[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /o/ I come to you for help, as I'm sure every other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 2000DodgeDurango.jpg (122 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2000DodgeDurango.jpg
122 KB, 640x480
Hello /o/
I come to you for help, as I'm sure every other useless faggot with auto troubles does. So I apologize in advance if this is anregular annoyance.

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9L V8.
About two weeks ago it started idling all fucked up. After driving it for about 5 minutes, when I came to a stop the car would rev up to about 800-900 RPMs and then sharply drop to 250-ish and then back to 600 RPMs which is its normal idle. Sometimes it would do that two or three times in one sitting. After it did that it rarely did it again for my drive home, which is about 15 minutes. From what I have seen it ONLY does this on my drive home, so I am lead to think that the hotter temperatures later in the day might have something to do with this, but I really don't know.

Friday of last week, it did the same thing at a stop, but when it dropped to 250 RPMs, it just died. It started right up again with no more problems and I got home fine. It did the same thing again yesterday.

I'm really at a loss for what could be causing this because in the 14+ hours I've spent looking this shit up online, I've found 100 different people with the same exact problem, but each fucking person did something different to fix it.
I am but a lowly poorfag and can't afford to just start replacing all sorts of shit.

I've seen people saying to clean/replace the IAC, saying to replace the ECM, saying its the fucking transmission fluid sensor, the fuel pump, the O2 sensor, the EGR valve.
I really just have no idea what the fuck to do.
I've spent my life playing with guns and neglected learning about cars, and I feel I've made a terrible mistake.

Any help or info would be fucking hugely appreciated, and again I apologize if these threads are common from manchilds that don't know vehicles.
>>
>>14693991
Any check engine lights? Tap on the iac valve while it's running and listen for an idle change. Do a power balance test too. Just look it up on YouTube.
>>
>>14694025
Sorry I meant to add that there is no CEL on at all.
I will definitely do the other things you listed, but I have an even more newfaggoty question, should I let the car cool down for a while before fucking with the IAC valve while its running?
I'm sorry for being such a plebeian. Cars just aren't something I know about.
>>
>>14694049
No. Temp doesn't matter.
>>
>>14694076
OK, awesome, thanks a bunch man.
>>
Get on a dodge Durango/Dakota forum always has the fix-it hreads for all my Dakota problems.
Hook up an OBD scanner to to it and see what fault codes it may have?
>>
>>14694124
I checked those forums specifically and unfortunately everyone with that problem did something drastically different to fix it.
One person says one thing, and 4 more say that did that one thing, and it was something else.
Pretty much everything everyone says is being "cancelled out" by multiple others saying thats not what it was on their car.

My buddy is bringing is scanner to work tomorrow to figure out if its throwing any codes.

Haha, I just feel fucking lost with this shit.
>>
>Dodge

Yep that's your main problem right there
>>
You have a minor issue with either fuel or air delivery, probably air since you're describing your issue as low RPMs rather than rough idle. Your IAC is an excellent place to start checking as well as your air filter. Most of the other stuff would have already thrown a CEL.
>>
>>14693991
>can't afford to just start replacing all sorts of shit
Take out and clean your ICV, throttle body, EGR, TPS, etc. It will only cost you $10 in gaskets and by the time you're done, it will be fixed or you will know what the problem is.
>>
>>14695511
>>14695511
>Take out and clean your ICV, throttle body, EGR, TPS
he knows nothing about cars
>>
>>14696157
>Hello /o/
>I come to you for help
He's here asking questions because he wants to learn.
>>
>>14695380
>I like to repeat memes
Dodge is known for most of its engines being dependable. Potential for ECM/sensor errors are present is all cars makes, not just dodge.
>>
>>14693991
He's got one of two problems either your intake manifold gasket on the inside of the engine has cracked or your idle air control valve clogged up check if it's your idle air control valve keep the truck and Park and try to raise it to 1500 RPMs and hold it there if it drops any when is the idle air control valve all it requires is just cleaning it's not then it's the intake manifold pan gasket. Have the same truck and has the same problem
>>
>>14698445

Well since a vehicle it's a set of parts that have to be reliable and work as a whole not just an engine, so yeah dodge it's a shitty car company
>>
>>14698739
I like my dodge.
>>
>>14693991
Had a 5.2L (almost identical) Jeep with same problem. Fixed by running a can of seafoam through and replacing a bad cat (i just cut it off in fact)

Check the usual: emissions systems(EGR/IAC/cats), do a tune up, and clean the IAC.

Do it incrementally, if something gets better temporarily, then worse after you clean it, replace it.
>>
>>14703510

This personally reminds me. OP should run through the basics. Clean your MAF sensor, check for pirate air (areas where air can get in past the MAF sensor), clean your throttle body. Those are three things you can do with a $10 socket set from Wal-Mart and $5-$10 worth of fluids.
>>
>>14693991
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me OP
>>
>>14698739
>Hurrdurr ferd suck
>chebbys rule
Keep spouting memes and fuddlore anon.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.