[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proper Wash & Wax
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-03-17 21.36.22.png (2 MB, 1323x743) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17 21.36.22.png
2 MB, 1323x743
Weather's getting warmer here in PA, want to give my car a proper wash and wax. What is /o/'s procedure for a good bi-annual waxing? And while we're on the topic, what's the "best" method for the washing itself? What products should I purchase for this?

Picture related (Car isn't this clean now, pic is from November)
>>
Once a year, usually in spring, I'll

Wash several times with warm water and small amount of mild dish soap. Thoroughly rinse each time.

Clay bar vehicle.

Sealant and let dry/cure as per directions.

Clean interior while that's going on.

Wax.

Maybe wax again.

Remove wheels (winter tires), clean them once off the car, and put the cleaned inside and out wheels with summer tires onto the car. You really can get into the inside of the wheel once it's off the car for all the brake dust and dirt.

Everything except the washing takes place inside the garage, it's a long process.

Rest of the year is just wash with decent carwash soap or spray and wipe with quick detailer.
>>
>>14703729
NEVER EVER EVER USE DISHSOAP

It literally cuts right through your factory paint coatings, how retarded are you?
>>
File: clay bar.jpg (87 KB, 802x444) Image search: [Google]
clay bar.jpg
87 KB, 802x444
>>14703729
>clay bar

my nigga
i feel like this is usually a forgotten step

gotta get that dirt out of your wax/sealant coat before you just seal it in

using a clay bar really calms my autism
>>
>>14703946
he's removing old wax and shit and then proceeding to reseal. It's fine you fucking autist.
>>
>>14703946

I'll change just for you, Anon. <3
>>
>>14703688
A standard decontamination wash consists of the following (exterior only):

Equipment needed:
-wheel soap/cleaner/all-purpose cleaner (like simple green; Meguiar's also has APC specifically for cars)
-wheel brush
-hose or pressure washer
-spray foamer/foam gun attachment for a pressure washer
-decontamination soap (not dish soap); again, Meguiar's is a good, reasonably priced brand
-two buckets
-at least 2 wash mitts
-clay bar/nanoskin mitt
-clay lubricant/quick detail spray
-microfiber drying towels
-wax/sealant of choice

Not going to get into polishing, since that's a much more time-intensive process and requires hundreds of dollars in equipment.

Process:

1. Wash wheels/wheel wells with APC/wheel cleaner; spray on, let dwell for 2-3 minutes (do NOT allow to dry), scrub using wheel brush and/or wash mitt specific to cleaning wheels & wheel wells. Some people prefer to use diluted wheel solution instead of spraying on the cleaner, but it's typically an individual preference thing. Just make sure you have at least a bucket of rinse water to clean off your brush/mitt between wheels. Don't forget wheel wells; salt and road grime collect there and can drip onto undercarriage if not properly cleaned.

2. rinse wheels and wheel wells with sprayer on hose.

3. (Optional) Remove wheels to increase access to brakes and wheel wells; complete steps 1 & 2 again.

4. Initial rinse; rinse car with just water, using hose/pressure washer.

5. Initial wash; attach foam gun, spray foam on car, allow to dwell, rinse off prior to drying.

6. Fill two buckets with water; add soap to one. Use soap bucket to wet wash mitt; use non-soap bucket to rinse wash mitt after cleaning car. Work from top to bottom, and rinse each panel with the hose after you're done.

7. Pull the car into a shady area, and clay the car. Spray the clay lubricant on, use the clay, wipe off with microfiber drying towel after you've clayed the panel.

8. Once the car is clayed & dried, use your sealant.
>>
>>14704200

overkill.
>>
>>14703946
>It literally cuts right through your factory paint coatings,
Thats not true. Fuck off with your made up bullshit.
>>
>>14704200
Can I do this shit without being a foam cannon / pressure washer barbarian?
>>
>>14703688
Op your car is absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>14704810
Dish soap eats oils, which is what the coatings are made of. Most owners manuals will specifically say to not use dish soap, mine does in bold letters.
>>
>>14706448
>Dish soap eats oils

it's fucking SOAP. It's no god damn different than the car wash soap or bath soap.
>>
>>14706509
Yes it is. The entire point of "dish" soap is to cut and remove grease and oils. Body soap and shampoo would be fine on your car if you really wanted to use those, but dish soap specifically is formulated to fuck up oils. Hence why dish soaps always say "grease cutting power!" or similar right on the bottle.
>>
Are you talking about doing it actual proper or like wash clay wax sealant
>>
>>14706812
Actual proper meaning what?
>>
>>14706448
What coating?
>>
>>14707238
Clear coat.
>>
>>14708957
Since when is that made out of oil.
Its not the 1920's and cars aren't coach built and painted with brushes and oil paint.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.