[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ I want to boost my car. Engine is a Honda K24. My question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11
File: 7385.jpg (76 KB, 567x340) Image search: [Google]
7385.jpg
76 KB, 567x340
Hey /o/ I want to boost my car. Engine is a Honda K24. My question is, what will be the most reliable for everyday driving between a supercharger and a turbo? Trusted companies make both for my specific engine and money is not an issue. I know any F/I increases engine wear and can cause issues down the line. But I'd like your opinions on what will be the most durable and dependable for my 50 mile a day commute.
>>
Both
>>
>>14677362
At the same time?
>>
Leafblower
>>
>>14677349
if money isn't a problem, just buy another car
>>
>>14677349
I'd say a turbo is more dependable overall because it has fewer moving parts, and in an emergency, you can still operate your vehicle even if it's completely fucked up.
>>
>>14677432
Love my car, not gonna happen.
>>
>>14677349
Turbo is infinitely more adaptable and more easily repaired than supercharger.

Blow up a turbo? order a ching chong to get you by until you can afford another bw 60/60 or just ditch the turbo and make a cheap and dirty downpipe from the turbo outlet to the exhaust.

Blow up a supercharger? better order another 1500$ one. Not much option there unless you want to take it off, put your old intake back on and put your old pulley system back on.

Plus your pretty limited with a supercharger, not that they cant make power but its not as easy.

Your also going to eat more fuel with a supercharger, a turbo is more load dependent.
>>
File: GT2560R-60Trim.jpg (78 KB, 515x634) Image search: [Google]
GT2560R-60Trim.jpg
78 KB, 515x634
>>14677349
>increases engine wear
most turbo installs the engine gets oil gets some of the metal flecks from the turbo bearing

>issues down the line
turbo impelers spin very fast makeing them more prone to oiling and alighnment issues
over-spool can be an issue the blow off valve is there to act as a governor to prevent this but still

worst case is the air fuel ratio goes lean and a super knock ruins your day
or sometimes the impeller blade can explode

I guess another thing superchargers do not have to deal with so much is heat cycling and other thermal issues
>>
File: HH15_r0003_19[2].jpg (300 KB, 2500x961) Image search: [Google]
HH15_r0003_19[2].jpg
300 KB, 2500x961
>>14677362

Going with both, get a supercharger with a bypass valve so you can set it to electronic clutch off while the turbo does its job.
Guy with a procharged mustang has this setup, with twin turbos.
It's fucking fast, for a 4.6 with 3 power adders.
>>
File: b16 vortech.jpg (52 KB, 586x440) Image search: [Google]
b16 vortech.jpg
52 KB, 586x440
>>14677362
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk_4U3KEga4
if you really want to fuck your shit up
but I don't think its been done to a k24 yet
>>
>>14677541
Your full of shit, blow off valves are not on the engine to control anything other than release excess pressure when the throttle blade is closed, not to prevent any kind of engine damage.

Metal flakes in the oil? dont buy a shitty turbo and dont run shitty oil and you wont have any issues. You could have the same issue with a centrifugal supercharger if its fed oil by the engine.
>>
>>14677349
forced induction never gives the acceptable amounts of throttle response for me, a supercharger can get away with giving mediocre boost without needing an intercooler, so there can be less to go wrong in that sense, they are both dependable, individual throttle bodies is the best way to unleash the power and sound your engine instead of really adding anything much to it (obviously throttle bodies), its more just changing what it already has (intake manifold), for this reason I always would take ITB's over any kind of forced induction, lighter weight and more responsive, thats the way I like my cars.
>>
>>14677537
Wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>14679560
Itbs are meme tier
Enjoy spending thousands of dollars to gain 10hp on your miata when you could have spent half of that on a turbo and tripled the factory output
>>
File: 09082008162.jpg (87 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
09082008162.jpg
87 KB, 800x600
>>14677349
turbo is fantastic because you dont always need to run boost, my GT4 is surprisingly efficient when "nana'd" pic related
>>
>>14677437
im no profesional, but the supercharger is more durable aside from the belt which should be replaced regularly anyways isnt it?
>>
>>14677537
um..... i would think the supercharger SAVES fuel unless your strictly stomping the gas around every corner like a child

