[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So.. Question.. I drive a 2000 pontiac grand prix gt. Its not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: download.png (167 KB, 624x300) Image search: [Google]
download.png
167 KB, 624x300
So.. Question.. I drive a 2000 pontiac grand prix gt. Its not a bad little car as long as you keep up with it considering its not the best and it's old. My question: I think it would be cool to own a GTP but instead of hunting down and buying a GTP should I just supercharge my GT? Wanting to supercharge a grand prix may sound dumb and like a bad idea to some which is why I'm here for,opinions lol
>>
At least one of you on here should totally help me make up my mind
>>
Alone??????
>>
File: IMAG0997.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0997.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>14729492
Buy a regal gs instead
>>
>>14729614
That would certainly be better but being 18 and working almost minimum wage on top of needing to hold money to help with housing for college.... it takes a minute to save up for a decent running car lol. Hell it takes a minute to have any money to get involved with anything that's got a motor
>>
File: laughatyou.png (138 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
laughatyou.png
138 KB, 375x375
>grand prix
>dumb idea

Yes, it is a dumb idea, and I think you were a dumb idea from your dad for not pulling out
>>
>>14729741
God I so honestly wish he would have pulled lmao life is stupid. Well, what do you suggest for me if I want something to modify and tune up etc etc.. On a tight budget too
>>
>>14729773
cold air intake bro. adds like 50 hp at least (to the wheels, of course)
>>
File: IMAG0901.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0901.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
>>14729632
You just answered your own question, then. The s/c 3800 has a different bottom end than the n/a, so you'd be looking at a motor swap plus pcm plus injectors at least, which including labor would be more than finding a stock s/c. Regals are cheaper than the Pontiac equivalent, because Buick. I got pic related for 1450 @ 117k miles.
>>
>>14729783
Dude bro it actually adds like 60hp and almost another 47ft/lbs of torque because racecar intake broham
>>
>>14729789
I Honestly never knew they were different. I was wondering if the entire front end of the n/a and s/c car are different too (more reinforced from factory with supercharger) because I was under the impression (also a little too hopeful of it working) that a majority of it was the same but thanks for correcting me. I've been keeping an eye out for a supercharged regal for some time now and so far no luck. My buddy's mom drives one but not for sale.
>>
>>14729789
This is most certainly false. ZZPerformance sells what they call a "top swap kit". Just go to their site and check it out
>>
File: IMAG0920.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0920.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
>>14729923
Seems that the bottom end is the same, I stand corrected. Either way, that's the gasket set only (all I was able to find) so you'd still need the head on up, so if you can find a cheap stock s/c, you're better off. The front end is the same though - you'll have a different instrument cluster most likely too... Unless you can source parts and labor under 1500, I wouldn't recommend converting your GT to a GTP
>>
>>14729960
No the bottom end is different. Short block is the same and camshaft is the same. Crank is the same. Pistons are a bit different. To supercharge a NA 3800 you need the heads, injectors, coil packs, injectors, and gaskets. Also you need a heavy duty differential for the 4T65E. If you can't get the heads from a L67, just order zzp's manifold kit. Since the bottom end is slightly different, you will have more horsepower with the supercharger. Higher compression is why.
>>
>>14729970
Also the PCM should be tuned by ZZP. Core swap is fine as long as you send your old one back within a month or so.
>>
>>14729970
Yeah I'd rather get a stock s/c and upgrade that, what a hassle
>>
>>14730175
Its really not a hassel at all. Its quite like the "$500 and a weekend" meme. Only its more than $500 and you dont have to pull your motor and zzp sells a kit that gives you every single thing you will need, and instructions on paper and pdf.
>>
>>14730229
Just got reference

http://zzperformance.com/3800/superchargers-eaton-parts/l36-supercharger-kit.html
>>
Much appreciated info everyone lol. Now I just have to decide whether to do the work and mod my current car, or find something s/c from factory. Pretty much just down to the financial factor as usual.
>>
>>14729492
its been done many times before. They all it a top swap.
http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3800-l36-to-l67-top-swap/
http://zzperformance.com/3800/superchargers-eaton-parts/l36-supercharger-kit.html
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.