[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I changed my oil myself today like you guys told me to. Everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: nrf.png (75 KB, 197x188) Image search: [Google]
nrf.png
75 KB, 197x188
I changed my oil myself today like you guys told me to.

Everything seemed to go fine. However, when I started the car again after I was done, I heard this loud clanking/knocking sound from the engine for a few seconds.

is that normal or did I fuck up?
>>
>>14748187
Probably your timing chain slapping around before the oil pressure built up.
>>
>>14748187
>Listening to /o/ for maintenance advice
Why are you so stupid
>>
There's 3 steps man its easier than doing crack
>>
>>14748189

how fucked am I?
>>
That is not normal, no.

"Like you guys told me to" leads me believe you may not have done everything right. Did you:

>unscrew the bolt on the oil pan, let oil drain
>clean and screw on bolt again
>open up oil cap on top of engine
>fill with the manufacturer specified oil type and amount

If you did everything correctly there might just be a coincidental problem with your engine.
>>
Thats normal unless it lasted more than 15 seconds or so, the oil hasn't circulated through the engine yet so it rattles a little bit
>>
>>14748198

I did all of that and changed the filter.
>>
>>14748205

You're probably fine. Stop being a faggot and read the manual or whatever next time.
>>
>>14748205
After the knocking stopped, did you let it idle for a few minutes to let the oil work its way through the engine? Then when/if you turned it on again, did the knocking continue?
>>
>>14748210

Yes.

No, it did it for 5 seconds and then stopped. Did not hear it the next time I started the car.
>>
>>14748217
Odds are you're being overly paranoid. If you're still worried look up and see if that's a common occurence when changing the oil on whatever type of car you have.

If you don't notice any problems with it in the future, it looks like it's nothing. The next time you change your oil see if it happens again, I suppose.
>>
>>14748197
You're fine.
>>
>>14748217

Did you fill the oil filter before you put it on
>>
How often do you guys change oil filters?
>>
>>14748246
Usually every time I change the oil or if I'm lazy every other time.
>>14748245
This doesn't really matter desu, most engines the oil filter is sideways so you can't even do this anyways.
>>
>>14748251

I prefer not having a moment without oil pressure, but if you feel that you enjoy no oil for the moment the car fills the filter then have at it.
>>
>>14748257
A car can run for a surprisingly long time without oil before siezing. A few seconds every time you change the oil will make no difference.
>>
>>14748269

Sure it can, but why increase the wear when you can just prefill your filter
>>
>>14748277
Like the previous anon said not every car has a vertical filter. If the engine is designed that way what can you do? Some audi models have a filter that screws on upside down on top of the engine, no possibility of pre-filling it.
>>
>>14748246
Every time I change the oil.
>>
Oil pump just had to fill up the filter first before you could get pressure.

It was at a low RPM and your engine components would still have a thin film of residual oil.

You're fine OP.
>>
>>14748246
every time i change the oil. who doesnt?
>>
File: NOScompleteKit.jpg (166 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
NOScompleteKit.jpg
166 KB, 640x480
>>14748246
Every time I buy a new pack of toilet roll
>>
>>14748245

WHAT?

No. I just lubed the rim with oil before I attached it.
>>
File: 3oEduMLGc5PoJ7gcNy.gif (799 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
3oEduMLGc5PoJ7gcNy.gif
799 KB, 750x500
>>14748316
A lot of people, that's why the manual gives 2 oil capacities, for fur with and one fur without filter change.
>>
>>14748382
one fur with*
:3 almost bed time
>>
>>14748381
You did it correctly.
>>
>>14748198
i may be wrong but would it drain faster if the top cap is removed as well as teh bottom one so that the air can come from the top and allow faster flow? or is it not like i think it is?
>>
>>14749084
I don't think so. Your oil already drains as a stream and doesn't glug out like if you tipped a 2 liter bottle upside down.
>>
>>14749141

It will drain faster with the cap off.
>>
>>14748205
Did you prelube the reciprocator?
>>
>>14748246
Every time I fill up my car. I mean why would I neglect my car?
>>
>>14749659

no but I'll prelube you
>>
>>14748187

If you...

>Use the specified oil type
>Use the correct quantity
>New filter
>Remembered to put the pan plug back on

Then you should be fine.
>>
>>14748251
>Usually every time I change the oil or if I'm lazy every other time.
Dude come on. If anything you should be changing the filter more often than you change your oil. Synthetics don't break down over time, they get full of crap which is why you change them. Your filter mitigates this.
>>
have you checked your dipstick after filling?
have you allowed the car to start, or did you kill immediately?
how does it run otherwise?
>>
your lifters probably drained. slowly rev it from idle to 3k in neutral over the course of 15 secs then wait 15 secs. do this 10 times or till it stops clanking

if you put wrong oil, then drain it and add the right one and new filter
>>
File: 1429213333940.jpg (84 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1429213333940.jpg
84 KB, 550x550
>>14748194
Mmmm. Glorious crack.
>>
>>14749960
Ooohh, I would like that desu
>>
>>14750997
>
lifters dont drain - ignore this idiot
>>
>>14748187
I'm gonna guess your car is a Ford, because a lot of their engines do that after an oil change

its normal, you're fine
>>
>>14748187

That was the oil pocked in the engine needing to refill. Nothing abnormal. Just crank it and proceed to rev it til it goes bam bam bam bam bam for around 30 seconds. It'll refill the oil pocket and it'll be good.
>>
>>14748194

There's actually 5 steps, genius
>>
Happens on some cars even if you prime the oil filter. Non issue
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.