[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many SUV/crossover/crew cab owners actually make full use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: trucks.png (2 MB, 1244x750) Image search: [Google]
trucks.png
2 MB, 1244x750
How many SUV/crossover/crew cab owners actually make full use of their utility, and could have just gotten a hatchback/wagon instead?
>>
>>14702012
Most of them. Haul one big screen TV and you have made full use.
>>
>>14702018
That'll fit in the backseat of a Civic
>>
100% of crossover owners could have gotten a car or a wagon and have the same space inside. It confuses me how those vehicles can be so big and yet have such minimal space inside.
>>
>>14702023
No lol. BIg screen TV. You can't lay a big screen TV down. It has to be angled or upright, otherwise you will break the glass, which cannot support it's own weight.
>>
My dads Outlander has often had need of its 7 seats when transporting kids at the school where he works. We're also able to fit much more musical equipment into it due to the tall space between boot floor and roof. Ground clearance and selectable AWD is also a god send with heavy snowfalls and a need to often tow a 2-ton trailer in those conditions in a very hillly place

I'm actually about to grab that car, fill it with medical/rescue equipment, hook up a 1.2 ton trailer and deive up a very steep mountain road that will most likely be mostly covered in ice.

Crossovers are great, but you are right that too many people buy them when a wagon or even a sedan would have bewn better
>>
>>14702018
That can be hauled in a trailer.
The question should be how often do SUV/PU owners fully utilize their vehicles.
>>
Central CA fag that works at a gas station here

Almost none of them
>>
>>14702057
It could also be hauled on a boat. So what's your point?
>>
>>14702071
>So what's your point?
That hauling a big screen is not considered "full utilization."
>>
>>14702012
2009 Ford Expedition Limited

During the summer we haul the horses about 100 miles on weekends. So 5 adults, 4 horses, and 3 dogs.

Works well enough, but I'm right at the comfortable limit of the Expedition.
>>
>>14702078
Then 20 big screens. You never said how often it has to be fully utilized. Or if you were talking payload or passengers.
This is a troll thread about like a thang, and that another thang should be liked.
>>
I've hauled guitar and drum equipment in my SUV regularly.
>>
Only people who actually use their trucks in california are mexicans and people with jobs requiring them.
>>
>>14702106
20 big screens fit in a trailer as well.

I'm not OP, but I do just find it silly that so many people buy these SUV/PUs and never really NEED them except maybe once or twice a year that they could just use a trailer for, or rent a PU from U-Haul or something.
>>
>>14702127
Why drill your car, rent a hitch and trailer, etc. when you can just haul shit in your vehicle? And who cares how often they need them? They have need or plan need or they would buy a hatchback...which is a ridiculous comparison in the first place.
Customer: "I'm looking for a crew cab pickup truck"
Salesman: "Can I interest you in Honda Civic? They are almost the same thing."
>>
>>14702149
>Why drill your car, rent a hitch and trailer, etc.
You don't have to rent those things. You can buy them. Buying them also comes with the added benefit of being modular so when hauling big items is not needed, you don't bring the trailer. Replace car, keep trailer and continue using it. Or replace trailer and not have to get a whole new car.

The point that I am trying to make is that many people make a mistake of thinking they need or want a pickup when they really don't. I know a couple of people who regret their purchase because they never use the bed, all it's there to do is collect snow, get in the way of maneuvering in tight areas, and be dead weight using more gas.

Now the people out there who do utilize pickups on a regular basis for work or recreation, then sure, knock your self out, pickups are great vehicles that offer many great things.
Just please make sure you actually want to spend upwards of $40k on a pickup if you only really need what a $25k sedan will adequately do for you.
>>
>>14702194
>I know a couple of people who regret their purchase because they never use the bed
Those people you know are fucking idiots then, because nobody else buys a pickup to only commute.
>>
File: 1407260964464.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1407260964464.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>14702012
Tiny tiny fraction. Most of them are deluded retards like >>14702018 who think that when they "haul" something that would make them fold the seats of a normal car or just use the back seats, it completely justifies daily use of an utility vehicle.

Oh, and of course, driving "off-road" (i.e. on a road that's not completely paved) once a year is another justification of those consumerist simpletons.
>>
>>14702208
Your deluded or wishful thinking...or more likely a bigot, who thinks people never use their utility or pickup trucks for anything other than what YOU do.
>B-but they don't do that everday!
They don't need to, just like you walk more often or bicycle instead of driving. Why don't you ride a bicycle. You get a trailer and all weather clothing?
>>
>>14702205
>Those people you know are fucking idiots then
And now, we have come full circle. all the way back to the point of this thread.
>How many SUV/crossover/crew cab owners actually make full use of their utility, and could have just gotten a hatchback/wagon instead?
Holy shit that was like magic.

