[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
truck won't run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: idislowness.jpg (28 KB, 398x241) Image search: [Google]
idislowness.jpg
28 KB, 398x241
Ok, so I have a 93 f250 with the 300 inline 6. I swapped out the cab for a new one a few weeks ago. Found out alternator took a shit. Replaces alternator. Battery dead, will start on jump but won't stay running. Im thinking when I replaced the cab, I think i forgot a ground wire somewhere. Is there anything else it could be? It runs just fine when the jumpers are still connected but has about a 30 second life span after they're disconnected. Also, the cab is from a manual, my truck is an automatic, but I dont think it really matters. What other fuck ups could it be?
>>
>>14705939

is the chassis ground cable from the battery tight? make sure all the grounds are tight and the metal to them is clean, as well as that there is no corrosion on the battery terminals or the wiring going to the alternator

what does the battery charge at idle with a voltmeter? could have gotten a bad reman alternator
>>
>>14705939
Gonna ask a stupid question but, did you hook the new alternator up?
>>
>>14705954
Where is the chassis ground located? Im no mechanic. I mean I understand most things but I dont know where a lot of things are. >>14705956
Yes, its hooked up.
>>
How old is the battery? New non-virgin pig lead batteries can shit out after a couple years. The weak battery could of killed the alternator in the first place. Get a clamp meter and see if you got any parasitic drain.
>>
The battery needs to be slow charged at 2 amps to get it healthy. You could take it to parts store and they'll charge it for you and then test it. They can also test your alternator.

Negative battery cable(black) at engine block, positive(red) to the solenoid on the fender?

Carb should be the sme except for maybe a vacuum line or something. It doesnt have a vacuum port/hose not connected does it? It would cause it to rev high or rough.
>>
>>14705939

If you are missing a contact it won't run at all.

Bad alternator for not running consistently, bad battery for not running for at least 5 mins. Jumping from another car for 10 mins will get you up the road and back easy.

Unless you are missing something on the al
>>
>>14706250
The battery is likely original to the truck and is a clamp meter the same as a multi-meter? >>14706298
Will the store charge me for this service? Also, my truck has fuel injectors, no carb.>>14706367
It will start on a jump, but will only run for about 30 seconds by itself without jumpers. The alternator I bought off the shelf like 2 days ago. Would this happen in say my negative terminal is kinda fucked up? Not on the battery but the part that clamps onto the pegs. Also, dumb question but is there any way to fix a shit battery if that's what it is? Im brokeas shit, need to pay rent and also need to get to work. New battery would break my wallet.
>>
File: 1402378807239.jpg (72 KB, 960x614) Image search: [Google]
1402378807239.jpg
72 KB, 960x614
>>14705939
Double check everything, always your first move.

If it'll run while being jumped, it sounds like 2 things are your issue.

1: bad alternator not charging battery

2: bad battery not holding charge.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.