[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about putting in an epoxy floor coating in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
I'm thinking about putting in an epoxy floor coating in my garage. I'd do it myself using a kit (because contractor prices, lol). Anyway, does anyone here have experience with these kits?
>>
Dudes at work use it all the time (construction site). They're all cooked so probably use a decent mask.
>>
>>14722214

> What can go wrong, right?
>>
>>14722592
Exactly why I'm asking. I've read reviews with people saying it pulls up and whatnot. Just doing my research.
>>
>>14722214
I've used this stuff once. It was a porch, not a garage, but the same kit.

Clean the surface really well. Steam clean or at least pressure wash. I even took a belt sander to a few places that had old, peeling sealant.

Once you mix in the hardener, you have a limited amount of time to work. You have to go fast. Seems to work best spread thick. I tried to stretch mine too far, and had some thin places that later started to pull up.

And I didn't use the plastic chips.
>>
File: 1437813795186.jpg (113 KB, 1024x809) Image search: [Google]
1437813795186.jpg
113 KB, 1024x809
>>14722214

Go to the garage journal forums and find out why that kit is shit tier. You can get a good product to DIY but it will cost more and will require prep if you do not want the epoxy flaking off the surface.

Do it once and do it right because cleaning a shit product off is expensive.
>>
>>14722214
I coated my floor with that crap.

I did everything to clean and etch the floor and it still peeled off in some spots.

Worst part, the floor is unbelievably slippery now. Even with the grip shit flaked in.

0/10 would not recommend.
>>
don't use the spackle shit that comes with. when you drop a bolt or nut your eye loses it in the pattern and makes finding shit hard as fuck.
>>
>>14728455
Use a flashlight parallel to the floor then.
>>
>>14728477
ounce of prevention bruh. just don't put it on in the first place.
>>
File: Flakes_Are_Cool.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1181) Image search: [Google]
Flakes_Are_Cool.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1181
>>14722214
I did it a few months ago. It came out really nice, pic related.

Don't use a cheap kit like that. And spend A LOT of time prepping the floor first.
>>
>>14723983
>And I didn't use the plastic chips.

But that's the best part faggot.
>>
>>14722214
what's wrong with concrete floor?
>>
>>14728514
I used a Norkan kit from http://www.originalcolorchips.com/

Clean your floor really well. Pressure wash, scrub with degreaser, pressure wash more. Buy a new roller to use for this, because you'll probably toss it when you're done. Wear spike shoes if you think you'll need to go back to some areas when spreading flakes. Pick warm days without much wind, because you don't want stuff blowing into your garage (which you'll need to prop open when doing the top coat). Also, wear a good mask if you have one for that part, because the fumes are pretty strong. Don't work too slow or it'll pull back up on the roller before you're done.
>>
>>14728550
You can't get a girlfriend with just a concrete floor.
>>
PREP PREP PREP PREP PREP

My neighbor did his with that stuff. He only pressure washed and spot cleaned. Within a year it was sticking to hot tires and peeling. Looks like shit now.

I have sealed concrete. I keep it clean, and re-apply sealer every few years. Looks as good as new.

YMMV, but like any coating operation, PREP is the most important step.
>>
Dad did this to his garage, fuck, probably 5-6 years ago at least. Came out looking great and still holding up to this day. Sadly no tips because I was like 16 at the time and didn't really pay attention when helping him.
>>
Enjoy your BPA
>>
>>14722774
It's all about the prep work and following the directions to a T

Don't be lazy or stupid
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.