[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A subjest is needed when a Mustang dies 3 minutes into Australian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/ford-mustang-loses-its-police-stripes-after-overheating-within-minutes-of-a-simulated-pursuit/news-story/13e4b07005fa5bc3b3da6563d0a0fea3

>[...] however the automatic transmission overheated after just two laps, or about three minutes of driving. The Mustang was then taken to the local Ford dealership in Goulburn for repairs after the performance flagship went into “limp home mode”.

>NSW Police are now likely to be driving Volvo sedans and wagons
>>
File: 1177639298080.jpg (148 KB, 600x1800) Image search: [Google]
1177639298080.jpg
148 KB, 600x1800
>2 door car with backseats that can only fit midgets being used as a police car

Why?
>>
>>14682251
High speed pursuit, then they call the Commos and Falcons to come and apprehend
>>
>>14682264
Why bother with a high speed pursuit? It's not like there's a car that can outrun a radio, or a helicopter.

High speed pursuit cars are more of a excuse for policemen to have exciting cars and look good for the media than anything else.
>>
>>14682264
Should have just stuck with the turbo coons and v8 commos.
>>
>>14682322
This article isn't about how stupid it is to have a mustang police car. It's about how shit it is
>>
>>14682322
You just answered your own question m8

>>14682324
Can't, gotta get used to the new tank yank
>>
>>14680880
You cant apprehend a suspect with these. Its retarded.
>>
>>14682217
>automatic transmission
Found your problem
>>
>>14682381
>female and nu-male police officers
>>
>>14682381

There are plenty of strong auto transmissions that can hold up to abuse as well if not better than manuals.

I think
>mustang
was the real problem.
>>
too bad, i was hoping to flee from the police by going around a corner at 60kmh
>>
>>14682381

The mustang Automatic is stronger than the Manual.
>>
>>14682381
>cops
>shift

You know better than that.
>>
>>14682217
>Driving coupes for police cars
Literally why
>>
>>14682381
>cop goes to change gear
>accidentally shoots someone instead
>2 years stress leave with full pay and weekly visits to shrinks because of incompetence

perfect plan
>>
>>14682463
cops used chargers as pursuit cars back in the 70's, theres just been no high performance coupe from the big automakers like Ford or GM since

They should just stick with using an FGx XR8. Its not like australians can own much faster anyway and for pursuit cars its fine. The fact that helicopters can be used makes high speed pursuits safer anyway, cops just want a hoon box just like the rest of us
>>
File: lol.png (21 KB, 354x342) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
21 KB, 354x342
>>14682505
pretty sure this isn't an american story
>>
>>14682322
You've obviously never been on an Australian highway
>>
>>14682352
It's not a paddy Wagon
It's to chase down someone on the highway

>inb4 helicopters
No helicopters in rural areas, unless you want to wait an hour for one to fly in from a city

> inb4 radios
There is usually only one or two hwp officers per like 600km stretch of highway
Radios aren't gonna shit
>>
>>14682506
>They should just stick with using an FGx XR8
Its going out of production- that's the whole point of testing it because the coon and commo are not going to be made any more.

>>14682555
>Radios aren't gonna shit
Actually they use some pretty decent base stations that act as relay boosters to get some range, so its not a point to point CB or HF system.

But for the most part it comes down to cost, choppers are expensive fuckers to have in the air and people have to remember the distances involved in Australia.
>>
>>14682645
just because its going out of production doesn't mean its performance is obselete. They can stand to use the out of production FG x for a few more years until a really good high performance sedan becomes available. Heck, maybe they should go with the Volvo because the cars they're going to use aren't even helping local industries anymore, may aswell start importing them
>>
What car should the upside-down-burgers police drive?
>>
>>14682715
>aren't even helping local industries anymore
because selling cars to cops was profitable and helping the local industry /sarcasm

It's all about advertising, manufacturers don't make shit on those deals.
>>
>>14682715
Its simply a case of long term fleet structures and modernisation

