[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning on buying an SUV for towing cars with a trailer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: differential-awd.gif (35 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
differential-awd.gif
35 KB, 400x300
I'm planning on buying an SUV for towing cars with a trailer so these are heavy loads, does it matter whether it's RWD or AWD? Does AWD tow better or there's not that much difference than RWD?
>>
>>14682152
how often are you towing? are we talking a tow dolly or a 3 car trailer?

AWD/4x4 reduces towing capacity by eating into your GVWR.
>>
>>14682152
RWD for towing
>>
>>14682152
Rwd would be better choice, but a light pickup from any manufacturer would be an even better choice, in every way I look at it. Why SUV?
>>
Awd is more weight, more complicated, drive train components are usually thinner as well. RWD is fine and good for all pavement and drit road towing.
>>
>>14682337
>Why SUV?
Because fuck you, thats why.
>>
>>14682485
SUV's usually have weaker rear suspensions for better ride quality, not good for towing though.
>>
File: DSC_0103-1.jpg (65 KB, 639x428) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0103-1.jpg
65 KB, 639x428
>>14682337
Because I plan on driving through several states in trips that take up to a week, and I want to be able to sleep inside it if I have to.
>>
>>14684147
Crew cab a 2500 or f250 at least and sleep in the back seat they make special inflatable beds for such a purpose
>>
>>14685868
I'm also paranoid about people stealing my stuff though, if I just leave it in the back.
>>
File: 2002-Mercury-Mountaineer_17428.jpg (128 KB, 1200x657) Image search: [Google]
2002-Mercury-Mountaineer_17428.jpg
128 KB, 1200x657
Also would a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer work fine for towing? I found one for cheap on Craigslist, it's got a 4.6L V8 engine but it's AWD.
>>
Get a truck with a bed topper. But if you're stuck on SUV get rwd and then instantly invest in airbags for the back. And be ready to buy a new tranny. SUVs are made so families don't have to buy minivans. They're not made to pull and they're Hardy made to go off-road.
>>
>>14687592
Have you confused crossovers with SUVs?

OP, suburban or nothing. Seriously. Same platform as the trucks, same options, same drivetrains. For God's sake my 1990 suburban came from the factory with helper springs and a tranny cooler. A late 90s suburban would be good, the vortec engines make better power than the TBI and you should be able to find one with the 4l80e transmission. Better yet, look for one with a 454 (vortec 7400).
>>
File: miU2jw-5olM89QmB5G_suQg.jpg (13 KB, 225x169) Image search: [Google]
miU2jw-5olM89QmB5G_suQg.jpg
13 KB, 225x169
Ford excursion with the 7.3 diesel, or maybe the 6.0 after the "bullet proof" fix, don't buy the 6.0 unless it's been fixed or you're planning on fixing it

It's a suv, it's a truck, it's both!
>>
80 series and stfu
>>
Sonce you said these will be "heavy" loads makes me think that you're going to want to have a gooseneck trailer, which effectively eliminates SUV's and fir shit fetting stolen out of the bed install a toolbox takes like 30 minutes to do.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.