[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why shouldn't I buy Volvo 240 for dd?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Tell me why shouldn't I buy Volvo 240 for dd?
>>
>>14724546

old, requires a lot of maintenance to run well, probably hasn't been maintained properly,

Overall they're decent cars but don't fall for the meme. They take work.
>>
>>14724546

because you don't live in Portland or Austin and you're smarter than taking on the repairs when you could buy something reliable for the same price
>>
>>14724546
Because you should buy a 740 turbo.
But really, no, I'm not gonna tell you not to, that would be silly and contrarian.
>>
>>14724580
>requires a lot of maintenance to run well
Quit talking out of your ass, dumbshit
>>
old, slow, not being faggot hipster shit
>>
>>14724634

You're telling me a 240 with probably 300,000 miles on it that was last serviced who knows when isn't going to need new everything?

It's bullshit. They require maintenance like any other car. The reason people think they are magic meme machines is because they'll still run relatively well even with half of it on the edge of exploding.

Every time I see a 240 for sale it's someone who treated it like an absolute shitbox. The people who enjoy these cars and take care of them rarely are the ones selling them.
>>
>>14724652
>You're telling me a 240 with probably 300,000 miles on it that was last serviced who knows when isn't going to need new everything?
Wow, making lots of presumptions there, m8

Having owned SEVERAL of them, I can tell you that they are less maintenance intensive than most cars 20 years newer and are very reliable and cheap to repair.

It's your fault that you only look at shitty cars, not an indication of the car's quality. Try setting your price limit higher than $500 on craigslist, you dope.
>>
>>14724672

But my allowance is only 100$ a month anon :(
>>
>>14724546
-slow
-old as balls, you'd have to pay out your ass to find one mint
-slow
-objectively ugly stock (couple mods and they can look pretty gangster)
-slow as shit
-everyone will think you're an old man or a hipster
-parts aren't always cheap
-parts usually aren't readily available (unless you live in the PNW)
-did i mention slow? yeah, they're really fucking slow. dangerously slow. highway ride is noisy and gets old very quickly.
source: i daily a '90 sedan

honest opinion: they're solid daily drivers and nothing more (oh yea i guess they're good track cars too, with suspension stuff and the like)
avoid turbo and manuals for ultra reliability
>>
>>14725081
Bro. if you think your 90' is dangerously slow on the freeway, your overdrive must be busted or you need to clean your intake and crankcase ventilation system. My 88 is perfect on the freeway and keeps up with modern traffic with no problems
>>
>>14726238
Not this guy >>14725081
But I had a diesel with an auto, that thing was most definitely dangerously slow. To be expected though, it was more fun doing hektik skids at 15 km/h in the winter
>>
>>14724546
>>14724614
Having owned both, I can tell you the 740 is the better more modern car. 240s are simple but have a lot of small flaws fixed in the 740 design. Have either checked out, but generally are good below 200k mi without major issues.
>>
>>14727034
My 740 turbo was noticeably softer, wider and had larger tires. 240s are jalopys honestly brah.
>>
File: 1438183499499.jpg (41 KB, 530x354) Image search: [Google]
1438183499499.jpg
41 KB, 530x354
Don't be bitch, OP. Pic related.

Real talk, though, it's kind of overrated, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. It's a great car to drive, if a bit boring. It's easy to work on, parts are easy to get, and said parts are only a tiny bit more expensive than average, if at all. It IS slow, though, and really doesn't handle for shit. You can upgrade them pretty easily, iPd, RSI (R-Sport International), and Kaplhenke Racing are your best friends. Modding it gets expensive pretty quickly - it's not a Honda. But goddamn can it be a ton of fun.

If you want fun right out of the box, try to find a 240 Turbo. Failing that, get a 740 turbo. I've had two 740 Turbo wagons, best fucking cars I've ever owned. The first one got rekt on the highway by a semi, hit and run. It saved my life. Loved it so much I eventually bought a second one exactly like it.
>>
>>14724546
>seeking /o/'s approval on a vehicle choice

go away and think about what you've done
>>
>>14727480
Adding onto my own post, the 740 is superior to the 240 in a LOT of ways that are readily apparent. A couple other anons already covered it, though. Honestly, my old 740 would have hurt some egos if I didn't drive it like a bitch (still working on transferring all the goodies from the old one to the new one)...I was still getting good at spirited driving. It had a bigger turbo, tuned up a tad; modified intake with a bigger air meter from a different Volvo; later-style exhaust manifold ported out on both ends, with a full 3" exhaust; Bilstein HD shocks/struts, iPd's 25mm sway bars, and Yokohama S.drives (in the summer). It was a beast, and I wish I had a chance to take it to a track, or tear up some mountain roads in other states. It was an auto, but the manual gearboxes we got in the U.S. were garbage anyway. My new one (pictured) is getting all those parts, like I said, but a new exhaust as the old one was pretty janky, and iPd lowering springs that I got with the car. Might put in the Euro manual gearbox because the auto is pooched.
>>
>>14724686
better start working on those GBP's
>>
I dont understand Americans and the obsession over this shit car. It weighs 1400kgs fitted with the most anemic engine
>>
>>14727642
At least it weighs less than your mom.
>>
>>14727657
But it weighs the same as the average american

Americans are just weird about Volvos in general even though they are shit
>>
>>14724580
This.

They're awesome cars, and overall very reliable, but they have a temper.. Overall simple to work on, but maintenance was more expensive than my Lexus.

>Engine has perfect compression at 250,000 miles.
>Randomly stalls out, have to roll in throttle or engine dies.
>Shitty Bosch spark plug wires fail.
>Rains
>Stranded because engine dies, and won't restart.
>>
>>14727775
>overall very reliable
>stalls out
>>
>>14727814
Only sometimes :3
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.