[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a new car.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 2016032895133007.jpg (357 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2016032895133007.jpg
357 KB, 1600x900
Alright /o/, I'm looking at getting a new car soon. I've got a max budget of $30k and while I don't need a racecar I'd like something decently sporty. Of course I'd prefer a manual for muh driving feels but isn't a 100% necessity. My current considerations are as follows:

2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD with 29k miles -- $22,000
New BRZ, fully loaded -- $28,000
New WRX optioned up to 30k -- $30,000

Honestly I'm really liking the idea of that Cadillac. It's got ~275hp and ~295ftlb in a ~3100lb car, so it's competitive with the WRX, and while it is an automatic it will have many more creature comforts than either of the alternatives. It also has its manufacturer warranty up at 70k miles.

What kind of opinions do you guys have, and are there any other cars that you would suggest for me? Keep in mind that while I am an enthusiast this will be my only car so I'm looking for a comfortable and reliable daily driver I can have some fun in. My second car down the road is going to be more fun-oriented if I don't end up with the BRZ or WRX.
>>
go hunting for a manual rwd 2.0T ATS with the premium package, which throws in a lot of nice stuff including

>limited slip diff
>magnetic ride control which is incredibly good
>various extra comfy features and driver's aids like adaptive cruise control

they're out there but they're kinda rare, as an upside nobody in that price range buys manual so they tend to sit on lots for a while and you can cut a good deal

as a bonus; the 2.0T takes well to tuning, shoot for just north of 300whp to get a nice blend of fast and livable
>>
>>14731364
almost forgot, the premium package throws in a really fucking good full color HuD that integrates speed and revs and directions and music stuff. its really nice for a factory hud
>>
>>14730941
Cash or financing? How much down?
>>
>>14730941
If cash buy a used car for much better possibilities.
If financing go suck a dick, people will know you're just a poor faggot by your appearance.
>>
>>14731762
daily reminder that financing is not inherently bad and it's actually good to be in a small amount of manageable debt to keep your credit score really high
i think a lot of millennials are debt-averse because of the recession
>>
>>14732168
Or they just don't fucking understand finances period
>>
buying a new car is the classic sign of a moron.

you literally lose 10% just driving it off the lot
>>
>>14731469
>>14731762
>>14732168

I mean I could sell my stocks and take the money out of my accounts to buy cash, but honestly I'd rather finance because my investments are bringing a higher return rate than the interest would lose me.

I've also got $23k in a checking account, so I could go that route but I like to have at least six months living expense as an emergency fund if everything went to shit in my financial life.

I'm 20 years old and as a millennial I did feel a great aversion to financing and going into debt, but I feel like living with a slightly less net income and having a large liquid asset in case of a crisis. Financing my current car is also a huge component of my 750 credit score.

>>14731364
I've been searching for a manual of any kind and haven't been able to find one for sale within 500 miles. Just got back from driving the car and honestly the automatic has great shifts and doesn't go searching for gears much at all like in the 2.5 NA. If I do end up modding it, I'll be waiting until after the 70k mile warranty. In all reality the stock power and torque felt great, and at the end of the drive I realized there was a sport mode I hadn't even.
>>
>>14731364
>>14732816
Also it turns out the one I was looking at is a 2013, not a 2015. I misread. I think it has the same engine nonetheless. I'm going to check on the trim level.
>>
>>14732803
Help me longpostguy, lend me your wisdom
>>
>>14732831
A/o/tism aside, there is nothing wrong with financing if you can get a decent interest rate, and your net income can support the payment. You simply have to be aware of the depreciation, and take that into account. If you plan on keeping the car for 5+ years, it won't really hurt you that much. If this is something you want to pick up for 2-3 years, used would likely be better.

Just make sure you consider long term income security as well if you go the finance route, and the fact you will have to carry full coverage insurance.

As far as the cars, I wouldn't do the BRZ unless you plan on modding it, and if you are even remotely considering something as comfy as the ATS, I think you would regret it. WRX just isn't my style, but the upside is, Subar- tax will ensure it holds value well

If you're leaning more towards the luxury end of things, you really should shop cars that are a more direct competitors to the ATS (C Class, 3 Series)
>>
>>14732866
I'm hoping on keeping this car for as long as reasonably possible and financially(repairs) viable. I very much enjoyed it and it has a lot more utility than my current two-seater.

I currently owe 3,840 on my 2005 Crossfire with 53,000 miles on it and outright own my 2001 focus zx3 with 151,000 miles on it. I've already talked the price of the ATS down to 20,000, and so if I can get a combined 8,840 for the trades that will leave me with 15,000 to finance. My financial situation is posted above so I'm not afraid of financing this much, and with a 3% interest rate that should come out to ~$260/mo. I'm currently paying $152/mo for the crossfire so that all comes out to a much nicer, much newer, more enjoyable car for $108 more a month, which doesn't sound at all bad to me.

