[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to remove U-joints without busting a nut?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: jzziPQ.png (485 KB, 631x468) Image search: [Google]
jzziPQ.png
485 KB, 631x468
Hey /o/, I'm have a tone of trouble tapping these u joints out of my u-joint saddle. Is there some wizardry to this?
>>
You have it off the car already right? After that remove clips if you have tgen. Sometimes they're like pic related sometimes they're small c clips on the caps that are covered in grease and you might not see them. Also chevy used plastic injection instead of clips so the first time those get replaced they need to be heated untill the schmoo oozes out.

After all that just support the right part and pound the shit out of the other.

Dont bend the yoke or knock off little weights.
>>
>>14735937
Heat senpai. Learn how to use a torch, everything becomes easier
>>
>>14735937
Bigger hammer
>>
>>14735937
>How to remove U-joints without busting a nut?
Easy, just fap beforehand.
>>
>>14735937

PB blaster and a torch. make sure you mark the shaft before removing it.
>>
>>14736036
KEK
>>
>>14736291
i work with one other guy in my shop and he doesn't believe me that marking it is important, of course i'm the new blood. I marked it a few times and he ended up ereasing them. oh well, here comes the pain.
>>
>>14736036
I come anyways. It's ok most of the time.
>>
File: install_ujoint.jpg (40 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
install_ujoint.jpg
40 KB, 639x426
rent the tool.

You need it to install the new u joints.

How has no one mentioned this yet?
>>
>>14736784

Use a bigass C clamp and a socket as a press.
>>
>>14736416

i guess it depends with the manufacture.
>>
File: icutmyself.jpg (389 KB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
icutmyself.jpg
389 KB, 4000x3000
>>14736887
DID SOMEONE SAY BIGASS
C CLAMP?

C

L

A

M

P

?
>>
Pull the two bolts off the differential remove the drive shaft apply penetrating oil remove clips use one socket bigger than the cap and place it under the joint smack top with smaller socket...beat the shit out of it
>>
File: 177141169.jpg (499 KB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
177141169.jpg
499 KB, 4000x3000
BRO, BRO, WERE YOUR C CLAMPS EVEN FORGED DURING THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION?
>>
>>14736784
OP here, Mr.Socket and Ms.Hammer and a big ass C-clamp couldn't get the job done. I went to O'reillys and they gave me a press similar to that. Thanks for the info will post results tonight desu.
>>
>>14738216
Neat
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.