[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
Post pics and discuss the wonders of steam cars

Am I the only person on this board crazy enough to want a steam car of some sort?
>>
>steam car

How am I supposed to look cool driving around a high-boy hot rod if it's running on steam?
>>
>>14734633
dat neverending torque doe
>>
>>14734633
Put a Doble engine into it. 150hp with 1000 ft. lb. of torque.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJq2Hc_mXFI
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 800x600
>>
Am I also the only one who thinks a modern electric steam hybrid would be a better alternative to just electric?
>>
>>14734628
the most modern steam car I've seen used a large disk shaped flash boiler with an equally large oil burning hob underneath
quick to get started with the only problem being it had to be kept on mostly level ground to work

a major problem with steam cars in the past has been them getting too hot and catching fire
>>14734653
dat boiler pressure
same reason air cars are considered a hazard
>>
>>14734628
>Am I the only person on this board crazy enough to want a steam car of some sort?

No, I want one too. I wish I was Jay Leno.
I love the sound of them chugging along and I'm assuming they have fantastic torque.

Dyno test when
>>
>>14736011
The most modern and probably best of all the steam cars was the Doble. The boiler was all automatically controlled and started electrically. And a head of steam could be built in 5 min.
>>
>>14736063
That's impressive.
Maybe make it a hybrid with electric motors so it can drive away instantly.
>>
>>14734628
Fuck pedestrian safety we steam burns nao
>>
File: shiny and chrome.jpg (51 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
shiny and chrome.jpg
51 KB, 600x656
>>14734628
Id' totally drive a steam car.
>We got boilers motherfuckers!
>>
>>14736141
My thoughts exactly. Steam cars burn almost all their fuel so emissions are just about nothing. Best green car ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ACO-HXvrRz8
>>
Problem with steam cars is water

Sure it's no big deal in a place like Toronto where it's right next to the largest source of fresh water on the planet, but how about Phoenix in the middle of the desert?
>>
>>14737797
Stop insisting on living in the fucking desert then. Las Vegas and Phoenix shouldn't exist.
>>
>>14737797
Closed loop with a condenser nigga
>>
>>14734628
steam cars are more reasonable than electric cars from an engineering point of view.
>>
File: thumb.jpg (64 KB, 640x250) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
64 KB, 640x250
Paxton Phoenix concept car from the 50's, based on further developments and refinements of the Doble steam generator and in a hardtop convertible.
>>
File: morgan.jpg (22 KB, 468x251) Image search: [Google]
morgan.jpg
22 KB, 468x251
Dream truck, a Morgan 10 ton steam truck using I believe a triple drum water tube boiler and fuel oil burner.
>>
/o/ loves overly complicated startup procedures so it should love them.
>>
>>14738454
Good point, would be interesting to see
>>
I hate steam.

Must log in to play a fucking game you've just bought... What the actual fuck!

What happened to popping a brand new case in the car on the way home and smelling the sweet fresh aroma of those newly printed pages?

Does having a hard copy mean nothing to you people?

>fml
#rainbow six Raven shield
>>
A reminder that drivers of these died horrifically in multiple cases. Steam explosions and exposure are not to be trifled with.
>>
Pretty sure I stumbled upon a thread here where one guy had a steam car. Could be mistaken though
>>
>>14738598
There has never been a case where a Stanley steam boiler has exploded.
>>
>>14738592
>>>/vg/

>>14738598
I think they can be made safe.
We've come a long way with material sciences and engineering since the first days of the steamer.

>>14738631
I'd love to see that.

If /n/ can have a blimp train feasibility thread I'm pretty sure /o/ can come up with a steam car for the next century :^)
>>
>>14738795
Steam cars are quite safe. The most dangerous part is lighting the pilot, if you let the gas build up too much it can flash back and singe/burn you when you light it. That problem was solved by Abner Doble. And there were all sorts of pressure relief valves if the pressure built up too much.
>>
>>14738598
A reminder that the water tube Stanley engine and some others did not explode like a fire tube boiler locomotive. If you aren't familiar with the system shut the fuck up. The internet is your friend.

Making a safe steam car with modern technology is easy. There is zero functional reason to do it, but you can make a modern boiler with higher output pressure and run stainless tubing and lines. Lots of skilled TIG involved so if you aren't able to pass a pressure weld test, hire someone who can or learn then have your work NDIed.

You aren't going to build one but you can learn from steam car owners, and from hobbyists who build live steam engines. This shit forum is NOT the place to do that.

Go to a car show where you know there will be steam cars. You'll enjoy it.
>>
>>14738598
>driving around with 30 gallons of gasoline behind an engine internally operating on explosions up to 3000 degrees is ok
>>
>>14739118
Ask any ford pinto owner in a fender bender how that works out. :^)
>>
>>14739643
http://www.perishablepundit.com/docs/The_Myth_of_the_Ford_Pinto_Case.pdf
Seems suspicious from the title alone.
>>
>tfw no massive steam car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FuCDRRb7k
>>
>>14739643
Or Mustang. Or Beetle.
>>
>>14738598
beta
>>
>>14738563
>>14738454
The condenser isn't 100% effective, especially in a desert climate. The water would simply evaporate.
>>
>>14740663
Did you even read the article? It talks about misconceptions around the Pinto court cases. Pintos being dangerous is a fact.
>>
My grandpa has a 26' steamboat, shit is cash. Wish I had some pictures on me
>>
>>14744134
This is indeed true. Doble claimed to be able to get 1000 miles out of 1 tank of water, in reality it is somewhere around 300-400 miles in a cool climate like the northeast. Point is a condenser car is much better than the old Stanley's that your lucky to get 100 miles on a tank of water.
>>
>>14744134
Go ask /n/ about it.
There were a few steam locos criss-crossing the desert equipped with condensers.

Wait, air conditioners are closed loop. And who said we need to use water as the working fluid either?

I think think a modern day steam/electric hybrid car is feasible.
Steam trains used steam to power a small electrical generator so there's that too.
>>
Is this the fedora of cars?
>>
>>14745840
Later Stanley and Doble cars also had steam generators to power their electrics as well. Mainly headlights and brake lights, and in the case of the Doble the automatic ignition and draft booster of the steam generator.
>>
>>14745851
No, because you have to know what you're doing to drive one.
>>14745863
That's cool, didn't know that.
>>
>>14745851
4 wheels are too mainstream, cafe racers are the hot shit for Macbook touting lumberjacks who frequent Starbucks
>>
>>14738592
kek'd
>>
>>14746057
Or perhaps a 3 wheeled Messerschmitt.
>>
>>14744134
South Africa used steam engines with a condenser like 80% effective. They ran for hundreds of miles on the same tank of water
>>
>steampunk faggotry
>>
>>14749489
It's a pretty good concept though. I want to a see one dyno'd
>>
>>14749489
But it's not you faggot. That term didn't even exist when these things were built.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.