If their hand's forced to change, may as well get something now which will have some kind of future. The cars they've got will remain in circulation until the end of of their service life, but after that they're done.
>>
>>14682744
Google™ Self Driving Vehicles®

fits in with the nanny state asshattery
>>
>>14682790
how about i google ya mum
>>
>>14682744
Camry
>>
>>14682744
VB Commodore
>>
>>14682794
624,000 results come up for "ya mum" and i can guarantee not one of them is my mum
>>
>>14682217
>volvo sedans LOL
Ill just drive away faster lol same thing happened when a fucking toyota aurion cop car tried to pull me over i just floored it and he couldnt even keep up
>>
>>14682264
I think you mean iLoads and Transporters
>>
>>14682920
I'll bust an iLoad into your mouth
>>
>>14682864
You have to turn safe search off.
>>
>>14682322
>Implying you can't run from PolAir on foot.
>Implying police don't have to hold the pursuit until PolAir can get on it.
>Implying moving hostage abductions aren't a thing
>Implying the media don't tear strips off the cops after every pursuit
>Non police talking authoritatively on any police subject.
Lol.
>>
>>14682217
>automatic
Found the problem
>>
>>14682864
thats because a picture of your mom is too big to fit on a monitor
>>
>>14682942
yeah but that would only get him results for your mom.
>>
>>14683156
I should learn to read the thread completely before replying.

I wonder why this hasn't been reported by enthusiast publications? Also could they be used if fitted with a transmission cooler? Would be cheaper than not using them and buying new cars.
>>
>>14682322
because Australians can't afford FLIR or helichopters.
>>
As someone who actually has ran from the cops in australia, let me clear up a few things.

>You cannot ever run in heavy traffic. Don't even try, they will fuck you up and when you are caught the penalties will be worse.
>It is entirely possible to escape from the cops, assuming you meet the criteria. I'm about to tell you how. It's not impossible, but still pretty hard.

First things first, plate detection. I don't know about other states but here in victoria, plate detection applies only to highway patrol cars and is limited by a range distance of about 200 meters.

There's numerous mods you can do to make your plate visible at close range and immune to the computer recognition unless you're close, which i won't explain here.

The first criteria to meet is
>Make sure the police do not have your plates. If they do, there's no point running. If they do not, proceed to phase 2

If you are out in the country, on a freeway, or in suburban streets, you can just take a corner(s) extremely hard and break line of sight. Once line of sight is broken, you must hide. And hide all night.

The most important thing to do is breaking that line of sight. If you're not in a position to break it, you don't meet the 2nd criteria.

I've done this often, but it requires both a powerful car with upwards of 500hp and needs to be able to handle well, if you want to outperform highway patrol.

General duties coppers are easier to evade, of course.
>>
>>14682744
EB falcons and VN commodores. They'll become great boong mechanics and entire fleets of 5000 vehicles would only cost the state $400, a slab of woodstocks and a few loose winnie blues.
>>
>>14683397
This will cover 99% of all chases. But the next is a extreme case which i want to talk about, as it comes from personal experience.

>Running from the helicopter

Very rarely will victoria bring out a helicopter. Usually, only when they already have it out for their blitz or you are on a crime spree will it be out.

I was heading to MT buller for snow season, and speeding about 140-150. I have a modification to my plates to make them invisible from the air, but still readable. I noticed the chopper in the air for the blitz and realized i did not have long before highway patrol came for me. I also did not have enough fuel for a long pursuit and eventually they would get ahead of me.

The same principal applies as i said above, you must hide.

So i zipped into the actual mountains and then took my car offroad. I slightly damaged it during the process, but the chopper broke visual and thought that i was continuing up the mountain.

Highway patrol then went up the mtn, while i waited the whole day in hiding, before eventually leaving my spot.

