[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dedicated Car GPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: 635572697638017074AF.png (374 KB, 882x580) Image search: [Google]
635572697638017074AF.png
374 KB, 882x580
Garmin or TomTom?
>>
After some Googling it looks like they're pretty much both very good. I've been using Garmin for years and I like them, but I've never tried a TomTom.
>>
>>14714703

Have a basic bitch TomTom I bought like 7 years ago.

Still works fine. Came with free map upgrades for life so I keep it.
>>
I have an old tomtom XL, I don't even know how old it is because I was in small compartment at the trunk of an used SUV I bought.

It worked well for my trip to mexico, except the maps where a bit outdated because I didn't have a chance update them before I left.
>>
>>14714703
Garmin a best
>>
>>14714703
You don't have a smart phone?
>>
>>14714703
smart phones are best, most people already have them, maps update free and easy, gps signal is quick.
>>
>>14715112
My phone never worked as well as my garmin does for me.

Especially when I was driving a car with no A/C. The phone would get hot and the gps would go all wonky, showed me as driving through the woods a few miles from the interstate I was on. My Garmin has never done that.
>>
Had two Tomtoms and both batteries died just after 2 years when guaranty ran out. Bought a Garmin then, came with lifetime map Updates and never had an issue for 3 years.
>>
File: PSX_20160326_150803.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160326_150803.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
>not using your tablet as a GPS & navigator
Pls, bluetooth audio with the little tts-lady giving instructions while listening to music from any source. Simply best choice, cheaper than dedicated GPS systems.
>>
>>14716394
>after market car audio on shitbox Audi

Jesus Christ
>>
File: c2i_2222016144626.png (522 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
c2i_2222016144626.png
522 KB, 900x506
>>14716507
Whole audio system redone, sound deadening rest of the car this summer. U jel?
>>
>>14716585
I feel like you should use that money on getting a used car that's newer.
>>
File: PSX_20160310_235610.jpg (783 KB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160310_235610.jpg
783 KB, 4160x2340
>>14716618
Friendo, the B5 chassis has some of the best and most reliable cars built in the world, not to mention cheap and easy upkeep while retaining good looks. Body won't rust, engine won't break and the looks will never fade.

I could buy a newer car, but why bother when this has more than half of its life left and I know everything about it already. Anyway, car audio is not really even that expensive.
>>
I have a shitty old tomtom and a less shitty recent 100€ Garmin one.
The Garmin one is pretty good tbqh.
>>
>>14716585
Nice jetta
>>
File: fender bender.jpg (65 KB, 596x399) Image search: [Google]
fender bender.jpg
65 KB, 596x399
>>14716715
Now why would you go and say something like that m8?
>>
>>14716394

>Getting shot for using your phone well driving
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 640x648) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 640x648
I would kinda be weary because I bought this Garmin about 3 months ago and meanwhile it's great, comes with lifetime maps and live traffic, some things have popped up. I once drove with my girlfriend with it plugged in and it would not turn on for the entire 30 minute trip. The night before it worked well too. Voiced command doesn't recognize all too well and it will give me locations to places that shutdown years ago. Should I send it back /o/ because there's no way this is normal.
>>
>>14715023
GPS on smart phones suck for places that have no signal, it also eats up data.

The GPS units ive had were way more reliable than phones.
>>
>>14718625
Does it have bluetooth? Have you paired it with your phone, and have you updated on your computer?
>>
>>14714703
I use the built in OEM system (update the maps annually) with the smartphone for fail-over. The car has live traffic conditions so I only need the cell phone if something was constructed in the last year.
>>
>>14718674
Theres a reason for that. Smartphones don't have totally independent GPS radios. They use a lower power form of transmission known as carrier assisted. Its relaying data to the closest cell towers, and from there requesting GPS data. The dedicated Garmin and similar devices communicate directly with GPS satellites, they don't lean on any cell towers as intermediaries.
>>
>>14718701
Wow I actually learned something on /o/
>>
google maps (or waze if you don't have eyes)

they always stay up to date and are far more advanced

Garmin (not sure about tomtom) have yearly updates that actually cost $100 each (you can pirate them but still)

I have a Kenwood dnx6960 with a built-in Garmin system that is still running maps from 2010

can't find any 2016 torrents for it so I'm just gonna replace the dammed thing with a jbl cp100
>>
>>14718701
>>14718674
But I've been using my Nexus 5 with the cell radio off as a GPS for the longest time now, all A-GPS does is improve startup performance but it can still connect to satellites directly
Modern smartphones should be able to use GLONASS as well
>>
>>14719122
>jbl cp100
muh nigga
>>
>>14718680
I haven't tried the Bluetooth feature yet because my phone is a piece of shit, but yes I have updated it. What could connecting Bluetooth do?
>>
>>14716658
Did you add that LED to the leg space ? Pretty sure that's not stock.
>>
>>14714703
I saw Garmin.

Fucking hate TomTom. Retarded name, retarded device, shitty color scheme.
shit tells you the speed, you go 1mph over the limit, fucking thing turns red, and flashes at you. Not sure if you can disable that, but its fucking autistic.
>>
>>14719387
Pairing gives it more info on restaurants and gas stations IIRC.
>>
>>14719122
Both of my Garmins have free updates, and they update bimonthly roughly.
>>
I have a Garmin gps but don't use it anymore because Google maps is just infinitely better. Plus a coworker of mine had his truck broken into twice because of the gps.
>>
>>14719122

I think all Garmin models come with lifetime free map updates.
>>
File: consider this.jpg (52 KB, 551x498) Image search: [Google]
consider this.jpg
52 KB, 551x498
>>14720166
>Plus a coworker of mine had his truck broken into twice because of the gps.

Maybe your coworkers fault for leaving the GPS in plain sight, or your coworker lives in a shitty part of town, or maybe it wasn't the GPS alone that caused them to break into it?

All of which has no bearing on why one should or should not own a gps unit.
>>
>>14720100

Had a Garmin something-or-other in a work car, did the same thing, but it wouldn't flash. When you're doing 5 over and the GPS is red and the speed reading sign is flashing at you, it really feels like you're doing something wrong.

Garmins are pretty tit though. Again, had one in a work car. Put like 60k miles on the car in a year, probably close to 100k total, the GPS worked pretty great. Only downside was on back roads, it'd tell you to keep going when the road turned into a walking path, or tell you to drive across a field and though some woods to reach a road 5 miles away because it thought there was still a road going there. Outside of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, it worked pretty well. Route mapping was kind of bad, sometimes it would send you on the "fastest" route, but if you missed a turn you'd lose 10 minutes on the ETA anyway.

Currently use google maps on a smartphone in my personal car, kinda like it. Pronounces street names wrong, but gives you options on the route. Turn instructions aren't always accurate ("continue onto" is actually "turn left onto"), doesn't always give you the fastest/best route by default. But it's free and it works well for what it is.
>>
>>14720111
I did that and the Chick-fil-a that's not too far from here isn't found on the GPS. You got any more info on that anon?
>>
>>14718566
>get shot
>in europe
Just american things I guess...

>>14719915
Yeah, it's fucking ebin
>>
>>14714751
same here, the only problem is when updating maps.
can take several tries but in car worked 100% time.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.