[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't /o/ like Volkswagens? They seem to follow a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 11
Why doesn't /o/ like Volkswagens?

They seem to follow a design philosophy that /o/ likes in making cheap, reliable premium econoboxes with manual transmissions standard on most models.

Is it because of Audi and their sometimes rebadged "upscaled" models? Because honestly, if you look past that, the brand in itself is really solid in itself.

So am I missing something or what?
>>
>>14725642
>fwd

most autists on /o/ don't care about interior accoutrements at all, which is VW's main selling point
>>
>>14725642
I love my vw, I hate the fanbase though.
>muh slammed hot hatch
>muh euro plates
>>
owners think they are driving advanced pieces of technology/ engineering....
Just a shitbox german civic
>>
>>14725695
Turbo shitbox civic, with an interior that actually looks nice.
>>
>>14725642
they're not reliable
they're not premium

>so am I missing something or what?
you must live under a rock.
>>
>>14725695
VW has higher material specs than competitor brands, I can promise you. I worked for them in procurement a few years ago and our benchmarks were always higher and our specs harder to reach.

VW profit margins are super low for a reason. They put more into their cars than other brands do. Whether the final product is better or worse is a crapshoot; but you are getting better leather/plastic/glass/tolerances/color matching than in a kia or a ford or whatever.
>>
File: Volkswagen-VW-Polo-GTI-2015.jpg (544 KB, 1715x1139) Image search: [Google]
Volkswagen-VW-Polo-GTI-2015.jpg
544 KB, 1715x1139
But I love my Polo GTI
>>
because it's like a german GM
>>
>>14725713
>They put more into their cars than other brands do
Then explain diesel-gate

Actually don't because you already sound like a complete idiot.
>>
>>14725729
besides, you know, having critical defects that kill their drivers in the hundreds
>>
File: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.png (2 MB, 1230x881) Image search: [Google]
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.png
2 MB, 1230x881
>>14725738
Every VW with AdBlue refutes your argument. The ones that didn't have it were a measure to lower consumer cost and don't make the vehicle any functionally worse. They actually perform better, and their environmental impact is a pittance compared to every straight piped truck or commercial sea liner burning bunker fuel.
>>
>>14725740
you just have stupid shit that breaks left and right that wouldn't break on a japanese car instead

i'd rather a mazda/ford for a cheap new fwd shitbox.
>>
>>14725738
how is dieselgate even related to anything i wrote you shit-gargling cumstain
>>
>>14725642
For all the "German Engineering", which is built in Mexico, the cars are generally notoriously unreliable in North America with both mechanical and electrical failure being common, even while under warranty.
>>
>>14725750

that's funny considering the 4.5+ every VW from this decade has on Edmunds and the fact that my 2013 ex-rental Golf with 65k miles has been problem free
>>
>>14725764
passat is built in the US and coincidentally actually has really good reliability ratings
>>
>>14725768
But the Passat is not their biggest seller. IIRC, their biggest sellers are the Golf, Jetta, and Tiguan.
>>
>mazda/ford
Stopped listening right there.
>>
>>14725738
what in the fuck are you on about, he presented a well-reasoned example
>>
>>14725653
VW interior is shit doe.
>>
>>14725764

literally no one makes the "german engineering" strawman argument you fags keep putting out, every VW owner is aware they're in an econobox
>>
>>14725793

not in my jetta TDI, but my golf rattles like a bitch
>>
>>14725794
>literally no one makes the "german engineering"
except Volkswagen themselves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Dx9MhrqcE
>>
>>14725810

are you really going to use TV ads to back this up? every auto manufacturer has made a nationalistically tinged advertisement at some point, from Chevy to Fiat to Nissan. Newsflash, marketing doesn't make logically sound points all the time.
>>
>>14725824
not to mention, if VW is worst at anything, its probably marketing
>>
how can you simultaneously over-engineer AND cut corners?

why make a complex thing as cheaply as possible?

