[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone pelase redpill me on why yanks love v8's and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: dualplane_carb.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
dualplane_carb.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
Can someone pelase redpill me on why yanks love v8's and carbs? EFI Makes more power more reliably and uses less fuel literally no downsides or i am i missing something?

i never see them running carbs on anything else but a v8

LS with carb swaps are so common why do people do it?

I really cant figure out why they do it because their not any easier to tune or work on or simpler they seem more complicated and prone to malfunction and cant handle any boost for shit

Please redpill me on NA Carb V8's.

I cannot figure it out WHY WHY?
>>
>>14701302
It's because we love making liberals cry, anon.

It's also because boomers literally can't into compooter.
>>
>>14701336
so will carbs die with the boomers?

Do they see it as some sort of artform?

granted carbs look better as do their cleaners but thats literally the only upside
>>
>>14701340
I'm a millenial. I'm on the hunt for a 60's GM/Ford car right now. Glorious Carbed V8.

Carbs are also easy to deal with.
>Turn screw driver
>A/F adjusted

Compared to EFI where you need to get out your tuning software.
>>
carbs are cheaper and thats about it
>>
>>14701302
>LS with carb swaps are so common why do people do it?

Cost and ease of putting together a fuel system/swapping engine. When you're retrofitting into a much older vehicle its far easier to do fuels lines and some basic wiring versus hacking apart a wiring harness from a truck so you can install it in your Nova.
>>
>>14701365
But what i am saying is WHY do boomers and young folks like yourself take a perfectly good EFI motor and make it have LESS power by putting Carb conversion kits on them?

Carbed LS motors for example?

Its like negative gearing for horsepower
>>
>>14701340
They do look better, but boomers seriously just don't get computers at all. They don't understand them for any reason, let alone why one might be better at precisely metering out the flow of a fluid better than a tiny toilet bowl float and a bit of 19th century technology. It's kind of hard to understand unless you've had to teach computers to them. It's like trying to teach calculus to someone with downs. That whole generation stopped learning new things when the drugs wore off for them in the 80s.
>>
>>14701384
thats horseshit they sell premade looms w/ ecu's now just for engine swaps

Same thing with EFI Carbs WHY the fuck do they even exist?

Its all the downsides of Carb with no benefit whatso ever.

Its like owning a gaming chair peripherals and pc it makes no fucknig snes
>>
>>14701302
The only people who do LS swaps with carbs are the same morons who can't figure out fuel injection to save their lives.
>>
File: 1449905668755.gif (23 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1449905668755.gif
23 KB, 160x160
>>14701395
But its literally
>plug tuning software in
>???
>Load premade table
>???
>Tweak it
Done

Ive taught older people computers from 40-80 and theres no problem there so why cant boomers do it? Fucking most stubborn dumb generation when it comes to technology post 80s....

Ohhhhhhh
>>
>>14701386
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-1104-ls1-carburetor-vs-computer-performance-test/

Here, read this.
>>
>>14701399
>thats horseshit they sell premade looms w/ ecu's now just for engine swaps

>$500 loom
>$900 ecu
>$400 injectors
>$300 fuel pump/fpr
>$75 tuning software

Or

>$350 carburetor
>basic hand tools

Hmm? I wonder what the appeal is?
>>
>>14701408
These fuckers can't figure out Internet Explorer. What makes you think they can do that?
>>
Ok ok ok you guys dont seem to get what i am asking

For example

>Stock LS1 GM barge with factory EFI
>Bogan Rednecks then take that EFI OFF and convert it to twin hirises or whatever the fuck
>Costs thousands of dollars
>makes the same or maybe a little more power if the sun is at a particular angle in the sky and the farts are a right temprature in the certain apex of the corner they might see 1-10hp more
WHY?

Literally i look around FB and all i see are showpony wanker Carbed cars that used to have factory EFI

Even my generation (Y) and upwards are doing it

Fucking WHY?

its like people who pay to pirate literally paying for less hp and more problems

>>14701418
i really dont understand whats so hard about using Windows and IE for old people its literally made for retards
>>14701413
Or they could just leave the existing EFI system on there, get the ECU tuned and save $200-2000
>>
>>14701444
cuz it looks cool
>>
File: jeremy_clarkson_1420525.jpg (118 KB, 412x500) Image search: [Google]
jeremy_clarkson_1420525.jpg
118 KB, 412x500
>>14701466
so carbie converts are vain /fit/ like faggots that look strong but are actually pissweak femboys?

