[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings /o/. tl;dr: Graduated, starting new job soon, need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
Greetings /o/.

tl;dr: Graduated, starting new job soon, need a new (used) ride, only have a few days to buy, don't know -much- about cars outside of the 80's starter pack.

My needs: Something with AWD/4x4, $5-10k, 50-150k miles. Manual transmission is important but I've recently realized this is actually pretty difficult to find.

Local Options:
---------------------

Jeep Liberty (blue) 2003, manual, ~$8,000, ~140k mi. if I remember. Smells like dog, maybe I can talk them down some monies.

Jeep Liberty (White) 2002, auto, "limited", ~$8,000, ~140k mi. Looks good inside and out.

Jeep Grand Cherokee (green) 1996, auto, "limited", ~$7000, 50k mi. Bumper cracked in several spots, not sure of history. Inside tech looks really good for '96.

2008 CR-V, ~100k miles, $10k.

Jeep Cherokee Classic, $6000, 2000, ~140,000 mi, auto

I found a few Subi WRX on craigslist but I'll probably have to finance or get a loan, and I'm not sure if buying from a private owner is a good idea. Any help is appreciated; I'm not getting as much help from my folks as I wished.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed by how few manuals are on the market. I don't think I can drive an automatic for the 4-5 years I'm planning on having this vehicle.
>>
>>14705108
Does it has to be a jeep?
>>
>>14705119
No, but I tend to like the looks of them better than others like CR-V or RAV4.

>looks

I know I know, I just don't know much about different cars so this is all I have to go from.
>>
>>14705108
Do you already have a car?
>>
>>14705145
Sort of, it belongs to my pops and he doesn't want me to take it to my new job (several states over).

Also in case it's important, I'm moving to New Mexico where it's both hot and cold, dirt and snow.
>>
>>14705163
Post your local Craigslist
>>
>>14705184
Is it a good idea to buy from Craigslist? I don't have the cash; I'll have to get a loan or something then.

http://medford.craigslist.org/search/cta
>>
>>14705195
How much cash do you have on hand that you could use for a down payment?
>>
>>14705208
I have about $2k, I could probably get a personal loan from my folks for another ~$1-2k.
>>
>>14705108
If it's all original, 50k miles on the Grand Cherokee is pretty good, especially considering the year. Based on the options you've put, I'd look really good at that, but you'd want to run a VIN check to see what's up. Also, the engine could be a factor as well. All the 4.0 I6 Jeeps I've owned have been fantastic, but I also understand that there are those out there that have issues. I don't know much about the V8, but I've heard mixed stories about them. Unless you find something better/more appealing to you, that Grand Cherokee might be your best option. Other than that, I'd say avoid the Libertys if you can. I've heard too many bad things about those to recommend them.
>>
>>14705241
The '96 was the first one I looked at so I skipped it to shop around. I'll call them and see if they still have it, but I agree it seemed really nice.

No on the Liberty huh? I don't know anyone with them so I can't say one way to another. I was close to just going with it because it's one of the only manuals I've found.

I get really bored and honestly I think my driving performance goes down when I'm driving an automatic. As in, since I don't have to do anything to drive, I put it on the back burner and just get lazy.
>>
Two Wrx:

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/5463470575.html

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/5506298060.html

I just don't know if I can get a loan for ~$8k. Never done that before.
>>
>>14705241
Id steer away from the v8s. the extra power they made was a bit rough on the transmissions. My 2 Cherokees with the 4.0 litre I6 were great. My 96 got to 210k miles before it got rear ended and totalled. my current one is a 01 with 107k miles and is fantastic.
>>
>>14705223
Then you can't afford to finance a car. No one want to finance <10k. You're going to get a shit interest rate. You should take your 2k plus whatever your parents contribute and buy a shitbox outright.
>>
>>14705315
I can handle whatever interest rate, I'll be making ~$6k /mo. and can pay it back after a few months. But if they just flat out won't finance, that's a difference story ... Maybe a loan from my bank? I don't know how this works desu :/

Looks like someone bought the '96 Jeep right after I looked at it. So I don't know.
>>
>>14705374
If you don't know how it works you shouldn't be financing. It doesn't matter how much you're going to be making. What if they don't like you or you're not a good fit and you're jobless in a couple months?
>>
>>14705421
Nigger wtf?
>>14705374
Don't listen to him OP wait for long post guy (LPG) Hes a used car salesman and will tell you everything you need to know
>>
>>14705495
Not that anon, but LPG will tell him to just buy a shitbox outright, he knows it's a suckers game, shit most banks won't even consider an auto loan on a car more than 13 years old
>>
>>14705495
>>14705562

There are a few '00 and newer vehicles I've been interested in that are < $10k, so maybe I can find one of those.

Thanks for the help aut/o/ senpai.

I think my chances of finding something that fits my needs <and> has manual transmission will be slim. My parents are sometimes more trouble than their worth when helping me so I might just end up buying whatever just to end the whole process.

I don't think buying a -total- shitbox is a good idea, considering I'm joining the professional workforce and it would be pretty embarrassing.

On the other hand I might just wait until I move and then buy something in NM.
>>
>>14705621
http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/5472537234.html
This one isn't a total shitter and it fits most of what you want. If you're gonna have a decent paying job you can maybe upgrade after a while since it has a bit of mileage, but it'd do for the time being
>>
>>14705621
Just buy a civic for 2k.
>>
http://medford.craigslist.org/ctd/5505399071.html

5spd Trooper. These are absolutely bombproof. 5spd avoids the craptastic GM sourced 4L30E auto transmission, and the older body style avoids the oil burning DOHC V6. I'd seriously consider buying this if I were closer.
>>
>>14705636
>http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/5472537234.html

That's actually not bad. I just called and they still have it available.

It might be a good idea to go with something cheaper until I get more money.
>>
>>14705703
>http://medford.craigslist.org/ctd/5505399071.html

That's not bad either. Probably not as good millage but it fits what I'm looking for.

Man you guys are so much more helpful than /g/, or most boards on here. Bravo.
>>
I've got to go for now, I'm meeting my dad to look at another dealership.

Thanks for the help! I'll be back after a while.
>>
>>14705714

A stick shift 4Runner, no word on mileage but these 3rz 2.7L+manual combos are basically immortal

http://medford.craigslist.org/ctd/5499871274.html

5spd SUVs in general are a ton of fun to drive, in a different way than cars, but just as much fun in a different kind of 'trucky' way IMO.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.