why not make it easy to replace for when it inevitably fails? or make sure it doesn't fail if it's hard to replace?
>>
curious thing it's that sudacas get brazilian VW models (Gol, Saveiro) that have shitty specs and are built on obsolete platforms but are far more reliable an easier to fix and mantain than european "luxury" (yep, a Golf it's seen as a semi-luxury car here) models
>>
currently own a 2016 Jetta. It has no redeeming features other then the ability to get a manual. Most civics now are the god awful CVT transmission.
>>
>>14725981
>Most civics now are the god awful CVT transmission.
If you get the base model 2.0L models, you can have a 6 speed stick.
>>
>>14725671
>front plate jetta parking at my work all the time
>finally get a good look at the plate
>"euro trash"
>heartily chuckle
Good one
>>
>>14725981
I have a 13 gli. You fucked up this car is fun for how slow it is.
>>
>>14725713
This is true
>>
>>14725764
Nothing you said has been true for at least 6 years
>>
sportwagen Y/N
>>
>>14725839
They're actually famously great at marketing. Jesus christ why do i come to /o/? Everyone here is wrong about everything.
>>
>>14726047
Maybe in europe or some other irrelevant place. Their marketing in the US is absolutely abysmal and has been for years. They had one good commercial almost a decade ago.
>>
>>14725999
Why the fuck would you get that anemic 2.0L?
>>
If you go vw then go diesel
They are good
>>
>>14726038
The Jetta: Built in Puebla, Mexico
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Jetta#Sixth_generation_.28A6.2C_Typ_1B.3B_2011.E2.80.93present.29

So is the Golf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7

So is the Beetle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle_(A5)

>>14726064
>Honda K20 engine
>anemic
pick one. Sure it's not the high revving variant, but ~150 HP is still decent.
>>
>>14725642

VW in itself isn't that bad.

They make appliances and that's it.

Problem are the idiots that over rate them and the even more idiots that buy Audis thinking they're buyign something special while it's nothing more than an upmarketed VW.
>>
>>14725713

lolwut

You stupid?

VW uses exactly the same specs as any other competitor.

As if a company driven for profit would splurge out any chances of maximazing the jewing of stupid consumers.
>>
>>14726168

congratulations on the most ignorant shitpost of the day
>>
>>14726168
you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I don't know why you think you know what you're talking about, and I -really- don't know why you are so confident that you know what you're talking about that you would go on a forum just to be this wrong.

I mean, you're the opposite of right right now.

Cost cutting leads to use of similar technologies across brands but the specifications vary wildly. If you knew anything at all (which you don't) you would easily realize this.

Compare a focus's windshield to a golf's windshield on a cold morning. The focus might be covered in frost, while the golfs is relatively clear due to thicker and better glass on the VW.

Compare the firewall dampening on a GM to a VW. The VW is a composite solid piece formed to an exact shape, but molded of several materials. It's an expensive but very effective technology that is basically not used in the north american volume market outside of VW.

By contrast, a chrystler will have a big heavy high-heat resistant plastic shield with a plastic-fiber layer draped over it for sound absorption. Much cheaper. Not as effective.

You can make these comparisons across the car. From the cut of leather used, to the color matching technology. (spectrographs vs color chips, to color cycle allowances in injection machines)

I'm baffled why you would even post. I havn't even thought about working for VW in months until this thread came up, but you goobers are just so wrong about everything.
>>
>>14726260
>Compare a focus's windshield to a golf's windshield on a cold morning. The focus might be covered in frost, while the golfs is relatively clear due to thicker and better glass on the VW.

I own a 13 Golf and that's bullshit. It has the worst issues with frost and mist I have ever seen in a car. The defrost takes a very long time to make a difference, too.
>>
File: VW.jpg (155 KB, 964x485) Image search: [Google]
VW.jpg
155 KB, 964x485
I liked my B5 Passat, made in Germany (in the former Trabant factory), V6 had decent torque and speed, and handled decently. But it was a maintenance hog and it chewed through a lot of emissions stuff.

The NMS Passat was intended from the Get-go for U.S. and Chinese markets where a comfy shitbox is preferable to an autobahn-spec hauler.

Wish I could say my newer Audi A4 doesn't have those problems but it does...
>>
>>14725642
cuz theyre gay
>>
Borriiinngggggggg
>>
File: bae.jpg (362 KB, 1445x801) Image search: [Google]
bae.jpg
362 KB, 1445x801
>>14725642
Its a meme. I like mine personally. Its been a pretty reliable shitbox so far.
Some of the interiors on the newer models are a lot nicer than their japanese or american counterparts.
>>
>>14727059
>cc
>shitbox

it's like one level above a shitbox

like maybe a breadbox
>>
>>14725766

VW fanboys are by far the worst. iphones have millions of good reviews even though they constantly break and people need 5 replacements a week.

