[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PREFILTER Yay or nay, pros and cons, experiences? General discussion,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: fujita.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
fujita.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
PREFILTER

Yay or nay, pros and cons, experiences?

General discussion, but if you want to know what application I'd use it for, it would be primarily for street use in a desert environment with light track use.
>>
Desert? Sand / shitskindust?

Yeah go for it. A prefilter wont hurt anything but an incredibly small pocket in performance and your wallet while increasing reliability.

tldr less performance more reliability.
>>
>>14709199

I'm not offroading, or driving into sandstorms as much as I want to re-live Madmax fantasies, but yeah, more dust than say Finland.

That's a really good point, since cone filters add 0-2 hp gain at best, and lose hp at worst, you're saying adding a sock would restrict airflow but little enough to actually do anything, and if I'm able to prolong the filter's life then great.

Just hits the wallet in a dumb way I guess.
>>
I've seen them one a few cars but I thought they were for display only? You leave these on while driving then?
>>
>>14709418
yes theyre to help preserve the filter for when the car is used in dusty/dirty places.

It depends on how often you clean your filter OP, if you find you need to clean it once a week, go for it.

i use a prefilter on my buggy otherwise i'd be cleaning the filter every race, while i can just whip the pre-filter off and smack it silly for a bit.
>>
>>14709191
Aren't prefilters for water repelling? You put those on if your intake is super low (fog light spot or something) and it's raining.
>>
>>14709191
You have to clean the pre-filter 5x as much or more than the actual filter because it blinds off so fucking quickly.

You also lose a ton of filtering surface area because you go from staggered pleats to a straight cone.
>>
>>14710683
the pleated filter surface area isn't lost
>>
>>14710683
This is wrong on a lot of levels.
1. Pleats are used to increase surface area.
2. The pleats arent gone. You now have to surfaces to penetrate instead of 1.
>>
>>14709638

Injen makes one that is. I have an Injen intake, but I don't use the prefilter. My filter is in the bumper, right in front of the left front tire, but it's surrounded by plastic so water would never directly spray onto it. I have to avoid standing water, though. It's so low I think I'd hydrolock in a couple inches of water.
>>
I bought one for my dirt bike when i took a trip to the sand dunes and it seemed to help. But apart from a beach or desert setting it doesn't really seem to do much for me.
>>
Okay general consensus, is don't need it.

If you want to spend money then fine, but considering that this would be for a non off road, non rally, non wet/muddy condition and mostly street car, there are worst ways and better ways to stretch your dollar. Many more and much better ways than worse.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.