Noice
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-23-23-53-32.png (736 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-23-23-53-32.png
736 KB, 1080x1920
>>14701399
$1,700 just to retain the novelty of an old timey fuel injector that barely flows enough fuel to make 300 hp
>>
>>14701444
>WHY?
see:
>>14701407
They do it because they're retarded and it's all they can understand. Their minds are stuck in the past and anything that goes against their worldview from 1965 is something beyond the scope of their understanding.
THAT'S why they switch to carbs. Because they don't understand or care to understand how EFI is better.
>>
i think carbs are neat because theyre entirely mechanical and i like that. easy to tune too. if i were to buy a car as a project id go with something carbed because its easiest to mess with
>>
>>14701535
That's just price gouging on Holley's part because they know there are enough people out there that are stupid enough to cough up the cash. The computer all by itself costs $1,000. A grand for something that's as powerful as a $40 Raspberry Pi.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-24-00-13-07.png (367 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-24-00-13-07.png
367 KB, 1080x1920
>>14701616
That's only a partial kit. Let's say you had a 4l60e and gen 3 sbc you wanted to throw into your old 1st gen camaro out back.
>>
>>14701643
>bits that could be had for a couple of hundy at the junkyard
Christ you could build so much with 5k they charge for that crap

Why wouldnt you just go manual valvebody?
>>
>>14701690
You're paying for a easily programmable UI that has the ability to transmit data over proprietary gm can lo and can hi. It's definitely a lot easier than wading through the thousands and miles of 16 gauge wire that make up a chassis harness.
>>
I grew up working on carbs, the less I have to do with them the happier I am.
>>
File: 1407808920800.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1407808920800.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>14701707
If there was only this thing called MegaSquirt.
>>
>>14701769
thats some big engines on that plane
>>
File: 205%20engine[1].jpg (124 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
205%20engine[1].jpg
124 KB, 800x600
>>14701302
ditching efi and fitting twin webers was a popular mod in the uk and germany in the 80s/90s when fuel and insurance was cheap
>>
>>14701386
It's only less power if you want it to be less power.
>>
I don't think they even use EFI on dragsters or funny cars, do they?
Also, it ain't just a yank thing. They love this in Australia and Canada too.
>>
File: 4591419465_9048761208_b.jpg (377 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
4591419465_9048761208_b.jpg
377 KB, 1024x683
>>14701302
It's cheap and easy. That's all there is to it. Many people are not willing to spend the extra time and money to convert their car to EFI for marginal gains.
>>
>>14702054
now we just use bike crabs and dont declare mods on insurance
>tfw £800 a year is cheap
>>
>>14701302
I was going to convert from a single barrel carburettor to single point fuel injection
but then I realised they do the same thing and its useless without better control over spark timing
>>
>>14701769
Megasquirt isn't cheap

>>14701444
You should stop posting
Seriously
>>
>>14702066
Depends on the 'Class' of racing you're doing, some stuff like Pro-Stock uses EFI, others like Top fuel are restricted to using stuff like continuous fuel injection systems and the like.
>>
File: 600full-p_j_-o'rourke.jpg (117 KB, 200x334) Image search: [Google]
600full-p_j_-o'rourke.jpg
117 KB, 200x334
>>14702088
lol bike crabs
>>
>>14701340
22 yo
Carb swapping on a cvpi modular
>>
>>14701386
>less power
100% myth
>>
Can someone pelase redpill me on why people love petrol fueled cars? Electric Makes more power instantly and uses less resources literally no downsides or i am i missing something?
I never see them running fuel on anything else but a shitbox
I really cant figure out why they do it because their not any easier to make or more fun they seem more complicated and prone to malfunction and cant handle dat instant max torque
Please redpill me on petrofuels
I cannot figure it out WHY WHY?
>>
>>14702170
I can't wait for EVs to be mandated by the gov't and running around on my dirty, rich burning, carb'D bike.
>>
Because it's fun m8. Taking the computer out ups the "man vs. iron" factor.
>>
>>14701302
Im not a an american and personaly for me the looks of a carb is why i prefer it over the efi set ups
>>
>>14701302
Carbs used to be a lot cheaper. Nowadays, aftermarket EFI systems bridged that gap. The tuneabilty was also better, given that EFI system's couldn't datalog or be uodated on the fly with new maps.

