[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hol up I'm gonna replace my enclosed airbox with a giant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: cone filter.jpg (22 KB, 700x383) Image search: [Google]
cone filter.jpg
22 KB, 700x383
>Hol up I'm gonna replace my enclosed airbox with a giant cone filter that will heat up in the engine and make the intake temp hotter losing me horsepower.

Why do people do this? Most modern cars have some kind of ram air ducting to allow fresh air to be collected from the grill or near the wheel well. These just suck air directly out the hot engine bay.
>>
Because they're retarded
>>
because they look sick boi
>>
>>14725894

for that sweet induction noise
>>
>>14725894
My car has a actively switched valve built into the intake that works well for efficiency, but is bad for making more power.
>>
You don't understand the concept of physical dimensions do you? An intake kit increase the volume of air that your engine is drawing in. Routing it outside the engine bay is a plus, not the main purpose. You still gain horsepower from the larger volume of air, regardless of where it's routed.
>>
>>14725937
Mightcarmods proved they do fuck all
>>
File: 1456354103439.jpg (155 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456354103439.jpg
155 KB, 1280x1080
>>14725952
>Mightycarmods
>>
>>14725937
Nah, forced induction increseas the volume of air, messing with the filter does fuck all. Take your air filter out and see if you notice anything. Hell, be rigorous about it and do some dyno runs to compare both scenarios.

Getting the air from the front instead of the engine bay probably doesn't make a difference either, but that is at least logical
>>
File: facebutter.jpg (93 KB, 460x497) Image search: [Google]
facebutter.jpg
93 KB, 460x497
>>14725952
>>
>>14725952
>mightycarmods
>testing it on a dyno
Back to r/cars with you
>>
>>14725937
Shits limited by the throttle size anyway. Any sane car designer isnt going to restrict anything in front of the throttle. You can see this yourself by comparing the diameter of the intake tubing to the throttle plate
>>
>>14726039
Most of them still are most dont trip up till you get into a good convo.
>>
Thinking about getting some ITBs. Pros/cons?

they're sexy as fuck
>>
>>14726094
pros:
> -Hp gainz when tuned for them
> -hektic noise.

cons:
> -expensive
> -if you're one of those autists that runs unfiltered throttle bodies on the street then you deserve what happens to your engine.
>>
>>14726094
>Pros
- Looks cool
- N/A powah
>Cons
- Tuning difficulty
- Filters rob power
>>
>>14726052
>A dyno is not a good place to calculate horsepower increases.
>>
>>14726155
Were they running fans during the dyno?
>>
>>14726155
it's not necessarily a good place if it's not even determined whether the original intake was restrictive or not.
you can test it on a bench and take a bunch of variables out of the equation.
>>
>>14725937
the colder the air the more dense it is and therefore more oxygen is being brought into the engine. cold air makes way more power compared to the small increase in filter area that an intake will provide.
>>
>>14725937
>>14726023
Also, a large diameter intake runner might sound good because it allows more air to go through but, like most things in life, "it's not that simple". Smaller diameter intake means higher velocity, larger diameter means higher flow rate, and there's other things to be taken into account like drag and shock waves from the valves movement...

I'm not saying your intake design is as good as it can be, but if your line of reasoning is "bigger is better" and "OEM air filters are choking my car and stealing power"" you should probably leave it like it came from the factory
>>
>>14726183
But then all you get is a bench result that's of no use to anyone.

Sticking it on a dyno is the best wave of proving if they work in the real world.
>>
>>14726194
on a moving car the air hitting a cone air filter located by the headlamp is pretty much ambient temp.
>>
>>14725894

>change intake
>never adjust ECU at all for this
>test

IT DON DO NUFFIN BRO
>>
They did, and they went as far as put it out the front headlight for "maximum cool air"
>>
CAI are best served as bottleneck removers. They're gate openers to more power, not power creators.

They won't give you more power if the engine hasn't been modified to make use of the extra airflow in the first place.

Although if setup correctly a CAI can increase throttle response and gas mileage by itself.
>>
>>14726179
They did, and they went as far as put it out the front headlight for "maximum cool air"
>>
>>14726199
>not neccessarily
>>
>>14726199
it's literally the same except one takes into account gearbox and drivetrain losses and the other does not. Also, cars are tested on the dyno at full throttle, which is of little use in "the real world" and merely serves as an indicative and a comparative. You don't have to test at full throttle, but that's how everyone does it.
>>
>>14726233
Just drain the capacitors (Unhook battery and then run the cars positive lead to the cars ground) It will reset the tables and put the ECU and computers into learning mode
>>
Say, my engine is not quite popular between racing communities because N/A in line 4 cylinders 1.6 liters.
If I get a CAI installed, and assuming I get access to ECU reprogramming tools, what is exactly the change one has to make?
Alternatively, what are some resources/website where I can learn myself some?
>>
>>14726255
But that's retarded. Why would a manufacturer gimp their own product in efficiency and power?

