunfights.

Not heard as good a plot since that vampire fueled race one. still want it to be real.
>>
>>14749910
i get to get as hammered at a bar as i can and then pass out at home. sounds pretty good to me.
ideally i could have a car i can drive normally but has an auto drive feature for above scenarios.
>>
>>14749910
I can see them adding one lane to highways or 2 to major ones that are autodrives only. Severly clean up the daytime traffic and clean the road off for people too poor for them or dont trust that skynet shit.
>>
>>14750534
except places in ny raising the smoking age to 21.
and employers sacking people if they smoke.
and you cant smoke in public places.
or around your kids.
or on most college campuses
or on public land.
or at town parks.
ect ect ect.
nothing ever gets flat out banned (successfully). what will happen is you will need a special license for a manual car and then it will be limited to off road or track use only. just like motorcycles and cars that don't meet emission standards. then there will be pressure to increase taxes and insurance premiums on anyone who does not own an automatic car. it wont be banned just like owning a mini gun isn't actually illegal (in some states at least) but the paperwork and taxes make it just not worth it.
I'm not bitching that's just how i see it.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (24 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
24 KB, 1280x720
>>14750473
>>
>>14750742
>I'm not bitching

You should be you fucking pussy. "Progress" does not belong to the one group of people who call themselves progressive and want to ban everything.
>>
>>14750759
sure and i agree however complaining on 4chan doesn't actually accomplish anything. if I'm going to bitch I'm going to bitch via a lobbyist
>>
>>14750660
>the year is 2186 and man operated machines have been outlawed
*Kavinsky starts playing softly*
>outlawed
*screen flashes*
>but some
*musics gets louder*
>still
*louder*
>drive
*screen flashes*
>to keep the spirit of humankind alive
*engines roars to life*
>>
>>14750780
Someone needs to write/film this. Like a crossover between mad max, demolition man, bullitt, drive and every futuristic 80s action film involving schwarzenegger.

My dick would be diamonds.
>>
>>14750831
If I win the lotto I'll get people working on it.
>>
>>14750358
This is the best thing about self driving cars
>>
>>14749910
best driving feel
>>
>>14750989
>rates of alchoholism go way up because one of the big safety risks with being a raging drunk goes away
>>
File: motorcity - what i got.jpg (79 KB, 800x319) Image search: [Google]
motorcity - what i got.jpg
79 KB, 800x319
>>14750780
>>14750831
go watch motorcity, it's pretty close thematically to what you're describing
>>
>>14750376
>there won't really be much discussion to be had
Just imagine all the shitposting about quickly re-programming GPS coordinates and hacking the speed control for the best touge times. The talk about the best roads to program your car to drive on, etc.
>>
>>14749910
They're the inevitable future - it's not a matter of 'if' but merely 'when' - there's just no way around it. And even though I enjoy driving my car, the pros of autonomous cars outweigh the cons by a huge margin so I mostly welcome the change. Also, manual road cars won't go away within my lifetime and they'll always be around in one way or the other, so it's really not that bad from an enthusiasts POV. Future generations won't even know or care that they're missing something, just as most of us don't remember the times of horse-drawn carriages and writing physical letters.
>>
File: 1454901928067.jpg (19 KB, 480x471) Image search: [Google]
1454901928067.jpg
19 KB, 480x471
>>14751072
Most new cars are leased. By the time this dystopian shitfest comes about you won't own a car to modify in anyway, it'll be an uber taxi with no paki driver and advertisements screens instead of windows.
>>
>>14751092
>advertisements screens instead of windows.
Vote fucking Sanders in and this won't fucking happen.
>>
>>14751081
The death of private transit isn't really the same as email vs letters.

Whatever, fuck you all, you asked for your democratic totalitarianism.
>>
File: 1314368729594.jpg (325 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1314368729594.jpg
325 KB, 700x525
>>14751092
>Most new cars are leased
>being this American
>>
>>14751100
No because there just won't be cars of any kind. It'll be like the Soviet Union only instead of going on a 20 year waiting list for a Trabant they'll just not have the Trabant.
>>
>>14751106
I'm in the UK. Most new cars are on finance or leased.

>Separate data from The Finance & Leasing Association suggested that the majority of new cars were bought by people using credit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30706580
>>
>>14751101
>The death of private transit isn't really the same as email vs letters.
Okay, first of all, why didn't you go for the much better horses VS. cars analogy and second of all, who says autonomous car will be 'the death of private transit' - that's not just a little overly dramatic. People will still want to own status symbols and personal transportation to go wherever the fuck they want to. By themselves. And that won't go away any time soon.
>>
File: Bad Guy.jpg (31 KB, 704x304) Image search: [Google]
Bad Guy.jpg
31 KB, 704x304
>>14751108
America factually cannot restructure itself to not have cars. Rural America is so large, and has so many people, that personal transportation on the national level will always be a necessity. Sanders specifically wants to update the highway system, which was originally put in place by who?
One of America's most liberal presidents.
Sometimes I'm astounded as to how stupid someone on 4chan can be.
>>
>>14751126
>finance or leased.
Well, that's not exactly the same now, is it? If you finance a car, *you* own it - if you lease the car, *some company* does. I've financed a car and two motorcycles and my bank didn't even ask what the money was for.
>>
>>14751160
>Sometimes I'm astounded as to how stupid someone on 4chan can be.
From that? You ain't seen nothin' yet, pal...
>>
>>14751163
If you finance a car technically the finance company owns it until you pay in full. Same as the bank owns your house if you have a mortgage.
>>
>>14751171
The finance company doesn't even know the car exists - I own them *money*, but they have no authority over the car.
>>
>>14751204
Bailiffs will say otherwise if you start missing payments.
>>
>>14751212
Even if I hadn't insurance for the unlikely case that I lose my job, that's not the point. The important part is that I could sell the car whenever I want to buy whatever I please. That wouldn't be possible if I wasn't the official owner.
>>
>>14751204
And when someone suddenly defaults because they can't pay them back in "the money" they repo possessions totaling the estimated worth.

