[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do dealers always put ridiculous prices on older used cars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: WTF.jpg (178 KB, 965x718) Image search: [Google]
WTF.jpg
178 KB, 965x718
Why do dealers always put ridiculous prices on older used cars?
>>
Because people will pay it
>>
>>14714804
because fuck you
>>
Because there's a chance a retard will buy it. There are people that exclusively buy only from dealers. They think the cars are in better condition and less legal issues so they don't even consider private sale prices.
>>
>>14714811

Because it's a dealer? I don't see private sellers ever pulling it off.
>>
>>14714804

Same reason they charge you 600$ for "signing fees".
>>
>>14714818
People will pay a dealer more because muh certified pre owned guarantee
>>
>>14714811
>>14714817
This. They fish high because they always no there is an outside chance someone will bite

>>14714818
You see the same shit with private sellers as well. My local CL has at least 4 or 5 different older cars that I have seen reposted for more than a year now, with the seller still asking hillarioulsy high prices

>fucker has been asking 15K for an RX-7 for over a year
>>
>>14714887

How hard could one haggle on something like this?
>>
>>14714887
>You see the same shit with private sellers as well. My local CL has at least 4 or 5 different older cars that I have seen reposted for more than a year now, with the seller still asking hillarioulsy high prices

But they never sell though. Eventually they give up and drop the prices down.
>>
>>14714861
>what is a warranty
come on
>>
>>14714902
Depends entirely on how much of a stick that dealership has up their ass about the car

Your biggest ally would be that the NADA/Black Book Value on that car is like 4K tops, so no bank ANYWHERE is going to loan you 10K for it. If a price is so astronomically above book value that a bank won't finance it, that's something you can actually hit the dealership over the head with

>>14714903
Some don't. Like I said, I've seen at least 5 cars in my local CL that have been listed on and off for over a year and full retarded prices. some of these people never get the hint. Some do drop the price, eventually, but others finally just mumble "I know what I got" and let the car rot away in their driveway
>>
>>14714914

What about offering slight above KBB in cash? Is it true they'd rather have customers pay cash than finance? Or is that a myth?
>>
>>14714940
>Is it true they'd rather have customers pay cash than finance? Or is that a myth?
Myth. Dealerships (I am talking medium to large established dealerships, not small mom and pop joints) WANT you to finance, because they stand to make much more money. They would rather avoid a cash deal if at all possible
>>
>>14714956

Interesting.
>>
File: CE65CFXUkAE4t9X.jpg (19 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
CE65CFXUkAE4t9X.jpg
19 KB, 575x323
TFW I live in MN
Tfw I work for said automotive group.....
>>
>>14715091

kill yourself.
>>
>>14714887
15k isn't high for a nice FD
>>
>>14714817
This.

Local dealers here in aus add like 150% and ill drive by there a couple of weeks later and boom new cars on the lot so retards do actually buy them usually with finance
>>
>>14714804
I mean, if that was a turbo, in perfect conditon....

I could see.. $7k?
>>
>>14714956
I thought that the banks made all the money from a finance? From what I've read, they get the money for the car and then the bank gets all the interest etc
>>
>>14714804
I don't think it's expensive. What if it's your dream car, and you find this in perfect condition, then it's suddenly not so expensive.
>>
>>14714887
>NO LOW-BALLERS

>I KNOW WHAT I GOT
>>
>>14714887
I saw a 2013 Impreza wrx hatchback for $54,000 on cl
>>
>>14715288
That's a big "what if," especially in the Midwest where most folks don't give a shit about nip cars and even fewer have any idea what an MR2 is
And in that already tiny demographic, which probably consists mostly of autistic NEETs, you're looking for one passionate dumbass for whom money is not at all an issue. Good luck.
>>
>>14714887
I find it endlessly satisfying to go on kijiji and see some of the same ads I saw when I first when on the site years ago still being posted, at the same fucking price
The best was a mid-late 70's Gran Torino sedan in okay-ish condition, poorly painted to resemble the General Lee, that the guy wanted 10K for or something fucking retarded like that
>>
>>14715187

I know right?

it's NA, 3 previous owners.

Doesn't look like thee's any rust in it, but there's a tear in the front seat.

Wouldn't call it "perfect" either
>>
I paid $3k for a low miles '96 Miata from a dealer, almost perfect condition. Only issue was a paint chip on the hood, and hla tick (which actually went away with synthetic oil). I've had it for almost two years now, only normal maintenance.

Helps if you don't go to a buy-here-pay-here piece of shit. The dealer I purchased from didn't even offer financing, you had to do your own if you used it.
>>
>>14715538
lol
>>
>>14714804
Dealership mech here
Because we have a shop,
building, gas, water, electricity, the very space the car takes up in the lot costs money.
also: we arent looking to get rid of the car to get a new one, we are looking for a big profit so the manager doesnt chew the salesdude's head off.
>>
File: Capture.png (563 KB, 1523x666) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
563 KB, 1523x666
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-1-6-T-Bar-Mk1-Red-stunning-car-9995-/201546337821?hash=item2eed190e1d:g:X3sAAOSwyjBW5vTQ

What the fuck are these people thinking? It's priced at least 7 grand too high.
>>
File: 1392432721451.jpg (46 KB, 737x758) Image search: [Google]
1392432721451.jpg
46 KB, 737x758
>>14717008

>GBP

god dammit. What is that in American?
>>
>>14717025
about tree fity
>>
>>14714804
Because they were dumb enough to buy it at too high of a price on trade in and need to make their money back
>>
>>14715124
Or they be just moved them to auction....
Or dropped the price significantly.

The dealer wanted 6.5k for the 06 GTI I bought, when it had 139k miles. I offered them 4k and got it for 4.5 after pulling the card as and Edmunds shit on them
>>
Honestly I find better deals on both New and old cars from dealers than I do on craigslist. It's craiglist fags that think their old shitboxes should be sold for MSRP
>>
>>14717008
I'm sure small dealers are just fronts, there's one near me, a tiny one, holds about six cars, which opens then closes down and reopens with a different name every few months.
>>
>>14715187
Turbo sw20s are getting expensive, which sucks because I really like those cars

I've seen three different people ask $10k for their turbo sw20s on CL, one guy was even asking like $12k
>>
>>14717046
Depends on the car

For example dealerships like to overcharge for old hondas and toyotas for their "reliability". The most reputable dealer in town tried to sell me a 96 civic for like $7k
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.