[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided I want to become an auto technician after I finish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: bmw-m235i-01.jpg (2 MB, 2040x1360) Image search: [Google]
bmw-m235i-01.jpg
2 MB, 2040x1360
So I decided I want to become an auto technician after I finish HS. However I've heard people say going to a tech school for it is a waste a money.

Would I be better off finding an entry level auto tech job?
>>
>>14708187

Do it, realize you hate it, and move on to something that pays better while being less shite.
>>
>>14708187
idk ask around what it takes to get ASE certified. you won't make shit without it. thats why you go to school
>>
You think you're going to spend the rest of your days tinkering on cars and talking cars with coworkers when really you're going to spend 8-12 hours a day for the rest of your life changing spark plugs on transverse v6's and angry customers that paid $60/hr for your shitty patch work.
>>
>>14708216
Everything in this post is nonsense. Very few employers care about ASE, you don't make much more with them, and going to school has nothing to do with passing the ASE tests
>>
>>14708261
never said you had to go to school. but the school does teach you how to past the certs. that is all its for douche bag. stay away from my car. i don't deal with shops that hire non certified mechanics.
>>
>>14708187
If you want a job a dealer, you need the school. They don't want to gamble on your experience. An independent might be more flexible. I wouldn't do it. You're going to destroy your body for meh pay and a pretty thankless job.
>>
File: DSC_0193.jpg (947 KB, 1205x1800) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0193.jpg
947 KB, 1205x1800
>>14708280
Don't be concerned, we don't work on your make
>>
>>14708187

2: You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>14708203

This. It's a poorfag job unless you have an engineering degree.

>also being underrage
>>
File: aids skrillex.png (378 KB, 1646x1987) Image search: [Google]
aids skrillex.png
378 KB, 1646x1987
>>14708363

Devil's advocate, but about a third of all kids in grade 12 are 18 years old.
>>
>>14708344
>doritofag

well thank god, godspeed retard
>>
>>14708404
You should take your ASE A1, maybe it will help you tell the difference between a DOHC V8 and a rotary

>Technician A says an engine with a V configuration and 8 cylinders is a V8
>Technician B says it's a rotary
>>
>>14708261
All dealers care about ASE's. Not having any guarantees you a starting pay at the bottom of the stack. You will be a lube tech or some other mindless task of changing tires or fixing flats. Are ASE's worth the paper they are printed on? Nope. They are a money grab pure and simple. Some of the worst techs in history have ASE certification. But having them gives you leverage when you are trying to find a decent job.

And OP. You probably won't listen, but don't become an auto technician. It's a shit career you will learn to despise. Don't just take my word for it. Go spend some time in the Flat Rate Tech forum. This is where professional technicians working in the field every day, go to discuss their jobs. If you still want to be a tech after spending a few weeks on the forum then you at least know that you are going to get raped every single day and you are happy to get it.
>>
File: 1444276935894.jpg (109 KB, 815x960) Image search: [Google]
1444276935894.jpg
109 KB, 815x960
>>14708426
omg i don't care i'm not dumb enough to be a mechanic
>>14708434
I think all jobs suck. Just some more than others. The idea of enjoying working is delusional
>>
I highly recommend tech school, but I also recommend getting your start at a Jiffy Lube or Valvoline station just to get a bit of experience.
Tech school is always a better choice, especially ones that offer MSAT programs, then you'll be leaving school qualified to do warrenty work. That makes you super qualified to work.
>>
>>14708187
Work on airplanes OP, it pays more, it's safer plus you will always get payed no matter if you blow any flat rates. wrench on your cars for fun.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.