>like your car first, in most cases
>>
>>14751163

You asked for a loan, and on that loan you have had to give them a finality for what the money was for. Thats how loans work. And if you broke the agreement by funding some other shit, they could have perfectly revoked whatever business they were doing with you.

By having said that, we are made aware you have never financed anything other than the couple bucks your mom gives you for the bus fare.
>>
>>14751204
Then what did you use as collateral. because they own THAT then.
>>
>>14751274
>>on that loan you have had to give them a finality for what the money was for
No. As a matter of fact, I went to to my banks internet site, played with some sliders, and got the papers in the mail a few days later, no questions ask. I guess you're just not as credit worthy as I am.
>>
>>14750588
>the 5 tax dodging international corporations you must sponsor under government mandate
those too
which is why we need protectionism and closed borders
>>
>>14751300
The bank would still come for your most expensive assets first, starting with the car.
>>
>>14751300

You're lying cause it doesn't work like that.
>>
>>14751295
Well, they're my bank - they know how much money I make because they can see the incoming transfers from my employer. I guess that's good enough for them.
>>
>>14751318
Uh, yes it does? I mean, not for you, obviously - but that's not saying much.
>>
>>14751300
Sounds like a "signature loan". You bought cheap used vehicles. Nothing wrong with cheap used vehicles, but you ain't getting any significant amount without collateral. regardless of your credit rating. Interest is usually pretty high on a signature loan too. It's like a credit card loan.
>>
File: check your privelege.jpg (310 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
check your privelege.jpg
310 KB, 2048x1360
>>14751169
I've been here for six years now. I've seen some shit. But it keeps happening. I keep building my faith in humanity and this community and enjoying myself. Then someone says something completely fucking stupid, and I have to slap them around with facts.
>>14751307
Just close the tax evasion loopholes the rich use to steal your nation's money. Closed borders or protectionist policies are pretty bad for the American economy. We have a slow increase in people buying high quality American made consumer goods from small businesses. Clothing, hygiene products and more. Trying to protect American large corporations in this age will not be a good policy going forward. Huge tariffs or closing borders will only stagnate the economy. The nationalist-socialist experiment failed. Globalist policies are much better economically speaking.
>>
>>14751327

I WANT TO EAT YOUR FACE AND WEAR YOU LIKE A CONDOM
>>
>>14751343
>Just close the tax evasion loopholes the rich use to steal your nation's money
They aren't "loopholes" and it's not the nation's money. It's the corporations money. They have decided to keep more of it.
>>
>>14751343
>Then someone says something completely fucking stupid, and I have to slap them around with facts.
>Just close the tax evasion loopholes the rich use to steal your nation's money.

Right on.
>>
>>14751330
It was 20k Euros for the car and 18k for the motorcycle - well, the second one, the first one was indeed kinda cheap but 4k nonetheless. I don't remember the exact numbers on interest, but it wasn't too bad.
>>
>>14751376
Explain to me why my money, or yours, belongs to the nation and not us.
>>
>>14751392

Now I know this shithead is lying.

No Eurozone back would lend you amounts like that without collateral (personal or patrimonial) and without knowing what for.

NO SINGLE REPUTABLE BANK

Unless you went for those shady credit institutions that charge like 20% interest.

You're a liar sob.

Having said that, I'd like to cut your balls and boil them and eat them.
>>
>>14751405
It was sarcasm.
>>
>>14751343
tax loopholes are a problem, but the bigger problem is the insanely high corporate tax rate in the US which is driving them out to tax havens like Ireland and Mexico and there are zero monetary restrictions on shipping products back here
we need lower corporate taxes and higher international barriers, such as a universal tariff
we also need more jobs to be taken by tax-paying Americans instead of H1Bs that just send the money right out of the country
the current system looks almost like it's designed to completely fuck us over
>>
>>14751407
>I'd like to cut your balls and boil them and eat them.
GTFO normalfag
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14751407
This is going nowhere and I need to go to bed. I don't care whether you believe me or not - here's a picture of my motorcyle.
>>
>>14751360
So then you should decide, on the national level, that they should not be allowed to sell products in your nation, until they contribute to the nation's community chest.
As of now, they're tax evading niggers, slinging poison in ghettos.
>>14751412
The corporate tax rate is lower than it was in the 60s-80s, when GM started pulling jobs to move to factories in developing countries. The tax rate didn't move jobs out of the country. The taxes didn't move the administration to tax havens.
These people decided to exploit other people from less developed countries for pennies, with no regard for safety laws, environmental concerns, or quality control. These people decided to dodge taxes in one of the most valuable consumer markets, while somehow thinking they should benefit from that market.
Fuck those people.
>>
>>14751465
yes, and so legislation needs to adapt to reflect that
hence why protectionism and visa reduction is important to bring jobs back to American citizens
>>
>>14750473
BTFO
>>
>>14751465
They're paying sales tax, property tax, etc. Also their products collect sales tax. Their employees also pay sales, property, and income tax.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.