Problem free huh? I bet it's in the shop every 2 weeks for it's $5000 service. Anything will be problem free if you dump that much into it. 65k miles is also nothing for a "normal car" I guess it's a lot for a VW.
>>
>>14727656

>VW owner gives their opinion

>NUH UH U LYING
>>
>>14725642
>VW
>cheap
>reliable
literally wat
>>
>>14727656
You got trolled HARD LOL
I bet you believe Jesus was a real person.
>>
>>14725642

VW lives from it's name. they used to make decent cars in the 50s-80 but it went downhill from there imo. Owned three VAG products (because there are a lot of shops etc here in germany) and stuff like that and I have to admit that the Citroen I'm currently driving is way better. Each his own but to me the only thing that's premium about VWs are their prices and their design is boring, but I guess there are people out there who like this.
>>
>>14728996
Nobody thinks VWs are premium. I own a 2014 GTI. I have owned to Audis before. The difference is palpable. Night and day.
I had an old girlfriend that owned an early 80's Rabbit. Everything on that car broke except the engine, transmission, and brakes. Always ran...you couldn't kill it. Cheap to fix, VWs are ubiquitous worldwide.
Most of the shit about VWs are tall tales that get repeated until they have blood dripping from their fangs and have killed 1 million children.
>>
>>14725810
wtf abruzzi
>>
>>14725642
> Why doesn't /o/ like Volkswagens?
Because pigfat need a TAWOTA
>>
File: awe_8720-edit.jpg (221 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
awe_8720-edit.jpg
221 KB, 1280x852
Fuck, Sportwagen SE only available only with DSG.
>>
>>14729092

How many more time.
It's "sportswagon" because it's a fucking wagon and putting Sports infront of it should make it appealing to 40 year old blond-dyed hair soccermums and fathers who want to watch their wifes getting fucked by black men.

A Sportwagen is a car that's supposed to go fast and actually be sporty. A coupé, or roadster, not a fucking estate with a 1.2l Diesel engine making 120 PS.
>>
>>14725642
In EU you get more cred for driving a 25 year old B18 Civic than a 2016 Golf gti. Every 3rd car you see is a VW, they are also the rice platform of choice in Europe.
>>
>>14726260
>thicker and better glass on the VW.
Then why is my gf's Beetle's windshield delaminating after 60k miles?
>>
>>14725642

>not cheap
>not particularly reliable
>"premium" equates to soft dash plastics

In reality they are fairly bland cars and don't have much going for them besides the badge and perceived image. There are much better alternatives out there.
>>
>>14729727
>a sportwagen shouldn't be a wagon

so you're saying they shouldn't exist or what?
>>
People like me who aren't made of money basically see them as the closest to an Audi we'll ever get HA. Honestly though, just here for anyone to read I like Volkswagen because they kind of are (imo) as I said, like leas nice, less fast, but still slick audis. I mean... Same manufacturer too. I love their TDIs and the DSG transmissions. Quiet, smooth ride. Enough pep to enjoy driving it. AMAZING mpg. The DSG gearbox you cant even feel it shift and they shift quick and effortlessly too. Ive had some fun in jettas. Base 2.2L with 5 speed and no governers, TDI with a "sport" mode and slap stick. Idk VW is up there with some of my favorite cars I've driven.
>>
>>14729735
Cobalts are the rice platform of Ohio... Yeah it's awful. At least I see an SS that's not riced every so often. Oh and idk why but lots of riced Cavaliers too. I mean it's Ohio we are all trying to pretend we aren't poor.... Or maybe everyone thinks that by ricing cars they can outrun the crippling depression brought on by being poor, surrounded by heroin, crumbling cities and never seeing the sun. But idk
>>
>>14729795

Exactly. A Sportwagen is a fast car, agile, sporty looking.
The closest a wagon could come to a sportscar is the m5 or the CTS-V.
>>
>>14727656
>iPhones constantly break
as a previous iphonefag now with a g4, you're full of shit. they don't break all the time.
>>
>>14729833
A sportwagen is a sports wagon
You are literally wrong
>>
>>14729875

No, I'm not. You are mislead.
>>
>>14729915
No, I would be misled. Again, you are literally wrong.
>>
>>14729918

http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Sportwagen

Even the fucking Duden proofs that you are wrong.
>>
>>14725766

Every single forum i've looked at for the GTI appears to have people complaining about the water pump just failing for no reason around the 60k mark, to the extent that you should pretty much just anticipate it.

