[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just closed the real estate deal of a lifetime and am going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
I just closed the real estate deal of a lifetime and am going to get a solid 70k in commissions.

I am giving very serious thought to just drop ± 25k on making my 2001 New Beetle go fast but I know little about cars tbqh.

If I were to go to 3 separate euro tuner garages and offer them $500 each to come up with a detailed estimate of what they'd do, with the parameters being "gotta go fast", and chose the one that seemed the most value for dollar with solid end results, took that to some forum for them to weigh in on, and dropped the cash in one sum, how badly would I get ripped off?

Would I just be getting a $25,000 oil change?
>>
Serious question... Why does it have to be your beetle
>>
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
>>
i'll admit, the new beetle is an underrated tuner car and really unusual but i wouldn't dump nearly 25k into it.

with 25k you can get a lot of really excellent cars, like get a pristine e39 m5 and supercharge it + better suspension + big brakes
>>
Why drop 25k on a beetle?
>>
New Beetles are garbage. And I'm saying this as someone who actually likes VW. I think people were swapping VR6s into them when they were new, but no one bothers with modding them anymore.

If you're into the beetle aesthetic, the single best thing you could do with that kind of money is trade up to a 2012+ Beetle and go from there. Or better yet, find yourself a straight old Beetle and have an old school VW guy build a good motor for it, and maybe do some restoration/restomod work.
>>
File: file.png (699 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
699 KB, 800x600
The only option
>>
>>14730395
>supercharge an e39 m5

...why not just get yourself a 540i. I mean, you're replacing the suspension & brakes anyway, and the 540 would be 1/3 the price of the M5, leaving you easily $5-10k extra to play with for interior parts and/or wheels & tires or cosmetics.

If you're adding FI and sending it to a tuner anyway, feels a little bit unnecessary to buy the M5 as opposed to another 5 series; the chassis is the same, and it's not like you'd get significantly more drivability out of the M than out of a 540.
>>
>>14730369
You'd be better off getting a another car with better potential and dropping money that. 25k into beetle is steep, but if that's your dream don't let us stop you.
>>
>>14730449
fair enough, although the M5 does have some magic of its own with little extra bits like the better steering box and "sport button" which does a lot of fancy things with the S62 DME
>>
>>14730375
>>14730395
>>14730401
>>14730419

At that price point couldn't I do a whole engine swap?

Even if not, it has a 1.8L turbo engine and I've definitely hit 120 and it was still climbing... So no, not a slow car by any stretch. Plus that low weight and plus it's got sexy curves, I see no reason why I couldn't bring the 0-60 below 5 seconds comfortably. I also envision this, properly tuned, as being able to climb all the way up to 170... I believe, man.

I drive my clients around in an xc90 but I've had this Beetle for years, i've taken her across Canada and probably dropped 3k or so into the bug just making sure everything was tip top. I want to keep this one for years and years, the wife loves it and I'd like to give it to my kid one day.
>>
Anon, buy a porsche 911. It's basically a glorified beetle.

ALTERNATIVELY you could turn your beetle into a Porsche replica
>>
>>14730508
Then just keep it nice and buy an S2000 or something for a fun car.
>>
>>14730369
>25k

>import Trabant 601
>Buy hayabusa engine
>convert to RWD, get a real Gearbox & Suspension
>Pay tuner cunts to get HAYABUSA over 200 bhp
>Swap it in
>Literally rattle past anything 'sporty' driven by a ricer
>World's cheapest Super Car, sub 3 second 0-100kmph
>Die when your 650kg POS rips it's cotton bodywork into a gorillion pieces
>Do it for Lenin
>>
>>14730529
Best hope OP doesn't live somewhere with cold winters, Trabants have been known to shed body parts when it's freezing.
>>
File: greentrabant.jpg (968 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
greentrabant.jpg
968 KB, 2048x1536
>>14730529
I fully agree with this post
>>
>>14730542
You don't turn a cardboard pile of melted girders and communism into the world's most dangerous piece of flying cardboard for less than 10k and worry about practicality, do you?

Hell, think of it as an improved Acceleration system, lightens you up to make the most of your horrifying bike engine.

Seriously though. Is it wrong I want to do this? The parts involved are relativel cheap and Trabi's are way too chaspy made to rape you with insurance.

Oh fuck, I hear there's a conversion kit for a reverse gear, for those who dare trust Stalin's arse when you can't see it
>>
>>14730562
>tfw no hayabusa trabant race series
>you will never watch 15 maxed out widebody trabants barrel around a corner, flinging body panels in their wake
Wouldn't even be that expensive to host until you have to pay one of the drivers' families when they inevitably kick the bucket
>>
>>14730508
You could do a VR6 swap, but the engine isn't really the problem. it's just a bad platform in general- poorly built, heavy, and awkward. Not to mention FWD.