>>14679557
" blow off valves are not on the engine to control anything other than release excess pressure when the throttle blade is closed"

what the fuck do u think a governor is you dumb fuck
>>
I was told a supercharger works best for lower rpms, while turbo is better for the higher end. so both
>>
File: 1436771922435.jpg (47 KB, 657x600) Image search: [Google]
1436771922435.jpg
47 KB, 657x600
>superchargers generate more heat than turbo chargers
>are parasitic in nature compared to free energy from exhaust gas
>need extensive modification in order to work
>cost upto twice as much as a great turbo kit

the other fucked up thing about superchargers is they have as much variance as turbos and a/r's

tl;dr Superchargers are inefficient, expensive, and unnecessary when increasing power through forced induction
>>
>>14682676

Superchargers aren't expensive for certain models of vehicles, they've gotten to the point where it turns into a bolt on pack and at most you have to shave an engine mold or two off.
Look at the 2016 ford racing stage 1 for the mustang.

If you're hardcore enough you can also turn the supercharger off with a clutch. Which is what I've helped work with a procharger. But it takes some more plumbing.
>>
>>14682698
they're usually more expensive than a comparable turbo kit, they typically perform worse than comparable turbo kits, and the gas mileage penalty compared to turbos, it's a deprecated technology
>>
>>14677349

Turbo all the way.

Superchargers are a meme.
>>
File: 3vs4lobe.jpg (87 KB, 600x257) Image search: [Google]
3vs4lobe.jpg
87 KB, 600x257
>>14677349

Engineer here. Worked a few years at Eaton supercharger advanced group and now Garrett in diesel development.

I cant speak for the lysholm you have pictured but any Eaton s/c is good for 100k+. The oil and bearings are designed too exceed the typical manufacturer 100k warranty and are durability tested usually at a minimum of 400 hours on a rough cycle. You don't have to worry about tapping into the oil circuit of the engine and the worst that can happen is rotor/housing contact if the aluminum expands into the bearing plate. This will seize the s/c immediately and usually doesnt send chunks down the intake manifold. However, unless you're running over 2.4 PR (35 PSi) you wont have this happen. Key is to keep outlet temps below 180C as aluminum starts to really grow. The lysholm efficiency is drastically lower than the roots style though. Eaton added abradable coating to the rotors that took out a lot of the clearance meaning better flow and less energy converted to heat. I would definitely look into a roots kit if it existed. I prefer instant torque and with a vacuum actuated bypass valve your only losses are on the belt which aren't that much. For DD duty I would definitely S/C

(cont. for turbos)
>>
>>14682757

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-627hp-sc-manual-2015gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hellion-twinturbo-complete-kit-2015gt.html

It seems you're quite ignorant, look at these links. The pulley on this supercharger can be changed to allow more boost. Same for the wastegate on that supercharger. But the safe area for both is under 700 horsepower. Anymore and they'll both destroy the stock engine, in a few ten thousand miles. But they both can get you into the 1000hp range.
The Hellion kit still needs dyno tuning, the ford supercharger claims to work safely without.

inb4 no true scotsman
>>
>>14677425
CHOPPED!
>>
>>14682757

And you've never experienced a blower combo. You are strictly on the bench, and as a result you only play with simulated numbers. If the numbers look better, then the combo must be better, but that's not the case. Driving pleasure is subjective.

People buy blowers because of the feeling, the sudden pull of the Portkey on your navel every stomp of the loud pedal. If your idea of driving is achieving an arbitrary number in your mind then yes, there is no comparison to turbosupercharging.

But for a pants shitting drive every time, nothing beats a dirty Roots on displacement. It's simply a vastly different delivery of power and torque to the turbocharger and there are a lot of drivers out there that love that feeling.

