[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have 4 tires, 2 tires have Great tread 2 tires have Okay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: TireTreadIndicatorBars.jpg (61 KB, 500x175) Image search: [Google]
TireTreadIndicatorBars.jpg
61 KB, 500x175
You have 4 tires, 2 tires have Great tread 2 tires have Okay tread. Regardless of drivetrain, do you put the better tires in the front or the back?

Remember, there's only one correct answer.
>>
>>14740681

Better on back always.
>>
Front because they'll wear faster than the back and even out your tire tread.
>>
>>14740681
better tread goes on front for fwd, because steering, acceleration, and braking rely on the front axle
>>
This is probably bait but the best tires always go on the front. Steering is more important than getting power down.
>>
>>14740711
This, also braking.
>>
I'd probably put the ones with more tread on whatever axle will wear faster. Got to rotate yourself back to greatness!
>>
>>14740700
>>14740707
>>14740711
>>
File: tires.png (169 KB, 628x727) Image search: [Google]
tires.png
169 KB, 628x727
>>14740700
>>14740707
>>14740711
couldn't be more wrong
>>
Always rear.
Crumble zones and handling you know.

Getting T-boned is way dangerous than head on at the same speed.
>>
I never know who's trolling in these threads...

Has anybody ever tried putting the better tires in the back? Understeer city awaits you. It feels like shit.

There's a reason why semi trucks have to have brand new tires on the front and the drive and trailer tires can be re-treads.

If you have a blowout from a shitty worn tire, your going to want it to blow on the rear. Loosing a steer tire is no fun.

Try putting winter tires on the front then just the back and see what happens... It should be pretty fucking easy to tell which tires should go where.
>>
>>14740793
What the fuck?

CITATION NEEDED
>>
>>14741231
Industry standard is new tires on rear for the same reason most consumer cars are set up to understeer, head-on is the preferred way to crash.
Also, understeer can be corrected by releasing the throttle, which is the natural reaction when you begin to slide. Releasing the throttle during oversteer while make you spin out.

Yeah, sure, you're a professional race driver and can handle your own vehicle perfectly at it's limits, but you're in the minority.

And you should never be driving with tread so low that you risk a blowout. That's going full retard.
>>
>>14740793
Couldn't be more fake
>>
better tires on the front
oversteer is better than understeer.

most places recommend the other way because it's technically safer, but it's still easier to control a FWD car sliding sideways than it is to correct terminal understeer brought on by hydroplaning because you don't have enough tread depth on your turning wheels.
>>
>>14740681

If this thread doesn't prove that /o/ can't into cars I don't know what does.

Good game OP. You outed all these dumb bus riding faggots.
>>
I have an E36 with better tires in the rear and it understeers when driving like a retard but there's no problems whatsoever when I drive like a civilised human being. I also asked my mechanic about it and he said that's the way it should be.
>>
Best tires on the rear regardless of drive train. That's what the tire manufacturers, tire resellers, insurance companies and car manufacturers all say, and who you gonna believe... the pros, or the bus riders on /o/?
>>
>>14740793
Oh. So your front tired can have catastrophic failure and kill you!
Yes, that's right. Risking your life is worth it!
God damn you! Are you a muslim?
>>
>>14740793
All the weight is transferred to the front of your car when you brake
So that's wrong
>>
File: k9trXZGs.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
k9trXZGs.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
>>14741464
>head-on is the preferred way to crash.
>>
File: hill.jpg (43 KB, 556x561) Image search: [Google]
hill.jpg
43 KB, 556x561
>>14740681
>Regardless of drivetrain
>>
Oh fuck y'all are ignorant.

Back wheels always.

Imagine for a moment what might happen with tons of front grip and very little rear grip in the rain in either drive train. It would be like FWD with the trays under the rears.
>>
Obviously, rightest tire in ops pic is the best tire.
That is because it has the most contact with the road, thus the most grip.
The leftest tire has a good bunch of contact missing and is dangerous.
Right tire to the front for good contact and driving stability and the left tires go back because theyre not imprtant
>>
>>14740681
Front, for steeringg.
>>
>>14740681

gud tyrs go to far way side and bad go to side of mu bad hand cuz mu NASCAR
>>
I got fucking triggered. I drive a Prius and even know, new on the rear. Tire guy told me and I didn't believe it, had always heard new on the drives, but did a ton of research and it checks out.
>>
New up front, id rather correct oversteer than understeer.
>>
File: power_drift.jpg (84 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
power_drift.jpg
84 KB, 1000x670
Never let my tires get that worn OP so I don't really know. Back when I ran all seasons, I would put winters on the drive wheels to get through Alberta snow and leave the all seasons on the front, (or back if FWD).

Now that I run summer sports I have to switch to 4 winters, and my tires get rotated twice a year, they wear pretty damn even.
>>
Always on the rear. When the fronts wear down, you can put new ones on the rear and move the rears to the front.

If you put worn tires on the rear and new on the front, you are more likely to oversteer in the wet, as the rear will have less wet traction.
>>
tires with the best thread go on the driver side, front and back. the weight of your 250 lbs body helps keep the tires well planted at any speed and any condition.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 450x448
I have this from a similar thread in the past.
>>
>>14741464

>And you should never be driving with tread so low that you risk a blowout. That's going full retard.

What if my tires are showing chord and I load up my vehicle to double it's rated capacity on a regular basis?
>>
>>14740681
Back, always.
>>
>>14740681
you can't do this regardless of drive train.

that'd be like showing someone a picture of two questionable looking "women" and ask which one they'd fuck regardless of gender...
>>
>>14743017
>it has the most contact with the road, thus the most grip

Bad troll is bad.
>>
>>14740793
this is faker then my gf's tits, and i paid for them.
>>
>>14740681
http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/car-tyres.html

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

Only a retard would say anything other than rear regardless of drive train.

Oh look retards:
>>14740700
>>14740707
>>14740711
>>14740720
>>14740725
>>14741231
>>14741561
>>14741584
>>14742741
>>14742744
>>14742757
>>14743017
>>14743055
>>14743145
>>14743179
>>14743195
>>14743214
>>
why are you morons arguing this? there's advanced takes to both, Rear gives better grip in low traction situations, ie winter heavy rain and prevents the tail from stepping out
Front gives best handling, braking but obviously more prone to spinning out.
Most shops put new on the front in summer, opposite in winter
other factors include 4 wheel drive type of differential, drive train etc.

>or you just rotate your tires to have even wear
>>
>>14740681
You put the good tires on whatever drive wheels and burn them down to match the others.
>>
>>14743721
>Most shops put new on the front in summer, opposite in winter
Nope.
>>
>>14740681

Good tires go on the front, for accurate steering and braking.
Shit tires go on the back. On a FWD, the rear axle just keeps the back of the car from dragging on the ground. On RWD, hectic skids.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.