Is there anything I've overlooked? And getting that value for those trades isn't unrealistic is it? Like I said earlier I have $23,000 in the bank, 20 of which is my 6mo emergency, so I can put down an additional $3k if needed or if the trades don't suffice. What do you think?
>>
>>14732915
Oh, and I'm pretty dead set on the ATS if I haven't made that clear. I drove it again today and got a second opinion so unless there's some catastrophic issue with the car I'm unaware of, that's the car I'm probably buying.
>>
>>14732831
Pay cash for a Lexus ls430 with decent mileage. Shouldn't be more than 15k. More luxury than a shitty ats and faster to 60 than a toyobaru.
>>
>>14732927
What year and mileage should I expect if I'm going to seriously consider your post?
>>
>>14732936
05-06 are the best years. Mileage probably around 75-100k. I wouldn't buy one with more than that unless the timing belt had been changed with records to prove it. They're the best luxury car ever made outside of rolls royce and Bentley and more reliable than an s-class. They'll hit 300k or more if you take care of them.
>>
>>14730941

AWD ATS 2.0L base starting price was deep in the $38K range, needless to say i'm shocked that you can find them used a year later for $22K.

holy fucking depreciation.
>>
>>14732995
Turns out it's a 2013, not 2015
>>
>>14732977
I'd prefer a newer car than that. As I said, I'm 20, and no matter how self aware I am about it my image is still a very big thing for me. I appreciate the suggestion though. Does Lexus have anything newer that's comparable?
>>
>>14733021
Why do you care about age? As long as it looks nice it's not like normies could look at it from the outside and tell it's old.
>>
>>14732915
>>14732922
Sounds like you have the bases pretty well covered them. Just make sure you do the due diligence on looking over the ATS.
>>
I think you should go with a sedan for practicality. BRZ may be fun but the lack of interior space will annoy you after a while, even if you dont always have a need for the extra space. Also since you care about image, driving a BRZ only makes you look like a pubescent yoloswagger.

I'd go with a used IS350 or used GS350.
>>
>>14732816
>>14732827
it's worth finding a manual, flying out and driving it back, roadtripping a new car home is a pretty magical experience actually

that said, i can understand if you'd rather not bother and just stick with the auto. it's not bad it's just.....it feels weird to get such a sporty little sedan like the ats and not go for a stick
>>
File: lexus is350 fsport.jpg (863 KB, 1500x938) Image search: [Google]
lexus is350 fsport.jpg
863 KB, 1500x938
>>14733069
also yes, used IS350s will be of a comparable price at this point, look for the Fsport package, but it all depends on if you're into the crazy alternative styling
>>
>>14733030
>can't tell that it's old
I think it looks very much like an early 2000's Lexus. And don't get me wrong, it's got inoffensive styling and hasn't aged poorly, but it's just not going to impress anyone in my peer group, for lack of better terms.

You go to pick up a normie girl in a late model Cadillac, she comments that it's a nice car. The same can't be said for a 2005 Lexus I'm afraid.

I'm already bracing for all the hate I'm going to get for this post, but the reality of the matter is cars are very much status symbols for those outside of the enthusiast community.
>>
>>14733096
Bullshit. If it's clean and got leather and wood and that little L badge, a bitch will say it's nice. Who cares what bitches think? You don't want a gold digger anyway.
>>
>>14733074
My only hesitation with doing that is that it's a pretty big commitment to the vehicle buying that plane ticket. I'd feel bad going all the way out there and then learning of some new or hidden information that will send me home empty handed. That mindset puts me in a position to be fucked over pretty easily, and with the recent horror stories circulating I'd rather be more cautious than not
>>
>>14733111
I can respect the trips. I've got nothing to lose, I'll go looking for one and go for a test drive.
>>
>>14733124
considering how new the car is, i wouldn't worry about it desu sempai
you can just get it inspected by a mechanic for like $150
>>
>>14730941
hands down get the ATS. Got one like you second hand, awd 2.0t, automatic and its the best damn car i've ever ridden in by a country mile. Extremely steady on the road, good sound dampening, ride is silky and yet the car is quick and fun to drive (based alpha platform). all your getting with a subie is an upmarket awd corrolla.
A caddy is a whole lot more than that.
T. ats owner
>>
>>14733563
also, mine is luxury package and 2013.
i recommend getting a good sealant done on the car, then rain just keeps it spotless. But thats just me, i like a clean caddy. You won't regret it. Also my dealership is great. They clean my car everytime i go, even for an oil change. Maybe its just this caddilac dealership, but i bet you subaru don't do that shit. Get the caddy
>>
>>14733563
>>14733599
I'm very happy with this input. I'm going to get my Cadillac next week.
>>
>>14730941

Cadillac.

I would not recomend DD'ing a BRZ. it is tiny, noisy, and barebones.
>>
>>14731364
wtf, ATS can have MRC? Fuck this shit, my 2nd gen CTS doesn't have it
>>
>>14736100
Get fucked bill gates.
>>
>>14736105
Mate, I bought it a year ago used, hardly anything astronomically expensive.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.