[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nice, Clean, Fun Second car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
Sup /o/

May sell my 300CE as my second car. I'm looking for something to replace it with. As much as I hate to do it I'm tossing about ideas in my head.

What does /o/ suggest that fits these criteria:
-Loose budget of $15K
-Powerful
-Fast in a straight line, and around corners
-Absolute blast to drive
-Preferably made in the 80's to early 00's
-///Easy/// to find parts for online or wherever. Does not necessarily have to be ///cheap/// to buy said parts
-Preferably German but all are welcome
-Must seat at least two people
-Good looking, desirable, ///interesting/// something I could take to meets/shows and talk about.
-RWD or AWD.
-Preferably manual but NOT critical

Things I've deeply considered:
-Mercedes 500SL or 600SL R129
-Mercedes 500SL or 560SL R107
-Mercedes 560SEC C126
-Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline W201
-Mercedes 320TE S124
-Mercedes SLK (?) R170
-Mercedes CLK (?) C208
-BMW Z3M
-BMW E46 M3
-BMW M5 E39
-BMW 540i E39 MSport
-Audi TT 8N
-Toyota MR2 (any)
-Nissan 300ZX turbo (Z31 or Z32)
-Mazda Miata NA
-Ford Mustang 5.0 Foxbody fastback
-Porsche Boxster
-BMW E30
-Mitsubishi 3000GT (which one is gud?)
-Volvo V70R

What else is there?
>>
>>14739280
pack your shit and go back to ///reddit///
>>
>>14739280
C4 Corvette, you can get a mint early 90s one for that budget.
>>
if it was me picking from your list i would cross out mercedes. i love mercedes but hate they dont have manuals in their performance models. i know it this day and age its irrelevant but not 10 years ago. BMW i also like as a brand. ive driven an e46M3 and its a great gentlemans car for a daily driver i suppose but i found it a little lack luster. maybe try the Z3M. i dont know how Audi makes the greatest race car at lemans but i have fuck all interest in any of their consumer products. love the MR2 idea. Z32s look incredible when done well. i will always love miatas. indifferent on the mustang. I would love to drive a boxster though if i was buying i would rather have the gayman. E30 ive driven as well and was rather bored. i dont know why anyone calls them a 4 door miata i thought it was rather soul less. 3000gt i think is nowhere near as cool as the 300zx. and volvo idk im a wagon man but not really a fwd man.
>>
miata
>>
how open are you to mods?
an NB miata with a turbo and lots of other mods will be amazing in that budget

a 15k e39 m5 will be decent but you'll have to put some work in

a 540i msport can be made pretty m5-like within that budget, probably wont be able to get a supercharger though
>>
>>14739280
>>14739452
>>14739280
>>14739452
You might as well get a 1996 Corvette, they made the Manual ones with the LT4 that year. I just bought one for 7500, but I got an insane deal. If you're patient you won't spend more than ten grand on it
>>
>>14739280
S2000 is another option
>>
File: 1442080251313.jpg (99 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
1442080251313.jpg
99 KB, 800x527
FD meets all the criteria.
>>
File: 1449902355864.jpg (232 KB, 1500x616) Image search: [Google]
1449902355864.jpg
232 KB, 1500x616
>>14739452
Not to say I haven't considered it. Apparently for not too much more you can get a full on ZR1.

I like Corvettes and everything they stand for but really the car just doesn't do anything for me. They're good looking cars but they're so common and don't know if I'd want to drop that much on a C4, even a ZR1.
>>14739501
>i would cross out mercedes
I have absolutely no opposition to any of the Mercedes I listed being automatic. Most of those, with the exception of the CLK and SLK have pretty proven and hardy gearboxes. No they're not perfect but they're pretty good for an automatic of the time.
>maybe try the Z3M
I've never had a truly fast car so the E46 conundrum might be interesting. The Z3M is probably better bang for the buck, especially since I don't need the rear seats or any trunk space that the E46 gives you. And since it looks like it has the same powerful I6 as the E46 it probably moves pretty fucking good in a small car like that.
>fuck all interest in any of their [Audi] consumer products
Eh. Yeah. If Audis were more commonly chain driven engines I'd be more into them from a daily driver perspective but the TT is the only one that really appeals to me. I'd prefer a VR6 model though which are, of course, impossible to find. I like Audi but I prefer the older ones, which are, again, retarded hard to find.
>though if i was buying i would rather have the gayman
Yeah so would I but I don't think I could get one for my price range. I think I'd only be able to afford a first-gen Boxster which I do not think they had the Cayman at that time.
>E30 ive driven as well and was rather bored
My dad and I test drove a 318 but it was beat to shit...My E30 light hasn't been extinguished but to be honest, it's too practical for a second car. Why do I need those back seats?
>and volvo idk im a wagon man but not really a fwd man
V70R is AWD otherwise I wouldn't be looking at it. It's a refreshing alternative to Subaru.
>>
File: 1415554474007.jpg (283 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1415554474007.jpg
283 KB, 1600x1200
>>14739607
>how open are you to mods?
Relatively. Problem is I don't have a ton of space to have things taken apart right now. Basic maintenance is all I can really do. Though since it's a second car I could take my time on projects instead of having to get the thing back together by Monday for work.
>NB miata
Not interested in anything that is not an NA. And at that point I'd probably drop an NA V8 into it, probably a Ford crate 5.0, do the necessary drivetrain mods, and be done with it.
>a 15k e39 m5 will be decent
I'm not super dead set on the M5. I just think they're gorgeous. And I could spend probably up to 20 if I really wanted it. Again with the whole "useless utility" thing. I don't need all those doors and seats lol
>>14739735
If I was going to go the GM route I'd probably just try to find an '88 Fiero instead...Which at that point I'm better off with a turbo MR2.
I don't know, the heart wrenching appeal of the Corvette is lost on me. I love them, they're cool but I don't think I'd drop that kind of money on one..It's really weird to explain how I feel about them.
>>14739841
Yeah..I'm not a big Honda guy, and for the price you're getting a mediocre interior and workaday looks that most people wouldn't be able to tell apart from anything else on the road. I never really understood the appeal of the S2000 over something like a Z3M. I'm sure it's fast and a great car but I just don't see the appeal over something else.
>>14739841
Overheating and apex seals meme
I'd rather get a really nice FB and lightly modify it maybe, my dad used to have one. I much prefer the looks of those over any other RX.
>>
>>14740376
oh yeah, i totally forgot about the z3m, that's a good option too.
a later model 01/02 will be your target for that sweet sweet s54. not to mention the supercharging potential down the road
>>
>>14740414
Yeah, it's one of the higher ones on my list. It'd probably be the perfect car for what I need but there's just something about those R129 SLs that does something for me...

