[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever encountered a problem with overfilling the oil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: FH14SEP_MTROIL_07.jpg (24 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
FH14SEP_MTROIL_07.jpg
24 KB, 450x450
Have you ever encountered a problem with overfilling the oil? I just bought a used cheap car off Craigslist that was leaking oil bad. Turns out the previous owner overfilled it ridiculously, it had 8 QUARTS of oil when it should only have 5! The car still ran without any noticeable issues aside from the leak though, and it seemed to be coming from the rear main seals.

So far I've changed the oil, put new ones of the right amount and driven it a few miles and it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore with no other issues. But it's nuts that it even ran with too much oil like that.
>>
>>14686517
Never had issues with overfilling. Also looked at the manual and found the capacity and filled to that amount. I'm surprised it didn't lock up the motor being 3 quarts over.
>>
>>14686517
a lot of cars can get away with a half a quart or one. and if going hooning or somewhere with a lot of twisties its recommended.

but add too much it begins frothing
>>
File: 1040-PNG1.png (392 KB, 385x800) Image search: [Google]
1040-PNG1.png
392 KB, 385x800
>>14686573
>>14686568
Well my car didn't get through it unscathed, unfortunately it's still leaking. I just looked underneath and a puddle of oil is there. The rear seals looked like they're fucked. Will this stuff help fix it?
>>
>>14686948
It will fuck your engine up so badly that you will be forced to take it out and do it right. So yes.
>>
>>14686948
Can you use a heavier oil?
>>
Nope I use a pitcher. Check how much your car(s) use, buy a plastic pitcher, use a measuring cup to pour in that amount of water into the pitcher, mark the line with a sharpie and what car it's for (if applicable), dry thoroughly.
Now you'll never have to remember or think about it ever again. Just make sure you cover it so no dust gets in.
>>
Yes. About 3 litres too full.

I drained all the oil, changed filters and did some other crap which involved taking the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) and accidentally cracked it.

So i got it in the trailer and dropped it off a my mechanics to get a replacment Pully and put it on.

I told them id Chuck it back in the trailer and take it home.

Got it home, knew it needed oil to be finished. Know my engine takes 3.1Ls.. Poured 3 litres in and Popped the cap on.

Started up fine, 5 minutes warm up no problems. OK cool. Going to go get lunch.

Drive the car down the Street and redline it a bit for the lols. The smoke, there was so much smoke.

Back home, check levels.. Oh fuck.

Drain 3 litres and Carey in AS usual.
>>
File: polymerized.jpg (72 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
polymerized.jpg
72 KB, 400x300
>>14686948
This shit should be illegal to sell.
>>
>>14687493
Looks sealed to me! LoL

...and I lol as someone driving a 5.2 Magnum with a rear main seal leak

Anyway about the only thing overfilling will do is froth, burn and clog your cat
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.