[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it risky to replace a valve cover gasket on a old, high mileage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: tide.png (85 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
tide.png
85 KB, 275x183
Is it risky to replace a valve cover gasket on a old, high mileage car?

I'm worried that if I remove and re-install the valve cover that I'll potentially cause new problems.

I know certain things you should leave alone after a point, like transmission fluid. But what about this?

pic unrelated.
>>
>>14726035

Shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>14726035
replacing a gasket on a old high mileage car should never give you a fucking issue unless you do something improperly (forget rtv/sealant where its required by manufacturer, overtorque bolts or dont use torque pattern required)

in which case you'll have to redo the job over again because your leak wont go away
>>
>>14726035
No it should be fine as long as you do it right.

It really isn't very complicated or difficult so you should be good.
>>
>>14726135

Retard here.

What happens when you over or unevenly torque the bolts?
>>
>>14726154

>overtorque
Broken bolt or stripped

>torque uneven
warpage possibly enough to cause leak
>>
File: torque pattern.jpg (9 KB, 311x162) Image search: [Google]
torque pattern.jpg
9 KB, 311x162
Why would replacing a valve cover gasket cause any new problems to occur?

I can see why removing the head gasket could cause problems, because then you'd have to line up the piston rings and timing belt/chain again. But the valve cover gasket should be easy to replace.

Just make sure to remember these things:

1) Scrape off the old gasket with a razor before putting on the new one.

2) Don't drop the razor, sockets or other small tools into the engine, because then you'll have to fish it out with a magnet stick or remove the oil pan, both could take hours.

3) Torque the bolts down in a clockwise pattern. Start from the center so you don't warp the new gasket. Pic related m8.
>>
>>14726175

10/10 post
>>
>>14726175

>I removing the head gasket could cause problems, because then you'd have to line up the piston rings

Wait what?
>>
Can you still drive with a bad VGC? What could go wrong other than a little oil loss?

seems non-critical
>>
>>14726035
What car? Its common to do and easy as fuck
>>
>>14726235

Probably something he saw in an anime.
>>
>>14726374

What anime teaches you about auto mechanics?
>>
>>14726291
Correct. There's no compression up there or anything just a little splashy splashy
>>
>>14726593

Don't know but it seems to be where many on /o/ gets all of their car "knowledge" from
>>
>>14726299

Corolla
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.