So 02 is really what I'm looking for then? I bet they have a premium over the other years. Though, I thought they all had the same 3.2 I6.
>>
What could you do with an S60R for 15k?
What about a 330i?
I really like the gearstick on S60Rs
>>
>>14739436
You're just jealous that he can afford a $15K car instead of driving his mom's Maxima, aren't you?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (243 KB, 1500x1002) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
243 KB, 1500x1002
Not sure if they're legal for you guys in Murica to own but a JZX100 would fit every aspect you're looking for
>>
>>14742207
switched from the pretty lackluster american market s52 to the amazing s54 right around 2000.
s52 is technically more reliable but you leave a ton of stock power and power potential on the table if you stay 2000 or older
>>
>>14740376
> S2000
> mediocre looks and interior
wut
It's a very different kind of car from a Z3M, which is much more of a grand tourer kind of machine. It can do twisties and track work, but that rear suspension doesn't help it much.
>>
>>14740321
>They're good looking cars but they're so common and don't know if I'd want to drop that much on a C4, even a ZR1.
That's a shame because it meets every requirement you posted.
>>
personally i would go with a 560sec. kind of rare to find but usually not too expensive, cheaper than 15k to find one in near mint condition at least and its a cool as fuck car that is going to get near universal praise from most of the common public. Old merc's in general are very classy cars that people like and while you might get a few haters on this forum the general consensus even among car enthusiasts is that they are fine cars to own. If you want to go right up to your budget look at getting the cosworth w201. people who know old mercs will adore your car and its something you can take to shows/meet-ups and fit right in as its a very good car to have plus you can find manuals of them. only problem is a 190e 2.6 cosworth might run around 15k depends, i havent really been watching the prices for them recently but they are expensive
>>
Or you could go for an 80s SL/SLC both cars will run you anywhere from 10-15k and both cars are attention seekers/great classics
>>
>>14744931
I know, but they're both small roadsters with powerful engines which makes them close enough.
>>14745004
I know, and theyre fine cars it's just...If I were spending that money I'd rather have a 500SL.
>>
>>14745060
The Cossy! I knew there was a 190 I was forgetting that was better than the Sportline but not as insanely rare as the Evo....I will look these up, this might be a good one.
>>
Have you thought about the e31?
>>
>>14745060
2.6 was not a Cosworth. The 2.3-16 was a Cosworth engine and the 2.5-16 was a Mercedes-built engine designed by Cosworth.
>>
>>14745060
Also 190Es are all rusty as fuck. Even the ones that claim to be totally rust-free. Just remove the Sacco panels and look. Guaranteed rust somewhere.
>>
>>14739280
>-Mercedes 500SL or 600SL R129
YES
>-Mercedes 500SL or 560SL R107
YES
>-Mercedes 560SEC C126
YES SO MUCH YES
>-Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline W201
YES
>-Mercedes 320TE S124
YES
>-Mercedes SLK (?) R170
No.
>-Mercedes CLK (?) C208
YAAAAAS

For 15k, you could find a near-perfect condition CLK55 or E55 (w208/w210). Look for one of those fuck everything else
>>
>>14745364
not really true i live in vegas and the most rust you'll see is like small patches above the back tire
>>
>>14745359
thanks for the correction, i knew that its just been so long since ive been obsessed with older mercedes. thanks!
>>
>>14745384
Man the SL R129 or C126 seems to be really calling me. Yes the power isnt quite as good as the modern Benzes but the 80's and 90's aka last of the golden era Benzes just pull on my heart strings in a way no other car has ever managed to do.

Dad wants an R107; I told him to get a 560SL and I'll get a 600SL and we'll go go meets together.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.