Normal cars don't need to worry about reliability or major parts until they are near the 100k mark. The fact you're claiming its been fine til 65k miles i think kind of makes the post you replied to semi-accurate. Sure the quality control is getting better for them as you say, but it just looks like the bar for reliability was set so low that even something semi-reliable looks way better to VW fans.
Don't get me wrong I like the cars themselves, but issues i've seen first hand have completely turned me off of that company, which sucks cause i really wouldn't mind a GTI or GLI.
>>
File: 20160222_154118.jpg (1 MB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20160222_154118.jpg
1 MB, 2240x1344
>>14729963
VW has extended the warranty on problem prone water pumps to 120k. I had one go bad on my CC and VW didn't blink in replacing it. The problem has been solved in later models, and VW did hella good job in stepping up. Every major auto manufacturer has problems on occasion. What they do to fix the problem is all I care about. I now drive a 2012 GTI, and couldn't be happier. The interior quality is in line with my brother-in-law's A7, and I rarely go a day without some stranger saying "nice car"...If you like the GTI or the GLI get one. Fuck all the autists on /o/.
>>
>>14729875
"sportwagen" is german for "sports car".
"sportswagon" is a goofy portmonteau created for marketing.
These two look and may sound similar, but the first only has a meaning in German speaking countries, while the latter is only used in the anglosphere. Despite the resemblance, they are barely related, and certainly are not the same thing.

I'm not going to deride you for not speaking German (particularly fairly niche-terms), but you are still wrong, and making an ass of yourself.
>>
>>14730100
This comment made me lose the ability to even...
>>
>>14725642

Most of /o/ is based in teh US, where Volkswagens are manufactured in Mexico and aren't as bulletproof as they are in Europe.
>>
>>14725748
This.
>>
>>14730134

Tbh they are far from bulletproof in europe too
>>
>>14730115
To even tell apart actual words from marketing mumbo-jumbo? Nigga get real.
>>
>>14730046
i refrain more because my brother had a bad time with his jetta before he got rid of it. random electrical problem in one of the computers basically made the car immobilized, had to drop a lot of money to get a specialized part from germany for the fix. all was good after, then a few months later another catastrophic fuck-up related to the clutch that the dealership replaced right before. he didn't even get the issue fully diag'd, just nope'd and got rid of it.

This is also a guy who babies his vehicles and has seen his fair share of shit over the years. a little demoralizing looking at those repair bills. :\
>>
>all inline 4, fwd, autotragic tranny

Also not "people's automobile" anymore. For a quite long time.
>>
>>14726168
>Your firsthand experiences are wrong because of the jews
Can't make this shit up
>>
>>14730195
Well, they aren't the largest passenger car manufacturer on the entire planet for no reason. Amerifats want to do no more than put gas in a car and change the oil once a year. If that's your goal, then, by all means, buy a Honda. I drove a '99 Acura TL for 250k, and the thing never let me down. That said, I am in love with my GTI, AND I can afford to maintain it...
>>
My 2010 Ibiza (stylish Polo basically) with the pittiful 3cyl 1.2 TDI had:
>Water pump malfunction 1 week after 2 year warranty
>Warped disc rotors (seriously underpowerd brakes)
>Occasional tire pressure misread (I'd just reset it)
>EGR failure
>Cam sensor failure
>Recall because of diesel-gate

Sold it for a 2.0 diesel with double the horsepower and the same MPG I shit you not.

Shame such a fun and great handling car was plagued by such shit engineering
>>
>>14725766
>65k problem free

dude, you're barely out of the break-in period for the average modern vehicle. Talking about 65k like it's some kind of damn achievement. Go drive your cheap German shitbox another 35k and then tell me what needed to be serviced at 100k because the shitboxes are pretty much designed to start falling apart between 65 and 100k.
>>
>>14730272
It's built in India. WTF did you expect?
>>
>>14730312
What car is not going to need some maintenance/new parts at 100k? Jesus /o/ is such a shit place to actually discuss cars.
>>
>>14730046
I'd rather have the mercedes in front.
>>
>>14730327

I expected a propper car not a fucking Tata.
>>
>>14726060
>purveyors of the most commercially successful vehicle ever
>abysmal

You are what's wrong with America.
>hurr I don't know anything about automotive history
>all I care about is Murka numbers, the rest of the world cin GIT FUCKT

seriously, your mother should have aborted you. We are living in an age of unprecedented global exchange, and yet you act as if anything that happens outside our borders doesn't matter. You're a moron.
>>
>>14729760
because nothing on a VW is designed to last more than 60k.

