[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can i install a remote starter by myself? Im not a fucking idiot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 995x1045) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 995x1045
Can i install a remote starter by myself?

Im not a fucking idiot
>>
>>14708065
are you good at reading wiring diagrams? can you work a soldering iron or crimper? if so, yes you can do it. If not, pay someone.
>>
>>14708065
Depends on the car.
>>
>>14708075
Yea i can read a wiring diagram.

Can i install the bypass shit too
>>
>>14708065
>Im not a fucking idiot

Why are you asking then?
>>
>>14708081
2001 v6 accord
>>
>>14708089
cause i think i could probably do it but ive never electrical this hard and id rather not fuck it but i dont want to get fucked and pay out the ass
>>
>>14708109
You could ask over in /diy/, nice board
>>
>>14708075
> Soldering iron or crimper.

Er, nobody should ever use crimpers. Also don't forget heatshrink OP.
>>
>>14709894

I just twist the wires together real tight then zip tie them together
>>
>>14709894
Dude I've been installing LPG conversion kits for years without a single soldered wire and I have yet to see one fail because of that.

You are just shit at crimping
>>
>>14709984
Is there a reason why you choose not to solder? I imagine the crimp connectors would be more expensive than solder.
>>
After market remote start systems have such a rep of being shitty and really it's all about the install. If you can read a wiring diagram you'll be fine. Just get some shrink wrap and an iron and dont be African about it
>>
>>14710001
I like to make connectors whenever possible so I don't have to get crazy cutting wires if I need to remove something big from the engine bay.
Like the additional wiring loom that needs to be connected to the injectors (both the gasoline and the LPG ones) sometimes comes straight from the ECU, which means you need to cut a crapload of zipties and fasteners is something happens to the engine. With a connector in the middle you can just unplug that and leave everything where it is, unless you need to work on the wires themselves.

When joining two wires together permanently, I like to cut a faston in half, scrap the connector part and keep only the crimpable piece, then use that to join the wires and cover everything with shrinking insulation, or whatever that insulating thing that shrinks when heated is called in English. This thing has never failed me once and I find it faster than soldering, especially when you need to join dozens of wires in the main ECU loom.

There are also some places where it's next to impossible to reach with a soldering iron, but you can access with a crimping tool.
Last, but not least, I'm shit at soldering and very good at crimping so I went for the solution that works best for me (because I spend less time doing the job) and for the customer (because I won't come back because of shitty wiring jobs).
>>
>>14710100
>because I won't come back because of shitty wiring jobs
I meant "he won't come back"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.