[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's with small engines with turbos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
why is Honda even making a 1.5L Turbo? Why not just bring back their 210HP n/a instead of a fake-sporty car. It's like buying a turbo veloster
>>
Because in some markets, displacement and emissions are taxed to fuck.
A small, turbocharged engine keeps the car out of the higher tax brackets and, as a result, keeps it affordable.
>>
>>14701634
Because some people like having torque at low rpm.
>>
>>14701655
The k24 has torque
>>
>>14701685
I wonder if they will ever factory turbo the k24 for the civic Si
>>
>>14701724
There's no plans for it, the new SI is gonna use a 2L turbo
>>
better mpg
tax shit
more fun

the 1.5T with a CVT is just as quick as the last gen SI too
>>
>>14701733
thats dissapointing :\ have they actually released any numbers or anything yet? last i checked they were doing two engines you could select from, wasn't sure if that was accurate though.
>>
File: KindergardenCop161_8497.jpg (25 KB, 266x202) Image search: [Google]
KindergardenCop161_8497.jpg
25 KB, 266x202
>>14701634
because boyracers cant put ITB's on a turbro
>>
>>14701743
They said it's going to be approx 230hp, no torque numbers but I'm guessing ~220~. That's the only engine available. They really want you to get the Type R. I guess like with that Subaru does with the Impreza.
>>
>>14701634
Turbocharging allows for dem MPGs when out of boost and then power on boost. If you want a quicker econobox you're not buying any modern car anyway.
>>
>>14701685
3600rpm vs 1700 rpm in the 1.5t
>>
>>14701634
china has tax bands every 500cc
>>
>>14701744
>>14701744
>implying
>>
>>14701634
>Neon green accents
Hello 2006.
>>
>>14701634
Efficiency & emissions.
>>
>>14702687
i.e. taxes.
>>
>>14702736
Thinning that's the reason for good engineering. You must be a septic.
>>
>>14702744
>thinking good engineering isn't what is appropriate to real world conditions, like taxes
>>
>>14702746
Oh you are a fucking moron, why didn't you just say so up front. Please fuck off back to your third world country that doesn't understand about pollution or consumer demand.
>>
>>14702872
Yuropoor here. We drive polluting smoky diesels here because they are cheap to run. that is what we demand.
No one I know delayed a purchase so they could buy a euro6 car instead of euro5 so they could pollute less.
Removing DPFs is common as they cost so much to fix.
If fuel tax was abolished most people would drive a much thirstier car.
>>
>>14701634
smaller, more economical engines -> cheaper.
also turbos aren't complete shit anymore. there's no reason not to put at least one turbo in your car these days unless its some dacia and it will fall apart in a few months anyway.
>>
>>14702893
All dacias here have turbos, since thay use Renault drivetrains. Tce or Dci.
>>
>>14701634
Because yuropoors live in yuropooria where they have high taxes on power.
>>
>>14702886
>polluting, smoky diesels
>yfw VW last year
Nigger, if we didn't care about the emissions then VW wouldn't have bothered hiding that shit / gotten so blasted about being exposed about it last year. Also good luck getting a diesel without a DPF through the HU/AU.
>>
>>14703374
this

As soon as i can get 3grand togetther i am slapping a twin turbo kit on my ls from ebay
>>
>>14703428
Only Americans got upset as they saw it as foreigners breaking the law in their country.
The average European only cares about emissions because it affects car design.
They don't really care. Sure we don't go around pouring waste oil down drains but living like a Green party member and recyling our farts? No.
Also, some new VWs are still EU5 spec.
>>
>>14703624
The Green party won over 30% of the votes in Baden-Württemberg two weeks ago, the state of Germany where Benz, Bosch and Porsche originate from. I dunno about you but I think wherever you are, you're projecting quite a lot.
>>
File: 1456842585516.jpg (23 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
1456842585516.jpg
23 KB, 300x268
Honda is making turbos now because thats what the faggot market wants. They resisted it as much as they could, they were one of the last manufacturers to offer N/A only on their sporty shitboxes and kept losing market share because of it

Everbody wanted a mazdaspeed3 or turbo veloster or wrx or focus ST or whatever the fuck even tho the k20 and k24 were solid engines and would last longer than a turbo variant

Theyve stil got the NA 2litre on the new civic if you want. Theyre doin what theyve gotta do to stay competitive tho with modern cars. If you dont have a turbo now the car is seen as boring and 'slower than it should be'
>>
>>14703703
NA is shit tho

it simply cant compete
>>
>>14703648
>kretschmann
>green
this is what greentards actually believe.
>>
>>14703759
Hello Alphonse!
>>
>>14702886
>polluting smoky diesels
Of course, as if petrol ones don't pollute more.
Please stop being thick ;-)
>>
>>14703796
>caring about vehicle CO2 instead of Nox and particulates
pretty dumb desu
>>
>>14703811
I don't care at all, about any of these.
But attacking diesels just because they pollute, is a pretty hypocritical thing to do, taking into account most petrol cars emit much more CO2 and NOx than modern diesels.
>>
>>14703796
>expecting basic common sense from mjet

>>14703844
maybe you would care if you knew why you should.
>attacking
i drive a diesel van. go cry about my attacks
>>
>>14701792
What are the peak torque numbers though? I'd imagine that a 1.5t can produce a better torque curve (because of small turbo) but the peak torque would be less.
>>
>>14703844
atleast petrols smell decent, especially if you mix a bit of 2smoke in
diesel smells like burnt rotting fruit.
therefore petrol is objectibly better
>>
>>14703759
NA is better cause the engines generally last longer and have less moving parts to break

We're talking about Honda here, the company focused on reliability and economy cars. Maybe turbos make sense on rallyboy speedcarz but they really dont fit with Hondas core competencies
>>
>>14701634
Because a turbo makes a smaller engine more powerful.
A smaller engine with a turbo is lighter than a big engine with no turbo.
A smaller, lighter engine means the structure supporting the engine can be smaller and lighter
A smaller, lighter engine structure means a smaller, lighter car.
Thus, you end up with a better power to weight ratio, a cheaper car, and more profit margin.

And also you're just sticking a turbo on an existing engine block, which makes everything cheaper.

It's like you're literally a moron.
>>
>>14703909
Do you drive a carbed?
>>
>>14701634
I still can't get over the fact that it looks like a riced Kia Rio Cinco
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.