[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electric Cars and Hybrids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1280x782
Can we have an actual thread about this without it turning into an anti-prius and anti-teslafag fuckfest?

There are some pretty nice ones out there these days, like the BMW i8, McLaren P1, and the Fisker Karma.
>>
File: clown shoe.jpg (19 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
clown shoe.jpg
19 KB, 320x320
>>14718187
Why must they all look faggy?

>i8 shitting a Porsche
>karma shaped like a low top clown shoe [pic related]
>prius is an angry bar of soap
>P1's rear end looks like a child drew it
>>
The Fisker Karma is noticably unfinished though. Glaring design and manufacturing faults in detail. Literally a concept car brought into production. Small interior space, questionable build quality, the petrol engine exhaust is placed right behind the front left wheel so you're getting gassed by your own car as you stand at a red light with the window down.
>>
>>14718235
Yeah it's fucking beautiful but notoriously unreliable and legit catches fire
>>
>nice ones
>i8
Gets pathetic fuel economy
>P1
Has pathetic battery-only range
>Karma
Doesn't work

>Pleb shit like prius, leaf, etc
Pointless fashion accesories
>Camry Hybrid, lexus hybrid shit
They're normal cars that use less fuel
>Telsa
The only electric only cars that actually work right now
>>
>>14718187
electric cars are trash and we discussed a million times why. as long as they can't improve the energy density of their batteries while making them lighter at the same time electric cars wont have a future. and I don't see such an improvement anytime soon. now hydrogen is another story, but anything involving over 1000 lbs of batteries wont become the car of the future.
>>
>>14718296
That's because you're a blind-ass nigga that doesn't know lithium sulfur batteries are going into production literally right now.
>>
>>14718187
>fisker
>driving something that weighs as much as an f150
>>
>>14718310
wierd, the solid state physics professor I'm working with told me they're not even getting close to the theoretical energy density. and even if they achieved the theoreitcal energy density the batteries would still be heavy as fuck. tesla can shill all they want, powering a car with an on-board battery is a stupid idea compared to any idea involving some sort of fuel.
>>
>>14718359
That's because they're not close to their theoretical, but they're still twice the energy per weight of lithium ion.

Fuel cells are the stupid idea, electric battery cars use existing infrastructure meanwhile hydrogen would require massive changes to the entire planet and is incredibly dangerous to store.
Hydrogen is in no way the answer when with lithium sulfur batteries a Model S with no weight gain, using proper custom designed cells rather than little AA sized things, could easily achieve 1200km of range.
If you need any more than that, you're fucking weird, get on a $39 flight.
>>
Miata EV best EV
>>
>>14718296
How about a car that has enough batteries to get a 100 mile range in EV mode and a small gasoline engine to generate electricity when the batteries have too low power?

That's the system they have on the Volt and the i8 I think.
>>
>>14718466
The backup gas engine powered the electric motor and it's inefficient as fuck. The leaf and other ev only cars get almost 100 miles.
>>
>>14718209
Confirmed for never seeing a Karma irl.

>>14718187
>Karma
>nice hybrid
Not with that drivetrain it isn't. I'd love it if it had Tesla running gear, or an LS + T56.
>>
>>14718187
>fisker karma
>nice
it's disappointing in all ways, automotive garbage
>>
>>14718235
Small interior space isn't a manufacturing fault though. It's clesrly designed that way, as a four door grand tourer.
>>
>>14718279
>P1
>EV battery range being relevant
Pick one.
>>
>>14718391
Her handling and balance; ruined.
>>
>>14718640
Except miats are front heavy anyway, assuming it's got some more batts in the front along with the motor that probably is closer to 50/50 than the factory.

Probably not that much heavier than when it had the iron block and a full tank, either.
>>
>>14718668
>6500 lb Miat
>Good handling

Choose one and only one my friend.
>>
>>14718668
>implying Miatas are front heavy and not 50/50
>implying 50/50 is good anyways

>implying right behind the rear axle isn't the worst place to put engines and batteries
>>
>>14718668
Spreading the weight between the engine bay and trunk would massively decentralise it, and ruin he handling.
>>
>>14718679
You ever weighed an internal combustion engine, gearbox and fuel system?
An electric motor and some batteries would add maybe 200lbs.

>>14718695
50/50 is good, nigger. It's like you're one of those faggots who support uneven weight distribution and staggered tyres.
50/50 and equal width all round master race

Also the electric motor would be in the front.

>>14718698
Nah it wouldn't ruin shit, it just wouldn't handle as well.

Not everyone is autismal enough to strip the interior and ensure all the weight is between the wheels. You're probably the type of person that gets mad when somebody adds 10kg of insulating sound deadening to the interior making it massively nicer to drive
>>
>>14718736
Why do F1 cars not have 50-50 weight distribution and equal size tires if they're master race
>>
>>14718736
I'd love to see an electric motor amd battery set with 100hp and 100 miles of range - and that's pretty low standards compared to ICE.

It's like you're one of those faggots who denies physics of an accelerating RWD car.
http://automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/

Not that guy, but centralising mass should be your priority if you're added several hundreds of pounds of batteries to a vehicle.
>>
File: peugeot-308R-HYbrid.jpg (185 KB, 1050x700) Image search: [Google]
peugeot-308R-HYbrid.jpg
185 KB, 1050x700
The 308r hybrid was pretty exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJE3MN06USk

And of course, like every exciting French car, it never went into production...
>>
>>14718279
What about the new nsx ?
>>
>>14718912
Very heavy.
>>
best application is in big beefy muscle cars, since the batteries are still really heavy

but dat hybrid power tho
>>
File: zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg (263 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg
263 KB, 960x640
>all electrics are boring shitboxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ
>>
File: tesla-batteries.jpg (32 KB, 770x516) Image search: [Google]
tesla-batteries.jpg
32 KB, 770x516
>>14718187>>14718359
>>14718389
ANNND that shit will be patented so you will have to pay out the ASS to use them.
OR
NiMH battery patent was purchased from Ovonics by General Motors in 94, then sold to Texaco and a week later to Chevron.

Then, Chevron sued Panasonic for making the EV-95 NiMH Battery and Toyota for using it in the RAV4 EV, in the amount of $30 million – and won. Production of the EV-95 NiMH battery stopped and consequently the RAV4 EV. The RA4 EV is running today with the original batteries, many of them have over 100,000 miles.

Chevron has effectively blocked the use of NiMH batteries by start-up EV manufacturers and has the ability to keep doing so until 2014 when the patents expire.

And now the question: when it's the expiration date and the patent becomes available for free to all carmakers?
>>
>>14718736
>50/50 master race

If 50/50 is absolutely optimal, then explain how the DeltaWing is as fast as it is these days. Unreliability aside, the thing can fairly easily keep up with the crowd, using half the power and weight and a significantly narrower front track and teensy front tires.

(Here's the answer if you're lazy: It's got a 75/25 distro and the entire car was designed around that. It can pivot just like the rest because the front wheels don't need to be big because they aren't turning much weight.)
>>
>>14721432
TWO MILES OF RANGE
>>
>>14723098
50, actually, even when you're beating on it. still, it shows what kind of monster power you can get out of electric motors, batteries just need to catch up
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.