[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to buy a 944, $3500. The city is about 200 miles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 00D0D_3ARM8MmWOwr_600x450.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00D0D_3ARM8MmWOwr_600x450.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
I'm trying to buy a 944, $3500. The city is about 200 miles away, small town, but it does look great. I've never bought from a private party before, only from a dealership. Should I ask for the VIN? Asking questions such as "Has it been in a wreck before?" could easily be falsified. And I've never had to haggle before, so any tips for doing that? I've got the cash in hand already, but paying less is always nice.
>>
don't buy a 944
>>
>>14700950
do you have a trustfund?
>>
File: why-header2_5.png (241 KB, 960x256) Image search: [Google]
why-header2_5.png
241 KB, 960x256
>>14700950
>I'm trying to buy a 944
>>
OP here, I'm buying a 944 cause I love the looks, and I really would like to learn to drive a manual (and refuse to do so in any car, such as a mini-van). I don't want to end up loving to drive a manual, and be stuck with a car I don't like. What's wrong with the 944? I'm not going to modify it, just use it as long as I can.
>>
>>14700950
>>14700979
the car is a shit box. it is unreliable and some parts cost almost as much as the car. if you want to fuck around in a rwd manual shitbox, look for a 240sx, miata, or e36 these things will be much more reliable.
>>
>>14700979
You were probably browsing craigslist and thought "hey, there's a clean looking Porsche for 3 grand, what a steal!", right? The 944 model specifically is a notorious trap for badge whores. It will make cost you out the ass in repairs/maintenance for being a decade-old german car, and an unreliable one at that. There is a 100% chance the person who is selling it realized this and is now cutting their losses.

But go ahead OP, at least you'll have a Porsche.
>>
>>14700979
>I love the looks
So buy an FC
It'll be more reliable
>>
>>14700993

Ouch. Nah, I don't want it for the badge, I want it for the looks. I love cars with sharp edges, as opposed to bubble cars like the G37. Any other cheap, manual, older cars to pick up just to learn? I love the BRZ as well, but that is far too expensive for my budget (I make about $90k, but cars are not my life, I just like them).
>>
>>14700979
>i like the looks
The thing about cars is the good looking ones, especially the cheap ones, are generally shit. Do you have any fucking clue how much it will cost you to fix this thing when something inevitably goes wrong?
>>
>>14701008

Not a single clue. I understand it's a Porsche, but the naive part of me hopes that nothing will break for years (my current car has never broken down one time, and it's a Hyundai). Only had to buy a tire because I ran over a nail.
>>
>>14700950
check
>>14700995

hope it helps
>>
>>14701014
http://jalopnik.com/5682900/now-the-angry-porsche-944-owner-realizes-the-cars-a-nightmare
>>
The problem is not the car but the majority of the owners

>Majority of them never bothered to visit the local Harbor Freight for a complete set of tools for every problem
>They think that air tools are not needed
>They always take it to the 'mechanic' always with the fucking 'mechanic'
>>
It's quite obvious you haven't done much research into this car op... 944's are quite legendary for duping poor teenagers and unsuspecting buyers with the lure of the Porsche badge along side affordability.
>>
buy it, op
learn everything about it, buy manuals and shit, repair and enjoy it.
>>
As a secondary car/project, a 944 isn't the worst choice you could make.

As a daily, fuck no.
>>
own a 944 and love it. cost me $4500
>>
>>14700985

Any other cars? Just not a fan of those...
>>
>>14703358
Rx7 fc was mentioned but it brings a whole slew of other issues with it, even though it's still probably more reliable
>>
>>14700993
Not really, there are really nice 944s, but they also cost thereafter and requires an owner that has taken care of it. Which, since its expensive, is rather rare.
>>
Do it up OP. You will not regret it one bit, even if you are spending a bit more in maintenance. I daily drove one for all of 2015 and beat the snot out of it every time I drove it. Tough little car. Bought mine for 4000. Make sure it has a really clean body. And find out when the belts ha e been changed last. Search google for a Porsche speciality shop or a dealer and take the car there to put on a lift and get some expert advice.
>>
>>14700950

Why have 99 problems when you can have 944?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.