They're disposable toasters on wheels made for people who treat cars like toasters on wheels. Longevity was never part of the plan.
>>
>>14730351
It's a '99 and it's for sale...
>>
>>14730385
Then how can they claim more cars still on the road over 100k?
>>
>>14730342
It's not that cars don't need maintenance at 100k; it's the TYPE of things that need maintenance. Where else have you heard of needing a new windshield at 65k because the old one is delaminating? Nowhere. Who has serious problems with plastic water pump impellers disintegrating at 60k? VW. Who has bullshit electrical gremlins fucking always because they use shitty wiring insulation that's "biodegradable" (as if that's a GOOD THING for a vehicle lol)? VW.

Seriously, VWs are shit, and it's not "oh, you need a coolant refresh at 50k", it's "well, better replace the entire cooling system at 65k because all the plastic pieces fall apart since they're built by the lowest bidder and sourced from recycled materials because marketing."

Seriously, assblasted VW fangays are the worst, and they deserve the shitboxes they drive.

Enjoy your wanna-be BMW.
>>
>>14730414
more cars than what? Cite your source.
>>
>>14730420
I've literally had no problems with my CC at 61K
My dad has had no problems with his 2.5 jetta at 98
My mom has only replaced the auxillary fans on her b6 passat at 130k
>>
>>14730199
>cheap
>economical
>safe
>easy to use
>trasnportation
it is the embodiment of the people's car
remember, "the people's" tastes change through the years
>>
>>14730420
As an owner who did have the water pump replaced, I can assure that there is no such thing as "plastic water pump impellers" in any VW. This statement alone makes it obvious that you don't know shit about VW's, or any other car, for that matter, and are simply regurgitation shit you've read on /o/. I'm on to you, nigga.
>>
>>14730504

By your definition, euro Kia is a way better choice. Actually cheap, save without the useless shit like, goes from a to b, comes with 7 years guarantee, and still look better than the boring VWs imo.
>>
>>14730523
The people's tastes are not those. It's simple, look at what's selling. Crossovers everywhere. Why? People like to feel safe. They all come with 50 airbags and 3 different kinds of automatic braking. They're designed for a market full of people who don't care about cars, they just want something comfortable to move in.
A kia has the stigma of being a shitty korean car. No one loves kias. Some people love VWs, some people love Hondas, some people love toyotas, but no one loves kias for the same reason no one loves hyundais. They're built to a lower standard. Even now that hyundai has stepped up their game in interiors, it's still noticeable. The plastics feel cheap, the seats are scratchy, they rattle. People notice these things.
>>
File: durethan water pump at 40k.jpg (77 KB, 720x431) Image search: [Google]
durethan water pump at 40k.jpg
77 KB, 720x431
>>14730517
You're retarded. Current VAG vehicles use PPS thermoplastics across various model lines and brands, VW included. They used to use durethan, but that shit fell apart at ~40k miles, causing catastrophic failure of the cooling system (pic related).

>muh anecdotal evidence

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't mean shit, and flies directly in the face of the water pump impeller recall VW was forced to make about 4 years ago. Research at least a modicum of your position before you go spewing your written diarrhea all over the internet.
>>
>>14725810
Is Pope Francis working for VW?
>>
>>14726420
This is what ultimately happens in these discussions. Anecdote after anecdote. I own a 2013 mk6 golf as well and have never had issues with the windshield. Until someone brings in actual tests and reviews by reputable sources then we all sound like morons.

And no, I'm not a delusional VW owner. It's a grocery getter but it least it feels a cut above in terms of materials.
>>
>>14727656
Are you kidding me? Androids are notorious for being buggy dogshit.

iPhones will do exactly what you need them to do for longer than you'd have to wait to get an upgrade
>>
>>14729016
>1 million

It's actually 6 trillion goy
>>
>>14730420
>Who has bullshit electrical gremlins fucking always because they use shitty wiring insulation that's "biodegradable" (as if that's a GOOD THING for a vehicle lol)? VW.
lol did VW pull a 90s Benz?
holy shit
>>
>>14730327
>It's built in India
[citation needed]
>>
>>14730115
As an English speaker, what he explained made perfect sense.