If you've got sentimental attachment to the car, use some of your funds to keep it nice (and put a fire extinguisher in the cabin somewhere). Maybe spend the rest on a toy that you can actually make fun.
>>
>>14730508
>1.8L turbo
>bring the 0-60 below 5 seconds

You'll be hurting drivability if you tried to squeeze that much power out of the engine.

Sure, you could do an engine swap, but why would you? With a FWD car, you need all kinds of computer magic to make anything over 250 hp drivable, and a 2001 VW doesn't have the differentials or ECU to handle it effectively.

People are suggesting other cars, etc. because to most people here, pumping a lot of money into a modern VW Beetle feels like a waste of money; sure, they're cute or whatever, and I guess they can be fun to drive, but you're better off just enjoying the Beetle the way it is and/or adding a few bolt ons; spending $25k to make it as fast as possible is not necessarily going to net you more smiles per mile, as it were, because the car just isn't designed for lots of horsepower.
>>
>>14730500
>better steering box
that would bolt right into a non-M; if OP is replacing suspension anyway, the steering rack wouldn't be a huge challenge.

>sport button
it basically just adjusts throttle response; it doesn't make the car faster or anything, it just adjusts the throttle response to allow the engine to react to smaller pedal position changes.

If you really wanted it, you could easily tune that into the 540; alternatively, the re-tune on an S62 with FI could potentially render the sport button useless. It's all kind of a crap shoot once you start talking about custom tunes & maps & stuff.
>>
>dropping 70k
>into a new beetle

creative troll, I'll give you that
>>
>>14730369
What kind of engine does it have? If 2.5l i5, a turbo, internal upgrades, and bolt ons, and tune can put you around 350whp. C2, United Motorsport, and Integrated Engineering all make upgrade parts (intake mani's, turbo parts, software) so it's do-able man, have fun, I've thought about doing this to my Golf

Although, maybe they can just drop in a 2.0t, and tune it?
>>
>>14730785
He didn't say that, you dullard
>>
I would buy a new car first desu. A gti or gli maybe if you stick with vw
>>
Get an old school beetle, and swap in a porsche 356 1600 trans/motor. Some basic work on those brings you to 100 hp and in a tin can, thats fucking fast.
>>
>>14730862
yes he did
>>
>>14730844
He said it's a 1.8L Turbo. The 2.5L wasn't used in the bug until 2005. OP's is a 2001 model.
>>
>>14730890
reread OP's ppost. He made a 70 profit.
$25k of that would go into the bug.

LEARN TO READ
>>
>2001 New Beetle
>real-estate

no one even realized OP is a woman
>>
>>14730897
What's wrong with that
>>
>>14730369
Just get a Challenger SRT Hellcat if you have 70k to spend, or is that just your income? Also, if you're a yuropoor, get an M5. Don't be a boyracer in a beetle.
>>
>op wants a cute sleeper
>no one suggests NA miata engine swap

Either do a full v8 conversion, or build a KMiata.
>>
>>14731062
Tits or GTFO.
>>
>>14733036
He made 70k profit on one real estate deale and plans to dump 25k of it into a 2001 New Beetle Turbo because he has a sentimental attachment to it.

Try actually reading some time. You might learn something.
>>
>>14730369
>offer them $500 each to come up with a detailed estimate of what they'd do
This is fucking retarded
>>
>>14733515
yeah OP don't pay people just for a quote, goodness.
>>
>>14730369

Ugh.

Here's the thing.

Any big expenditure should be at least partially an investment. Lets say you buy a porsche with that 70k. Later on you could sell that Porsche and still get plenty of money without losing too much.

But this Beetle thing is pure loss. No one will give a fuck about these mods, and you will only lose money if you sell the car.

I had a mustang that I loved for a long time and am now selling. I put about $5k into mods. No buyers give a fuck about the mods and actually the mods hurt the resale a little.

Also when it comes to a TON of modding, its better to just trade your car on one that already has mostly what you want, then mod a car a fuckton that hardly has what you want.
>>
>>14733663
>Any big expenditure should be at least partially an investment
Nah. If you have the disposable income and the utility of the purchase is that it makes you happy, no big deal. Cars are rarely an "investment" that yields anything other than losses and only idiots "invest" in their cars thinking they'll get something out of it.
>>
File: 720blazeit.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
720blazeit.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
get pic related plus 6 days
>>
>>14734090
And power your car with jet fuel

Make sure you don't have steel I-beam rods.
>>
>>14733663

You can own any vehicle, the second you do any kind of restoration/modification, chances are you've lost money in the long run.
>>
>yfw you realize this thread was how the 911 was invented
>>
>>14736192
>>14730516
This. If OP loves her Beetle's characteristics, a 911 is the correct choice to go fast. She should just take a test drive and never look back.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.