[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/tists, as much of a nightmare it is to own one of them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 600x450
Hey /o/tists, as much of a nightmare it is to own one of them, why am I still attracted to a jaguar XJS V12, and why do I have the desire to put a 5 or 6 speed manual in them??
Pic related-- local craigslist ad
>>
>why

because youre poor and its the only V12 you will be able to afford

its best to toss that piece of shit for a SBC or SBF
>>
>>14703913
because youre a masochist?
>>
>>14703913
Because you are a rational male.
manual swap is good
chebby V8 swap isn't
>>
don't worry it will be fine.
>>
>>14703927
Oh god why LS? If I wanted a v8 swap I would do either ferd 302 or 460, depending on the size of the engine bay. Some Chevy swaps are gud, but on a jag, I think I'll pass on that
>>
>>14703927
Not gonna lie, I very much enjoy the idea of doing a straight or V6 turbo swap on a little 2-door MGB.. I'd do a vortech v6.. That's a torque-y lil bugger of a motor.
>>
File: _mahou.jpg (111 KB, 446x309) Image search: [Google]
_mahou.jpg
111 KB, 446x309
>>14703913

Had an '85 H.E. for many years, was also my first car. Some of the early models had a 4 speed manual, but there's plenty who've installed a manual, some richmond unit, t56. supra unit etc. There's a few kits available too. Altho it costs a bit ofc and it's typically the sort of investment that'll never return itself in an eventual sale. I remember pondering this too, but in the end I stuck with the original TH400.

They're not too bad to own btw, some electrical glitches, but they're fairly easy to solve, any interior electrics can often be traced to poor connectors that have oxidized and/or become loose, replace them with better alternatives, plenty to pick from Farnell. There was this large lightbuld somewhere in the centre console, it had lots of fibreoptic lines going from it to illuminate various instrumentation, it popped pretty often on mine, never figured out why.

The rear brakes are located in the centre so if you need to replace them you need to drop the rear subframe, which is surprisingly quick to do actually. Some later cars had the brakes out by the wheels I think.
Parts for them aren't too hefty. As long as they're reasonably maintained they're great cars. Very comfy ride, excellent for longer cruises.
>>
just rewire it with good aftermakret wires and get some carbs

expensive but worth it

iirc the best combo is the bigger HE engine with the old heads, that way you make maximum power
>>
No swaps unless to manual gearbox.
You won't ever match the feels of the that jaguar V12 with an American V8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE
>>
>>14704887
>>14704825
Now if only I had the funds.. But thanks for the Helpful/10 advice.
>>
>>14703941
Are you shitting me? I've seen/heard an XJS with a SBC swap and it sounded glorious and went like a scalded dog, they make LS kits for the XK and older XJ's as well for a reason
>>
>>14704887
That's not actually true, considering its a modded GM auto that's connected to the V12 in the later years, Google it
>>
Very cool cars, easily my favourite looking Jaguar

Good on the highway, fuel economy is a bitch, electrical gremlins and overheating will be your biggest issues and most of its problems stems from shitty 70's British build 'quality'. Buts its something different which is important
>>
>>14703927
you know, if there ever was a car that a 2jz suited...
>>
>>14706831
It wouldn't be an XJS
>>
>>14704825
>replace rear brakes
>drop rear subframe

Where did you get that idea. I've done dozens of Jaguar inboard rear brakes and have never needed to drop the subframe. Remove tires, unbolt axles from differential and it all swings down, out of the way.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.