People out there buy something they don't need because they think they need it. And doing a quick look at what's driven in my area vs how many people are utilizing the bed the numbers are very heavily in the "most people are retarded," column.
>>
>>14702223
It wasn't magic at all. It means you hang out with retards, so you assume everyone else does or that only retards own these vehicles. You sound like a pessimistic tyrant.
>>
>>14702232
>retards
>retards
>You sound like a pessimistic tyrant.
Well, as long as you entire posts now are just ad hominem, I'm going to bed. Enjoy your truck.
>>
Can't fucking tow my 5th wheel with a car
>>
>Friend buys a new Ford F-150
>He lives in San Francisco
>In an apartment
>He's an accountant

?????
>>
>>14702274
Then why not buy a train.
>>
>>14702298
He's towing a trailer, not your family.
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 1462x1462
>>14702307
>>
>>14702222
Yes, be a good consumer, buy an LWB pickup truck for when you need to haul a washing machine once a year. That's a completely sensible thing to do
>>
>>14702029
lay it down on its back ?
>>
>>14702012
SUV's are a failed attempt of a jack of all trades, and they really do master none. They can't off road to the extend a proper off roader can, they, and they take about as much fuel, they don't handle anywhere near as good as a hatchback or a wagon, and have about the same practicality as a wagon, and far less spacial utility than a van, they really are failures of machines, people mostly buy them because they like the mighty feeling of being big on the road, (van is bigger) despite the fact they are more prone to tipping over, can't handle as good as a standard car equivalent, takes more fuel, and have about the same crash protection, so really... they just look like massive idiots.

>truth has been spoken

>>14702018
who the fuck picks up a TV ? why not get it delivered ? and lets be honest, a van is a million times more practical space wise.
>>
File: 1431104018873.png (717 KB, 577x1177) Image search: [Google]
1431104018873.png
717 KB, 577x1177
>>14702474
Considering you can buy a 1/2 pickup that gets the same gas mileage as a wagon I don't see the rationale for hate here.

I have an SUV as my weekend off-roading vehicle because the only wagon option was a subaru outback. Worse clearance, doesn't have 4WD and goddamn they are ugly as hell.
>>
>>14703697
So what vehicle from the factory in 2016 is better off road than a Jeep Rubicon? Please tell me.
>>
You're fucking a white male
>>
>>14703728
Land cruiser, hilux, patrol, triton, bt50. . Any 4wd ute
>>
>>14703665
He is saying the structural integrity of a 70 inch piece of glass sucks so if it's parallel to the ground road impact can make it shatter
>>
Because wagons are very rare in the US these days, you're pretty much forced to buy a cuckover.
>>
File: 1439507759840.jpg (73 KB, 519x533) Image search: [Google]
1439507759840.jpg
73 KB, 519x533
>>14703720
>the same gas mileage as a wagon
>>
>>14702012
>>14702012
Very few people actually use them for what they're intended for. Sure, they buy it and fully intend to use all that space for hauling, their house could use a new deck and they've been meaning to do that... But really, they may use it once or twice a year for its intended purpose. Trucks and SUVs tend to be gas hogs, prone to breakdowns (depending on the model, of course), and just don't make sense; however, people who own them, love them because they make you feel big. When you're trundling down the road in a big ole' SUV/Truck, or even a mid sized one, you look down at all those sedans, hatchbacks, motorcycles, and smaller cars like your king of the road.

The feeling can be intoxicating, because it makes you feel important, even if you're just some clerk at a gas station who works the night shift. At least, that's how mine made me feel... Then, I kind of grew out of it. Now I'm driving a slightly more sensible car.
>>
>>14703697
This is exactly the reason I have SUVs
>>
>>14702049
>My dads Outlander has often had need of its 7 seats when transporting kids at the school

So can a minivan, in a way that has more space and probably gets better mileage compared to an SUV. Especially considering SUV's nowadays are just smaller minivans that happen to have memelift and just enough 4WD to allow it to be called an SUV instead of a minivan.
>>
File: camping setup.jpg (92 KB, 960x562) Image search: [Google]
camping setup.jpg
92 KB, 960x562
I couldn't even do this in a Truck unless I had a topper shell on it, and even then it would be a pain in the ass to insulate it and warm it up from inside when it gets super cold.
>>
File: 20160324_081435_resized.jpg (466 KB, 1594x897) Image search: [Google]
20160324_081435_resized.jpg
466 KB, 1594x897
>>14704090
If transportation was the only concern then ofcourse a minivan would be better, its what they are made for. Why are you pulling just that fact out and saying "LOOK A MINIVAN DOES IT BETTER"?