It is entirely possible to run from a chopper, but you need to be near mountians and then remember, they're waiting on the other side. So take a backroad, one of the many 4wd tracks. Yes it will fuck your car up, but better you hide there for a bit and call a mate for a tow a day later than get fucking impounded by vic's crazy hoon laws.
I hope this helps for anyone considering running in australia or victoria, also remember victoria does not engage pursuits above 150km/h now, so it's easier than ever to run if they don't have your plates. They will still hang back though and try and cut you off, so remember the golden rules.

>Long pursuits are bad
>Try and minimize as much time as possible
>Hide as quickly as possible
>Predict them cutting you off up the road, take unorthodox paths, not predictable ones
>>
>>14683235
I'm sure it could be fixed if Ford cared enough about the law enforcement market to do so. Historically, Ford has been the also-ran in the law enforcement market with Mopar being the leader and GM in the middle. The Crown Victoria only became the leading cop car because it sort of became the last man standing so to speak.
>>
>>14683456
>Will never be a 70's cop driving a Polara and carrying a Python
>>
I think there might be more to this story then what been reported as Mustang has been on sale for over a year now and this is first reported case of transmission cooling issues. Also the ford rep said that unlike the current in service falcons no modifications were made to the vehicle. So it looks like the fault could be a one off or the cops are looking for a reason to disqualify the vehicle given their already stated preference for the Volvo
>>
>american cars are shit

What a surprise
>>
>>14683397
may i ask what car you used? were the cops able to keep up?
>>
>>14683440
interesting thanks for posting
>>
>>14684540
Yeah nah, mate. HWP are a mix of paid hoons and no-fun cunts who never got invited to parties as a kid.

They want the Mustang more than Shorten wants the gay vote.
>>
>>14684786
>What car
VN Commodore 3.8L

>Could they keep up?
Hell no
>>
>>14682217
>automatic
>""""""""""""""performance""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>14682322
Helicopters aren't actually that fast. Only the newer ones can break 150mph.
>>
>>14684935
Old helicopters can break 150mph, and go more than that.

No idea about the helicopters that police use though.
>>
>>14682429
Actual gears > squeezy rings
Manual > auto
>>
>>14682217

Why don't they just buy a Chevy Corvette for this job?
>>
>>14685381
Its wronghand drive and the burgers don't seem to know how to make it RHD.

As it stands now, Merc, BMW, Volvo, Audi and Chrysler are the ones still in the game for a Hwy Patrol car. Cops here also cycle them through every 3yr or 60,000km- depending on what comes first.
Something of a side note, NZ are also looking for a replacement as they mostly use Falcon/Commodore as well.
>>
>>14685381

because australian GM makes cars far better than the kentuckyboat
>>
File: et_tu_cuckus.png (498 KB, 630x1160) Image search: [Google]
et_tu_cuckus.png
498 KB, 630x1160
>>14686750
>anything Aussie
>better than the Better

Stop taking a piss, cunt
>>
>>14686924
*Vette
>>
File: eyeroll.gif (375 KB, 490x360) Image search: [Google]
eyeroll.gif
375 KB, 490x360
what's up with american cars and overheating
>>
File: corvette.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
corvette.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>14686750
To be fair, the wheels don't fall off all of the time.
>>
>>14686955
americans are not allowed to drive fast so the government limits how fast they can drive
yes, the car can go faster but not for long times
this way there is no one who will notice
it is also why the FBI is happy to have all the new electronic cars so they can apply brakes remotely for speeders
>>
>>14686960

>corvette actually turns
>it loses a fucking wheel

TOP FUCKING KEK
>>
>>14686739
They seem to have picked toyota aurions.
>>
>>14682322
The highway patrol cars are a deterrent as much as anything.
>>
>>14682324
And what do they do after 2017 when the supply dries up?
>>
>>14683440
>crime spree

I've always loved those two words together.
>>
>>14688085
>toyota aurions.
They'd probably do pretty good for general duties stuff, not a bad car but they're not exactly blisteringly fast.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.