Modern cars are limited at the exhaust end not the intake end.
>>
>>14726303
You need a wideband. Adjust the amount of fuel going in to make it a close to 14.7:1 as you can then take it to a dyno and adjust slightly leaner and richer to see if you get more power. Then add timing till you ping
>>
>>14726685
>But that's retarded. Why would a manufacturer gimp their own product in efficiency and power?
No idea why, but they do.
>>
File: 69-9505T_Eng.jpg (70 KB, 1000x604) Image search: [Google]
69-9505T_Eng.jpg
70 KB, 1000x604
The stock air box on a B8 Audi A4 is pretty restrictive. Most likely designed to be as quiet as possible since it's a luxury sports sedan.

The K&N Intake is a huge improvement. My throttle response has drastically improved, my turbo spools significantly quicker and I can hear the turbo whining even with my windows closed. Paired with a blow off valve, it's a HUGE improvement on my 2.0l TFSI engine and it sounds way better.

It also comes with its own compartment channels to keep the warm air out.

So it looks like the OP needs to find better cars to tune.
>>
>>14726847
Reliability is the major reason
If you want the engine to last a long time it's better to run it significantly under its actual limits, especially when there's a turbo
>>
>>14726685
You'd think that in this day and age, but it's actually still quite common to increase mpg's and throttle response with CAI's.

Talk to anybody who's installed one and I guarantee they will tell you it increased anywhere from 1 to 5 miles on average.
>>
>>14726730
Thanks fampai, gonna look up what's available locally.

And my nissan econobox airbox is quite restrictive, so I'll def get this done. Plus that sweet sweet sound.
>>
>>14726044

what about termi and dead? only the trolls are really memorable....
>>
>>14727769
dead bought a NB MX-5 and left his trip for good.
>>
>>14726222

Yeah, that is why here, in the winter at -30 celsius, on the highway, the inch thick ice sheet on my hood is melting off, because of ambient temp.
>>
>>14727943
Well, no temperature the permanence. I am will sure that you have car the bonnet the sublimated. It's not that you don't know but are not even sure slightly. Nobody trusts you. Your know that car is cheated, you're are the hot air, freezing will not defer to the rubber or metal, that is necessarily a chance. Driving your car... it is a lie.
>>
when I got my car it came with one
figured I'd just leave it in, since it's from 1999
>>
I did it because it sounds cool, also clearing up more room before turbo
>>
>>14726294
>what is non-volatile memory

But yes, getting the ECU into learning mode usually helps.
>>
HONK !!
>>
With the WRX that I have the filter and intake box are finr, what's not fun are the accordion post MAF hose and the cramped turbo inlet hose. If you replace both of those then the stock ari box is your limiting component pre turbo.
>>
File: pimpmywhat.jpg (18 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
pimpmywhat.jpg
18 KB, 500x328
>>14727980
>>
>>14726852
>2.0l TFSI
>tinkering around with it

Yeah, Good luck with the repair bill, when your turbo shits the bed.

The modern tfsi's are calculated to fail, they don't build them to last. Like with every "luxury" sedan shit is designed to sell you spare parts.
All you did was shorteting the lifespan of certain components for your silly benchrace placebo effect.
>>
Some aftermarket "cool air intakes" can be worth it... The whole point of them though is cool air. That one has a heat shield but idk it's short. If I want cool air im gonna go all the way and move the end of the intake as far from the engine as possible.. Even then, good cool air intakes don't do much, not so good ones do nothing other give you more engine noise under the hood. I think that's why most people who aren't completely stupid do it
>>
>>14726685
noise reduction
>>
>>14725894
Because I got sick of ultra super duct taping 30 year old polymer and just said "fuck it" and bought something made out of metal.
>>
>>14726852
lel those Audi turbo 4's are a ticking time bomb way to.go.
>>
>>14725894
buyers remorse for spending $500 on PVC pipe with attached filter
>>
>>14730148
nice sperg
>>
>>14725937
>An intake kit increase the volume of air that your engine is drawing in.

No, it doesn't. The choke point in any N/A intake is the throttle body. Everything else you said is irrelevant, because it doesn't matter how much air is in the intake, it's all about how much of it can get through the throttle body at any given time.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.