Sportswagen means a different thing in German than Sports Wagon means in Enhlish.
>>
>>14726093
150 ho from a K20 is a slap in the face. Hell, the D16s made 140-150 depending on revision. A damn B16 can hit 180hp in factory spec.
>>
File: 1458517736579.png (67 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458517736579.png
67 KB, 500x500
>>14725642
I use to own a 03 golf and now drive a 16 golf, vw is awesome and the golf is definitely the best econobox in its segment no question the only reason people hate on vw is muh reliability
>>
>>14730619
Those hp numbers in the D and B series were always high performing models not every day BASE models
90% of D16's never made more than 115 HP.
150 HP from a K20 is perfectly fine.
>but this rare special variant made such and such HP
and how easy is that to get ahold of? One special snowflake doesn't make them a good powerful engine.

There's still the high output 200+ HP N/A K20 or K24 Civic Si coming, and then the turbocharged 300+ HP K20 Type R coming.
>150 hp from a K20 is a slap in the face
No it isn't you fucking retard.
>>
>>14730604
That would make sense IF the Sportwagen was advertised as a Sport Wagon in the US. It's not, so it doesn't.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=VW+Sportwagen
>>
>>14730574
as someone who works for a retail store that services these phones. we see iphones come in with cracked screens, ruined batteries and bricked phones from IOS pretty much on a daily basis. obviously the cracked screen isn't more-so the design fault (to a degree at least), but they have had notoriously bad batteries since the original iphone.
plus you need to have an agreement with apple exlusively to create apps for them and they still got a huge breach that wasn't even noticed for like 3 months. iphones are pretty shit dude.

>posted from my mac
>>
>>14730414
wasn't a claim like that made by subaru?
>>
>>14729833
This is the definition of stop liking things I don't like.
>>
>>14730778
I think that it was 96 percent of all Subaru cars built in the last 12 years are still on the road today
>>
>>14725642
Engines are as puzzling as rubix cubes.
Annoying things where they shouldn't be.
>>
>>14732314

???

Explain yourself.
>>
File: IMAG0274.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0274.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>14725723
That is beautiful
>>
>>14730046
You're my hero

>so much this
>>
>>14726043
Y
>>
>>14726420
Agrees, I have a "10 Golf and feel the same
>>
>>14725642

Love my Mk7 GTI... well, except for the occasional rattles ;)

Apparently so did a lot of others
>2015 North American Car of the Year
>Motor Trend 2015 Car of the Year
>Yahoo Autos Car of the Year 2015
>2015 Car & Driver 10 Best (9th year in a row)
>Car & Driver Best in Class Sport Compact
>Automobile Magazine 2015 All-Star
>Autoweek Best of the Best / Car 2015
>Road & Track Performance Car of the Year Finalist
>AutoGuide.com Car of the Year nominee
>Detroit Free Press Car of the Year Runner Up

On a road like this, you need something small. You need a hot hatch back... and if you're gonna get a hot hatch back, why not get the king? This one. The Golf GTI.
I loved the Mark I and the 16 valve Mark II wasn't bad either. But since then, I mean they weren't bad but the magic went missing. With this one though, the Mark VII, it. is. back!
This car can do everything. It's well made. It's sensibly priced. It's economical. It's well equipped. It seats five. It's got a big boot. But strip all that away and underneath, it's DNA is hot hatchery.
2 liter turbo engine, 220 horse power, and no torque steer... It's just astonishing. Woah, God this is good.

-Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear

Owning anything after the GTI is all diminishing returns, my friend.

Ezra Dyer, Car and Driver
>>
>>14733543

but ignore all those and listen to the anon "experts" on /o/...
>>
>>14730479
This
>>
>>14725642
>Premium

I like VW, but this shit is their biggest problem right now, especially in the American market. They're caught in a sort of identity crisis. They're hard-pressed to compete with Japanese or even American cars on price, and other German marques show them up on look/feel and interior quality. Worse yet, Audi seems to be reaching further and further down-market, treading on VW's turf.

I think it would serve VW better to stick to simpler, well-engineered, practical but affordable vehicles, and leave the "premium" shit to Audi. (And yes, I'm aware this would push a lot of the woman-dominated new car market over to Audi.) Build a GTI that's true to the original- quick and spartan, not plushy and overpriced.

With Audi offering up its own rebadged golf/jetta (A3), the VW badge hardly has a reason to exist in the US anymore.
>>
>>14733543
THIS
>>
File: 0_022.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
0_022.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14725708
>they're not reliable
>>
>>14733657
Beetles weren't all that reliable, they were just cheap and plentiful.
>>
>>14733657
>design stolen from Tatra
>>
>>14725642
They destroyed brands and all brands under the VAG are the same shit with different badges. This is a horrible practice and any car company that does it should be broken up. We need more smaller manufacturers that all have new innovative ideas.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.