[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the new GTIs really that bad or is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: VW-Golf-GTI-Clubsport-0.jpg (129 KB, 750x406) Image search: [Google]
VW-Golf-GTI-Clubsport-0.jpg
129 KB, 750x406
Are the new GTIs really that bad or is it just a meme?
>>
>>14716725

About as heavy as a V6 Mustang. Do not attempt to push this
>>
>>14716725
they look nice but low power for the price tag
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (290 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
290 KB, 1600x1200
>>14716736
>Mustang - 3526lbs
>Golf GTI - 3031lbs
absolute falsehood
>>
>>14716725
3000 lb car, ~220 hp, fwd, poor gearing that makes it feel slower than its already abysmal power to weight ratio
>>
>>14716725
They're pretty good to drive till things go wrong
>>
If you remade this thread in 8 hours you would get a different answer
>>
>>14716725
your mom is a meme but someone dropped loads in her and you came out
>>
>>14716725
just a meme. and /o/ is full of meme kiddos.
>>
>>14716938
>abysmal power to weight ratio
>3000 lb car, ~220 hp
>abysmal
yup
>>
>>14717119
I'm not interested in any car that makes under 100hp per 1000 lbs

Just my personal definition of pigfat
>>
>>14717126
Wow that's.....most cars.

Damn nigga, you're missing out on some beautiful classic rides, etc.
>>
>>14717140
I should clarify, I don't mind classics being underpowered, or the typical "tuner" cars that regularly make more power than they were manufactured with.

I kinda draw the line at underpowered new cars if that makes sense
>>
>>14717179
So for instance something like a modern hot hatch (eg fiesta st) and most of the lower tiers of luxury brands are out of the question?

I can follow that thought process, just wondering what makes you feel that way. I can usually find something I like about most cars, though it's not always something to do with the driving experience, if you.....get my drift :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 417x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 417x515
>>14717240
Personally as long as it's close to 300 on a ~3000 lb car it's fine, but nearly 100 hp off is too much

I've driven cars that are below that ratio and they feel like they don't have the throttle response that I want, I guess I just value speed over luxury idk
>>
>>14717029
Probably should. To many euro-cucks
>>
>>14716725
It's a pretty nice car. Not the fastest hatch you can get for the money, but one of the best if you want something that's decently quick and decently comfy and decently practical.

Since /o/ values the hp/$ ratio as the most important characteristic of anything sporty, the Golf doesn't fare too well here.

>>14717119
>>14717140
>>14717240
You are talking to a 16 year old American sperglord. Just fyi.You can talk to the adult Americans once they're home from work.
>>
>>14717269
Cool, thanks for explaining and have a sexy day amigo
>>
>>14717292
24 yr American sperglord getting paid to shitpost at work, nice try tho senpai
>>
>>14717269
>Power to weight affecting throttle response
faggot
>>
>>14717326
Power to weight affects acceleration, which I consider to be part of a throttle being responsive

Suck it busrider <3
>>
>>14717292
What is a faster hatch that can be had for the same amount of money. I'm looking into buying a GTI but I want to know my options.
>>
>>14716725
It's just a meme from jelly poorfags.
>>
>>14717339
That doesn't make you right, just retarded.
>>
>GTI
>bad

nice bait thread

sage'd
>>
>>14717126
>t. nocar kid
>>
>>14717396
race me fgt
>>
>>14717363
If ur yurop (ype r megane RS, leon cupra
America cumstain or cuckmaro or maybe a WRX?
>>
>>14716725
It's still a great car, just a bit lifeless. Even the non-sporty versions of the Focus and Mazda3 give you more feedback through the steering wheel.
>>
>>14717363
Focus RS
>>
>>14717427
Oh yeah, it's like sitting in a cocoon. Cool if you're stuck in traffic or on long journeys, but no classic sportscar feels. It's a Golf.
>>
>>14717363
focus st
>>
>>14717457
The ST is not faster than the GTI.
That said, it is infinitely more fun and you should buy one over the GTI anyway.
>>
>>14717449
>Focus ST
Easily 10k€ more expensive than a GTI in yuroland. More expensive than a Golf R, for that matter.
I think you mean the ST?
>>
Focus ST is tuned to be more of an enthusiast car, the GTI is more for the average driver.

If you want a couple track days, enjoy the feel of a road, and want something toss able, get the Focus ST.

If you just want a fun commuter, get the GTI.

I've driven both extensively and can tell you the GTI is a lot more forgiving for the average driver while the Focus ST takes a little bit more concentration. I recommend that you test drive both and go for what suits your needs.

