[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
home mechanic tools thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: img002.jpg (53 KB, 633x418) Image search: [Google]
img002.jpg
53 KB, 633x418
Looking to get an air compressor and I need opinions. But to make it more /o/ related let's have a home mechanic tools thread. So post tool questions, tool suggestions, comments and all that kind of shit.
>>
It will be used for light garage work, so airing tires, blowing particulate off of stuff, eventually powering some light duty air impact/wrench/hammer/etc and other stuff like that. Nothing super demanding or needing to be run for minutes at a time with no stopping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003S81T7O
Campbell Hausfeld HL540100AV $200
8 gallon rolling tank
125 psi
1.3 HP oiled
4.5cfm @40psi, 3.7cfm @90psi
>largest capacity, oiled so quieter, highest cfm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5UHK0
PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK $140
6 gallon pancake tank
150 psi
Unknown oilless
3.5cfm @40psi??, 2.6cfm @90psi
>Includes hose and accessories, cheapest, probably most compact

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOSCDPA
California Air Tools 5510SE$190
5.5 gallon rolling tank
120 psi
1 HP oilless
3.1CFM @40PSI, 2.2CFM @90PSI
>dual piston, only 60db when running, underclocked due to dual pistons for longevity and power savings (only 8.5 amps)
>>
File: image_24032[1].jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_24032[1].jpg
114 KB, 1200x1200
>>14685690

this

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html
>>
>>14686015
I live in Alaska so Harbor Freight isn't an option unfortunately. If it was I probably would have gotten that one already
>>
>>14685690
i started with a 25l 1.5hp oil-less and it was acceptable for running a 1/2" impact wrench, air drill, inflator, blowgun and paint gun.

the die grinder and finger file were too thirsty for babbys first compressor so eventually upgraded to a cheapass 3hp 90l belt-driven oiled (wolf dakota £250) and it's a far better machine, it's quieter, pumps up faster to higher pressure, and runs tools longer.
>>
Campbell-Hausfeld is okay but except for the one the first guy posted they usually don't have a CFM and you'll only be using it at 90 psi so don't even look at the 40 rating
>Air tools
Ingersoll Rand is the only answer to any question. Their base model double hammer will most likely last you life and small parts like the socket retainer clip can be purchased from like Snap-On for a few bucks. Just oil it periodically.
>>
>>14686331
*base model impact gun

oh and buy a 1/2" 2 foot minium breaker bar if the gun doesn't get it off and a breaker bar doesn't, you're doing something wrong
>>
>>14686028
If you're ordering online can't you order from hobo friend? Harbor freight is my go to place for tools. If I was a professional mechanic, welder, or other tradesman than I would buy quality tools. But as a weekend warrior type I don't see the point. When I can buy 3 grinders at hf for the price of one grinder with a brand name. And you're stupid to think your dewalt won't burn out just as easy as anything else. Plus a lifetime warranty on all hand tools.
>>
File: suckmcsuckyton.jpg (105 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
suckmcsuckyton.jpg
105 KB, 1200x1200
Fucking stripped heads son
>>
>>14685697

I bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPK

Makita MAC2400 $300
4.2 gallon tank
130 psi
2.5 HP oiled
4.8cfm @ 40psi 4.2cfm @ 90psi

I like it. Good for blowing stuff off and airing up tires. Too small of a tank to run an impact or paint anything, though it'll run an undercoating gun without much trouble. It's really designed to run framing/brad/roofing nailers, but it works well enough for me.

For impact wrenches and hammers, I'd honestly just recommend getting something cordless. You can take it to the junkyard, the compressor doesn't make noise when you use it, the newer/nicer ones have as much or more power than the average air gun on a DIY size compressor, and they last plenty long enough for a full days worth of work. Specifically talking about the Milwaukee that has 700 lb-ft of torque in forward, 1100 lb-ft in reverse. Pretty much any other air tool can be sourced in an electric cordless/corded version, and will likely have similar or better performance compared to the air powered version.

Only reason I see to buy a big tank is if you already have a shitload of air tools or plan on doing a lot of painting.
>>
>>14685690
Do you think the engine crane can lift that ham planet behind it?
>>
>>14685690
Not sure I'd bother with an impact wrench/big compressor if I had my time again. Battery operated impact guns are tremendously usefully, and more powerful than most air driven impact guns too.

I mean if you want to spraypaint later on you'll need a compressor, but otherwise, save the compressor money and spend it on an electric rattle gun instead.
>>
>>14688187
>using a shifter instead of spanners
>>
Really thinking about getting a compact electric impact. Not sure what one to get though, Milwaukee M12s get great reviews but i dunno
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.