[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Responsible hooning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457344117885.png (682 KB, 1012x566) Image search: [Google]
1457344117885.png
682 KB, 1012x566
Hey /o/, I could use some advice. What is some stuff I should avoid doing if I want my truck to last long? Its an auto 2001 Ranger, so I'm worried mostly about the trans because lolford. I'm not going full racecar 24/7 but I can't resist the occasional skid and whatnot.
>>
avoid occasional skids and whatnot
>>
just don't do what I did when I was 16 and slam the stalk from neutral to drive at redline to see if I could squeal the tires

>squealed more than just tires
>>
Avoid the occasional skid and whatnot.
>>
>>14705676
>>14705721
Obviously this, you know thats not helpful. Some mechanical insight is what I was looking for.

>>14705708
I feel like everyone tried this on their first car at some point
>>
What is hooning? How do I do it too?
>>
>>14705804
You can hoon, but be smooth about it. Cars can take a lot of stress without harming them, it's "shocks" that do the most damage.

No neutral drops, don't skid sideways in rough areas (bearings aren't really designed to take side shock loads like that, such as hitting a pothole sideways etc). Always warm it up before hard driving.

Keep it maintained. Oil and all that. Inspect it for odd noises in the engine bay, take the 10 minutes a week to actually figure out if it's running 100%. Catch problems before they're problems. Inspect the shit out of your suspension as often as you can.

A car won't wear noticeably faster by occasional spirited driving. Just be smart about it.
>>
>>14705645
02 ranger owner here. Submodel, motor and trans? 2wd or 4?
>>
>>14705645

Avoid hard launches. If you want to pedal-to-medal do it from a roll.
>>
>>14706980
Xlt, 4.0, 4wd, i forget what the trans is atm
>>
>>14706820
This is what i was looking for, thanks
>>
>>14709800
The 4.0 is a solid motor; though it's unlikely you'll be willing to spend what it would take to make it "fast." The timing chain tensioners go out like clockwork at 100th miles; so have about a grand in reserve for that. The 4x4 system on the Ranger is good, but not god-tier,and the transmission is as solid as anything you're likely to find on a truck of comparable size. The aftermarket is okay, but fading because it's an older vehicle. You'll have no problem finding lift kits and beefed up suspension components. The real beauty of owning these things, for me, is the simplicity. They're small, light and simple. In the unlikely event you do manage to break something, it can be pulled out and repaired or replaced in a day. Good luck, m80.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.