[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
adjusting mirrors to eliminate blind spots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

decided to try and do this today and i'm fairly confident i have the mirrors adjusted correctly.

does anybody else do this? any reason not to do this?
>>
I took the mirrors off my car because I don't look back
>>
>>14689975
I live my life a quarter mile at a time as well.
>>
I did this but I can't tell if it's foolproof so I still always check my blind spots.
>>
>>14690000
right i wanna be a thousand percent it's foolproof before i do it without doing a check. when a car is passing me i see a sliver of the car in the rear view and i see a good portion of it in the side view so i think it's okay.

how can you tell it's done correctly? i was thinking maybe having someone stand to the side of my car and have them slowly walk past to be sure i can see everything around the car
>>
>>14689961

I tried to do this, but I'm not sure if I did it right. I still look over at my blind spots when I change lanes.

Is the pic just saying to turn your side mirrors out as far as possible?
>>
>>14690011
the way i did it was i turned them out such that there's very little crossover between what the mirrors show. like i said in the post above about the car passing me. i'm hoping there's someone on this board who's done this longer to share some wisdom.
>>
>>14690016

Good, that's what I did too. I also need to test it out. I've messed with them in traffic and tried to see if cars are in full vision, but I would want to test smaller vehicles like motorcycles too.
>>
Is it really that hard to turn your head for a quick second to see? Unless you drive one of the new Camaros, or a fat fuck who uses half a days worth of energy moving your head to look behind you, It isn't difficult to make the head movement. Lazy millennials these days, I swear.
>>
I've done this ever since I got my car but it's drivers side only for a side mirror. Works well for sure. Can't vouch for the angle working on the passenger side though, my car doesn't have one.

Also my tercel is almost all windows with barely any pillars so my rearview catches a lot more than most cars do. So that combined with the properly adjusted driver mirror makes driving comfy. I've been driving like this for two years now and am still paranoid of not checking my shoulder, though. I still check my shoulder on the passenger side for obvious reasons.
>>
>>14690010

You can just pull your car up to another parked car in your neighborhood and use that to adjust for your blind spot.
>>
>>14690049
right?

>>14690076
yeah but with the person i have assurances that i'll be able to see motorcycles in the blindspot too
>>
>>14690055
is there anybody on this board who does this and doesn't do the shoulder check? i mean that's the whole point of doing it yeah?
>>
>>14689961
The biggest problem with this type of adjustment is that you no longer see the side of your car in your mirrors, and loose most of your ability to properly judge where the car is in relation to your own car.

just buy the little convex glue on mirrors, they cover your blindspot 100% and you dont have to create a deadspot with OPs adjustment pic
>>
>>14690126
>The biggest problem with this type of adjustment is that you no longer see the side of your car in your mirrors, and loose most of your ability to properly judge where the car is in relation to your own car.

I've had my mirrors adjusted like this for years and never had this problem.

>>14689961
I have mine adjust to where the body is just out of sight when sitting in a normal position.
>>
>>14690097
I'm the person you quoted and for myself it is more for proper spatial awareness. When you drive like an asshole like I do you need to be able to know everything around you to be relatively safe.

>>14690143
Having it adjusted like you do is probably the best compromise.
>>
>>14690049

Taking your eyes off the road to turn your head around is a significant safety risk. That fraction of a second it takes to look behind you could be the difference between hitting or not hitting the dumbass in front of you who decided to slam on his brakes.
>>
>>14690126
the idea behind this way of adjusting the mirrors is there are no deadspots.
>>
With today's blob cars I'd rather see the car's outline when parking and stuff. If you consider blind spots and issue, simply stop being too lazy to turn your head.
>>
>>14692772

>>14690143 here. You just barely move your head left or right to see the body line while parking the way I have mine adjusted. Idk about you but I drive forward about 99% of the time and don't always have to see my body lines to back in because I have spatial awareness.
>>
>>14692779
Good for you.
>>
>>14692785
Solid argument there, chump.
>>
File: check.jpg (12 KB, 319x267) Image search: [Google]
check.jpg
12 KB, 319x267
>>14690000
Nice quads
>>
>>14690049
ikr
>>
>>14690049
>>14690126
are you guys retarded?
>>14690178 already told you why

>b..but muh parking view!11
well, now that's where you only go, what, 5mph and have ample time to turn your head every which way to assess the situation (protip: you will see the outlines of your car if you move your head an inch then) instead of creating blind spots while doing 30-70mph
>>
>>14692785
>I drive at 10mph on the road and park at 50mph
good for you.
>>
>>14690178
>That fraction of a second it takes to look behind you could be the difference between hitting or not hitting the dumbass in front of you who decided to slam on his brakes.
How am I supposed to check my speed?
How do I check my mirrors?
How do I see things happening off to the side, but still ahead, like that kid playing in their yard?
If you drive with a laser lock on the car ahead, you're fucked. You're even more fucked if you drive so close that if you miss the first 0.0001sec of the cars braking will cause you to hit. Also, what is peripheral vision?
>>
>>14692890
I park often enough and parking spots here are small enough for the dimensions of my vehicle to matter.
>>
>>14692896
>How am I supposed to check my speed?
Go with the flow of traffic.
>>14692896
>How am I supposed to check my speed?
>How do I check my mirrors?
>How do I see things happening off to the side, but still ahead, like that kid playing in their yard?
>what is peripheral vision?
The road is still in your peripheral vision when checking your mirrors and speed, also the kid playing in the yard is also in it if your eyes are looking ahead and not over your shoulder. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>14692765
but it creates a new deadstop, one behind you.
>>
>>14692920
i can see the stuff behind me in my rear view mirror
>>
>>14692920
>wat is a rearview mirror

Look at OPs image again, the yellow car behind is clearly still visible.
>>
I have my mirrors set up like this but I still check over my shoulder because I'm a pussy who's afraid of running into things.
>>
>>14690126
>you no longer see the side of your car in your mirrors, and loose most of your ability to properly judge where the car is in relation to your own car
Are you a woman? I'm being totally serious here since they have vastly poorer spatial awareness.
>>
>>14689961
Adjusting side mirrors for a rearward view directly behind the car never made sense to me since that's what the rearview mirror was for.

I've talked to people who did do that and their explanation basically amounted to "It makes parking easier."
>>
>>14689961
I don't adjust them in a way I can totally see the cars in the blind spots since my garage is between pillars and it's a bit tight to maneuver so I need to see my rear arches.
>>
>>14693320
Along a curb it helps a bit, especially while parallel parking. Otherwise it's personal preference
>>
>>14692911
>I'm too lazy to turn/move my head while parking at a crawl yet I trust myself to do this while going at highway speeds
>I am not a good enough driver to park
pick both
>>
>>14692787
>on 4chan
>looking for an argument
>imblying you have the high ground
>>
>>14693874
You're doing driving wrong if you get within a foot of other cars on the highway.
>>
get a Broadway panoramic rearview mirror. fucking thing is amazing m8
>>
>>14690178
If you are driving, even on the freeway at 75 mph, you should have time to look away for a second. If you are in a situation where you can't even look over to check your blind spots, you shouldn't change lanes, barring emergency evasion.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.