EFI doesn't make more power per se. Atomisation on carbs is generally better iirc, and I suppose because you're compressing your fuel before you inject it, it might pull less heat out of your intake air.

Nobody with carbs cares about gas mileage. Or should.

Carb'd LS swaps are common because you get SBC looks and packaging with modern power.

They don't seem easier to work on for you, but they might to other people. Carbs are more technically elegant (for what that's worth). They are easier to work on if your tools are mechanical instead of electrical. They aren't prone to malfunction, they just need to be set up correctly and sometimes adjusted. Modern stuff like a datalogging AFR gauge can really help with this. If you use the data that's available to an EFI system, you can easily tune a carb.

Carbs can function in drawthrough setups easily (and beautifully, two fourbarrels on a Roots is automotive heaven), but sadly you can't use that on turbo's (because gasoline droplets + high RPM compressor wheel = damaged blade tips). Having them modified to work in a blowthrough setup is possible, but the knowlede isn't widespread yet, so that'd be easier with an EFI setup.

End of the day, it boils down to the fact that a Six Pack or a single plane fourbarrel looks better than most EFI intakes, and that some people are more comfortable with mechanicals than they are with electronics.
>>
>>14701386
>why

In my dad's case, all he wanted was a car with a lopey idle like back in the day. We found a 89 Mustang GT that had some mods and an idle that was lopey enough for him. While in general he likes the car there are a couple of details that bother him. He likes a hard back-down on the revs that a thousand years ago made cars have a raspy sound on the shifts. Modern EFI idle-decay times and above-idle engine speeds while coming to a stop defeat that. Also closed-loop idle tends not to be quite as consistently lopey as he would like. Sure these things could be changed with some tunig but that would require some investment in items like a QuarterHorse or something and time. Or perhaps having a tune done but good luck getting the point across to a tuner in the ten seconds he allots per car. In neither case does he want to spend the money so he thinks he'd like to convert it to carb for consistency in the things he would like to have however that's even more expensive so he just deals with it as-is
>>
>>14701399
They do that nowadays. They didn't up to very recently. Besides, that wiring loom means an EFI setup becomes more expensive.

Four barrel EFI (not carb EFI) sorta has a carb look (pretty big factor in restomodding), and makes just as much horsepower, provided the intake manifold is designed well. Yes, they may lose 2-3% compared to a traditional plastic EFI manifold because of runner design, but they're injecting fuel at the same place as a regular EFI system, the power difference ends up being on the intake design, not injection design.

>>14701444
Some people are more comfortable with mechanical systems than you are.
>>
>>14702120
Top fuel isn't restricted to 'continuous fuel injection'. It's called mechanical fuel injection, and you're allowed to use EFI there iirc - but there's too many things to go wrong with that. Keep in mind, those things are dieseling halfway through the run because their sparkplugs are literally welded into glowbulbs, and one failed ignition cycle means either huge external explosion or hydrolock - on a 10000+ HP engine that's trying to accelerate. Besides, I don't even know if there's injectors that'll do a 10000HP supercharged nitro-methanol V8 at 200% DC, nevermind a safe 80%.
>>
>>14702170
>electric cars use less resources
Lel

