[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Talk me out of racing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1455761170119.jpg (107 KB, 1130x742) Image search: [Google]
1455761170119.jpg
107 KB, 1130x742
So I'm about to turn 23 and don't know what to do. I am torn between saving money for my future family (tfw kv/no gf) or blow it all on racing. I am a firefighter and will inherit my parents business so I could live a secluded life where I just work and race. Is it worth it?
>>
well racing will make you broke quicker than a family will even with your families business

Id say go for it yolo
>>
Racing what? What series? Savings doesn't really mean much when you are in your 20s/30s, all of your financial decisions will be determined by your income and credit. Either way you probably don't have enough/make enough to race anything but karts or a few regional series.
>>
>>14734368
Anything I don't give a shit. Gimme a wheel and I'll race. Anything that involves a racing suit and an helmet.
>>
>>14734390
Bicycle racan?
>>
You can do it on the (relatively) cheap if you pick the right series. Time trial and autocross is the best entry level racing and the best way to get your skills up. After your initial car purchase the highest costs will be tires and gas. Lemons racing is supposed to be cheap but the safety equipment will run the price up fast, however it tends to be quite competitive and a lot of fun.

Vintage racing, sprint car, NHRA drag racing and single make are the next step up after lemons and are generally semi-pro. All will run you a lot of money and are not really sustainable unless you have sponsorships or a fuckton of starting capital.

OP if you want to race start with time attacks in your area with a stock or lightly modified class car. It will force you to improve and give you an idea of costs of owning a competitive car.
>>
>>14734390
The only thing you are going to be able to actually compete in is karts (which are awesome, not trying to imply there is anything wrong with that). There really aren't any closed body racing series that you can just jump into that aren't gentleman/amateur type racing. Spec Miata and the handful of other spec and entry level Formula series are cool and you can get some good regional competition but if you really want to compete you would have to travel a lot, have a small crew, it would be quite a bit of money combined with lots of time off of work.
>>
If you're simple enough to like drag racing, that's like 10x easier.
>>
>>14734351
buy a charger like that pure sex
>>
>>14734434
> lemons
> cheap
Lol. It's a shit series too.
>>
>>14734478
You say that out of experience of competing in both? How is drag racing "easier"? Both drag racing and circuit racing are exercises in lighting money on fire, you race, maybe break the car, maybe it does well, figure out what needs to change, spend more money, and do it again. The knowledge required in fabrication/maintaining a car is about the same in both.
>>
>>14734521

I maybe misinformed, but I always figured more money goes into a car that ends up in the 1% of the nurburgring than one that ends up in 1% of the drag strip. Top fuel dragsters that is.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.