Very few minivans around here are offered with any form of AWD. In a crossover you'll also generally have much less road noise, a more forgiving ride, more relaxing seating position and more models to choose from.

I can't find a more suitable type of vehicle for his use. 35 MPG, plenty of options, AWD, 7 seats, ride quality good enough that you won't find any "flaws" driving in any terrain you'll be taking such a car into, two ton tow rating, spacious boot and good ground clearance

If you can find something that suits his needs better than a mid-size crossover then please do tell
>>
>>14704286
Because I detest what the SUV has become. They're barely able to go off-road as the name "SUV" was originally meant to designate and they're all just bloated road-going shadows of former SUV's. The only vehicle capable of calling itself an SUV is a Jeep Wrangler.

All of these mall-crawler SUV's I've been in had stupidly tight suspension that was stupidly close to bottoming out to prevent it from rolling like a barrel, and it was extremely uncomfortable. The only thing it's good at is having some inside space, has some luxary amenities, and can still accept a class 2 tow package. There are other vehicles that can do each one of those things better.
>>
File: 1457643551057.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1457643551057.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>14705247
So what type of vehicle does fit the "criterias" listed in >>14704286 better than a car like the Mitsubishi Outlander?

Do you know why the crossover is so much more popular now and "killing" the traditional SUV? The SUV was the "only" choice for people who wanted offroad/bad road capability
outside of the super-utilitarian Willys Jeeps and similar vehicles that were only good for those areas and absolutely nothing else. These days you get a mix with AWD, ok ground clearance and comfort that fits people much more than a rough SUV with a suspension uncomfortable for on-road driving, high fuel consumption, noisy cabin and high price

What I'm able to understand is that you don't like crossovers because they aren't the "proper" SUV's that are much fewer in number these days? The "problem" (if you can call it that) with crossovers is that they are indeed bought in very large numbers by people who have no need of them, and would be better off with a sedan or a wagon. Still, that doesn't mean that the crossover is completely useless and isn't the best style for a certain demographic...

I'm still waiting for you to give an example of the car or style that is better suited to what I described in >>14702049 and >>14704286... after all, you did just say that there are other vehicle than can do all of it better
>>
>>14704112
>dat pic
Compfy/10
>>
>>14704112
I can do this in my bloody Pajero Sport and that's a relatively small SUV...
>>
>>14702246
Thanks?
>>
>>14703885
Then you're just an idiot.
>>
>>14702023
Confirmed for having a small tv.
>>
>>14705247
>The only vehicle capable of calling itself an SUV is a Jeep Wrangler
LOL have you been in a Wrangler recently?
it's still got the fundamentals but you can see it turning
>>
My dads small SUV is in the shop for some major power steering leak clusterfuck, and they gave him a 2016 silverado crew cab as a loaner.

Its the stupidest shit ever. The bed is useless in size, the interior is flashy looking cheap plastic, and its chock full of technology nobody wants or will ever bother to learn to use.

Its a fucking $50k+ joke of a car.
>>
File: 1458872906072.jpg (19 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1458872906072.jpg
19 KB, 400x320
>>14702012

Holy shit that pic
>>
>>14708736
I'll fully admit I was being stupid when I was driving around in my shit Cherokee. Seriously, I didn't need that shit at fucking all. But I still drove it because it's nice not being pushed around by jackasses in pick up trucks and other SUVs. But yeah, it the old thing broke down recently, and I decided to get a hatchback instead.
>>
>>14702127
why do you have to NEED something to buy it? maybe they just like not feeling like their ass is 2 inches from the road or like knowing they have the extra room if it's ever needed
>>
>>14702012
For the crew cabs, at least, many do see a lot of use, but that's because they're fleet cars. The F150 and Silverado (crew cabs included) sell the majority of their production numbers as company vehicles.
>>
File: 45684234643.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
45684234643.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>Euros fags mad as usual
starting to feel insecure driving around in some 1L diesel Hot Wheels? fucking plebs
>>
>>14711181
no
you are the shithead ruining my commute
and make me wish every goddamn day that I had taken a rifle with me
>>
File: 10633-Come-At-Me-Bro.jpg (101 KB, 660x487) Image search: [Google]
10633-Come-At-Me-Bro.jpg
101 KB, 660x487
>>14711200
>>
>>14711204
i want to heave a cinderblock through your $50000 windshield on the highway, cletus
>>
>>14711234
my windshield is like $600 dumb fuck. how old are you? sound like some dumb fucking child
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.