That being said, the 5 year cost to own for a Fcous ST is dramatically lower than e 5 year cost to own for a GTI. When the GTI breaks, and it will, it will break hard and cost you more than you wanted to spend.
>>
File: UntitledPP.png (228 KB, 931x429) Image search: [Google]
UntitledPP.png
228 KB, 931x429
>>14717491
In the US the RS is $36k compared to $25-33K for the Golf

The Clubsport in the OP is 36k€
>>
>>14716725
After working at a vw dealership for quite some time. I know they often come in for coolant issues. Other than that they seems decently reliable. However, I've driven a bunch of them. They handle great and are really fun to drive. Go test drive one and see for yourself.
>>
why does /o/ hate VWs
>>
>>14717673
because overpriced, unreliable, "muh german engineering"
the cancerous fanbase doesn't help
>>
>>14717673
Because they're mostly Mexican shitcans that are only liked by Car and Driver shills who still think their word has weight, as if it's 2005 again.
>>
>>14717570
So a difference somewhere between $3k and $11k - the interesting bit would be to find out what the difference is between comparable trims. Or failing that, the difference between a base GTI with performance pack and a base ST - should still be pretty big.
You can spec up any VW with ridiculous amounts of shit you don't need and which aren't available on a Focus for the most part, but I don't think that should be a factor when comparing the prices of base models, particularly if they are decently equipped, like in the case of the GTI and ST.

>clubsport
Checked prices for those and they literally cost as much as a base R. I can't even.
>>
>>14717728
Meant RS not ST, though that is also an interesting comparison.
>>
>>14717306
>a 24yr old getting mistaken for 16
pretty embarrassing unless you're female
>>
>>14716725
I'm happy with my GTI. Golf's are just peppy little hatchbacks that are fun to drive. I wouldn't really consider them serious sports cars. Some people like them and some don't. You know, like every other car out there. I hear good things about the Focus ST but I never drove one personally.
>>
>>14717673
They like to talk about hektic skidz in their 130hp rwd corollas and n/a rx7's
>>
File: meme.jpg (94 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
94 KB, 480x640
>>14716725

MeeM's are GOOD what the FUCK are you talking about?
>>
>>14717673
To be fair, I own a vw and hate most vw owners.
I hope they all hit potholes in their slammed golfs and their oil pans get ripped open.
>>
>>14719607
I had a near mint third gen GTi Golf which I loved but decided to get rid of it because of the fanbase. Especially here in Finland they're so deep down the rabbit hole, not going to excuse the pun, that no matter what they hail the GTI Golf as the greatest hot hatch ever even if they are all driving with their CEL's on and rattling rear suspensions.
>>
>>14719638
I feel your pain.
>>
>>14719688
Although, it beats having to be associated with honda enthusiasts.
>muh vtec
>muh n/a 100hp per liter
>>
>>14716725
I have a fifth gen GTI, very similar. I like it. Lacks the haldex diff of the newer models so it's slower, gets more wheel spin in tight corners due to the open diff. Seems like it feels a bit more hot hatch-y to people though. It's not a track menace, but it is a very capable daily driver.

I think people just have the wrong expectations on what this car is. Anything you hate about it can be modded away like anything else, it's just a matter of if it's a good starting point for what you want it to end up as.

If you intend to leave it completely stock I might look elsewhere.
>>
>>14719809
Fanboys blow it up into something it isn't and it develops a stereotype of all vw owners, It's just a quick little front wheel drive hatchback with suspension tighter than your average grocery getter/work commuter.
>>
>>14716725
They're pretty good for what they are. Benchracing hatchbacks in general is pretty retarded though.
They're just practical cars that aren't absolutely terrible to drive. Anyone who likes cars or isn't poor wouldn't have one as their only car.
I've got a mk6 GTI that I love driving when I need to haul my dog, get good gas mileage, or fit something big in the back. For everything else I have a 600HP CTS-V.
>>
>>14719769
Well that's true. Especially the sideways Obey cap EG6 drivers.
>>
>>14716725
What the fuck are those wheels.
>>
>>14717339
>Skewing the definition of something to fit your own agenda

>The time it takes to reach a certain speed under WOT is now considered throttle response

Damn okay.
>>
Thats not a very fair comparison.
>My CTS-V is nice for going to work or the store but it doesn't really have the pickup that my McLaren does
>>
>>14722932
If it really has 600hp it probably does pick up like a mclaren.
>>
>>14722980
I'm pointing out the bias of comparing a 20 thousand dollar peppy grocery getter to an 80 thousand dollar luxury sport vehicle.
>>
>>14722932
All I was saying is that GTIs are really nice, but it's stupid to argue about power to weight ratios in what is essentially a slightly fast and comfy grocery getter.
>>
>>14723445
Agreed
>>
besides always being number 1 or 2 on top cars of the year for just about every blog/site/car mag, id say its a good car.

ive driven the new one, its absolutely fantastic, it does not feel fwd, the handling is so good, the construction and quality of the car is amazing for its price.

i would buy one over the ST which is similarly priced (25k-30k) the ST is good but it feels like a ford and isnt as comfy/luxurious as the GTI which does everything the ST does but better.

cons: reliability is so-so, even buying new sometimes you will get little gremlins that require going back to the dealership
>>
>>14724252

You can get lucky too. I've got a 13 GTI sitting on 62k miles with regular maintenance and it hasn't had a single problem.
>>
>>14724601
Most of the people who bitch about them being unreliable are the ones that buy used ones with high milage off kids who never took care of them.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.