>>14702295
I'm all for carbs, but your dad sounds like he needs EFI. A true lopey sound is caused by a big cam by the way, not by it's fuel supply, so fix that first. Problem is, a big cam will mean shitty vacuum, so your carbs will likely run like shit, and it's best to go EFI, because that isn't as dependant on engine vacuum.
>>
>>14701302
Because with a carb they're cheaper, there's no fucking with maf or temp sensors, there's no need for an electronic fuel pump that can fail. Sure, efi is easy to tune when you have everything for it, that requires an initial investment in equipment to do so that most people don't already have, a carb requires nothing but a screwdriver for on the fly adjustments. Efi doesn't necessarily make more power either, it's more often better mileage (see properly tuned quadrajets) but not outright better power, not to mention a basic 4bbl quadrajet is good to 750cfm and short of something extremely built that's NA there's no reason or need go upgrade to efi, change your metering rods out at most and adjust secondary springs.
Let's not forget, some people are simply happy with a carb, not everyone feels the need for bigger better technology in their car, ignoring the boomer meme there's plenty of people who love the mechanical genius that is a finely tuned carb setup, or the appeal of the look (inb4 hurrr form function arguement, the entire car world is plagued by these decisions, at least a carb isnt inherently flawed besides mileage). There's something beautiful about dual 4bbl carbs stacked on/under a blower sticking out of the hood of a car too.
tldr they both have drawbacks and advantages, efi isn't the end all be all neither are carbs, people are going to do what they want when and how they want, that's both what makes the car world wonderful while also riddled with objectively bad choices.
>>
>>14702163
BUT WHY?
>>14702169
Bullshit it depends how its tuned or how well its tuned
>>14702170
>Shit battery tech
>Shit range
>Shit weight HEAVY as fuck
There hasnt been a EV car worth owning since the Tesla Roadster
>>14702295
>>14702279
>>14702368
Thanks for actual answers
>>
>>14702398
>BUT WHY?
the swap actually benefits the aspiration of the 4.6l modular. You'd see a bump in who just from the carb swap alone and lord knows CVs need it
>>
>>14702556
>who
Fuck you auto correct

Whp*
>>
>>14702562
>>14702556
oh true i know nothing of the ford modular
>>
>>14702398
>Bullshit it depends how its tuned or how well its tuned
But assuming both are well tuned, they can make just as much power. Carbs can even edge out EFI in some circumstances:
>>14702279
>Atomisation on carbs is generally better iirc, and I suppose because you're compressing your fuel before you inject it, it might pull less heat out of your intake air.
Carbs usually equal lower intake air temp.

>there hasn't been an EV worth owning since WW1
FTFY.
>>
>>14702571
>Carbs usually equal lower intake air temp.
is this because the fuel isnt under high pressure and doesnt heat up as quick before it atomizes?

Is that why some EFI racing cars have fuel system coolers?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
193 KB, 1920x1080
>>14702574
Yes. By compressing the fuel, you add heat, and hot fuel is the worst kind of fuel. This is why DI systems still have a long ways to go, they've got extremely high line pressure.

Also, EFI is relatively lacking in atomisation, thanks to that high injection pressure. A carb's atmospheric pressure is better for that.

Keep in mind, this only applies to cutting naturally aspriated edge racing motors tuned to run at full throttle ALL THE TIME. It's not easily translatable to street cars. Only thing it could really efficiently apply to is a positive displacement supercharged engine, with blowthrough carbs, running on E85 - now that would be a setup that'd have high initial intake air temps, but the carbs would really pull it down, especially so with E85's latent heat of vaporisation. Corn juice really is awesome once your rubber is up to spec, and it's something even the old time carb addicts can adopt to get massive gains.

Captcha: 472
As you wish.
>>
>>14701302
Carb
>$70 at a swap meet
EFI
>$3,000 for a kit
>>
>>14703574

and most of the kits are still shit throttle body setups on a carb manifold. if you want a cheap american v8 with efi best way to go is gm vortec. the efi can be upgraded very easily and cheaply and is at least multi port.
>>
>>14702589
wouldn't the aerosol affect apply and the temperature drop when injected?
>>
>>14703635
Not enough to offset the compression heat, and less so than on the carburetor, because atomisation is better on those.
>>
>>14701466
CAUSE IT SOUNDS MEATY
>>
>>14703645
>because atomisation is better on those.
I don't think so tim
>>
>>14701408
Old people still think computers are like what they were in the early to mid 80s

>>14701444
Ehh. to be honest a carby V8 does sound good and I really want to do a carb conversion on a VH41 or 45. I know they make a manifold for them in NZ
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.