Tried roots on SBC, then nitrous, then turbo, then toojayzee. Turbo was faster than nitrous, toojay faster than turbo SBC. But hands down the roots blower was by far the best to drive, the best feeling.

>>14682629

> Another power hungry device driven by PTO
> Saving fuel

No. Bolt the blower on and consumption goes up. Let the blower breath and you may as well not worry about it. My blown SBC was about 30-34 L/100Km but far out, your arsehole is going like a rabbit's nose in third.
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (31 KB, 638x638) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
31 KB, 638x638
>>14682629
>what the fuck do u think a governor is you dumb fuck
>>
File: blough.jpg (244 KB, 1200x726) Image search: [Google]
blough.jpg
244 KB, 1200x726
>>14682779

As for turbos, everyone else here has touched on them quite a bit. There's much more development done on them (think thousands of engineers,phd's,etc vs a few hundred on s/c) and there is far more selection. You can get one that will far exceed a s/c in terms of efficiency and if you buy a decent kit it will last the same as a s/c and your engine. Light weight materials and better journal bearing / ball bearing designs have eliminated most of the lag but i've driven both the cobalt ss t/c and s/c versions and i still prefer the s/c. My current wrx still pisses me off with the lag but you can't argue with fluid mechanics and physics.

Key point here is don't buy china shit if you want the durability. Borgwarner, IHI, continental, Garrett, these will last. You can have fun with both a S/c and t/c, both have their respective strengths and weaknesses. For DD i'd take the s/c but for the track its a t/c. Good luck.
>>
>>14682629

The governor, if fitted, prevents overspeed. Modern engines are electronically governed. The governor is not involved with density.
>>
>>14677537
superchargers are also load dependent,
>>
>>14682824
te supercharger at best makes you lose 2 MPG maybe 3. i doubt anyone here cares about 2 / 3 MPG i know because ih ave driven multiple supercharged vehicles. once you give it some real gas and it starts throwing out some boost thats another story all on its own.

i prefer a supercharger over a turbo 8 days out of the week.

>>14682858
oh look. you missed the entire point
>>
Op here.
I'v decided on buying the stage 1 CT-e supercharger bolt on kit. Adds approximately 80whp with a custom tune running 7lbs of boost. Comes with a 2 year warranty, $3.7k.
>>
>>14677425
because Roadkill
>>
File: The-governor.png (2 MB, 1072x1220) Image search: [Google]
The-governor.png
2 MB, 1072x1220
>>14682629

I know what the fucking governor is numb nuts.
>>
>>14682990

Oh look, you don't know how things work. The turbocharger has no mechanical device slowing it's rotation, therefore it has no governor.

Have a quick think, you mongoloid. Not only do things not work how you think they work, but they can't work that way if you could think about it.

Find me a BOV that opens under pressure and I'll point out that's probably a wastegate, or the cunt's fucked.

You open a valve fore of the throttle body but aft of the compressor. This allows charge air to escape after the compressor. This reduces the impedance of air present on the compressor, resulting in the compressor's speed increasing.

Further, this reduces the density present in the intake manifold. The wastegate reduces aperture to suit, and increases turbocharger shaft speed to make up for the decrease in density. This pushes the turbocharger faster to make the same amount of density. On the plot, the point moves to the right indicating an increase in flow without moving up to show an increase of PR. This pushes the turbocharger outside of the efficiency islands and creates both an overspeed and overtemp problem.

It's called going arse backwards. Turning a compressor faster than required to reach target while increasing EMP because some dickhead opened a valve to purge charge air is not really a good thing, champ.

If the 'blow off valve' worked as you described by venting compressed charge air it would temporarily open a leak, overspeeding the compressor. It would not slow the compressor down as you think it does. It unequivocally cannot slow the compressor down as you think.

With the supercharger, any device driving a load with a PTO will consume more energy than the same device without a PTO. As said, my blown SBC drank guzzolene between 30-34L/100K. Same motor without the device was more conservative around the 22-25L/100K.

It's good that you prefer a blower as it helps show that driving isn't all about numbers and figures, it's about the driving pleasure.
>>
>>14683855
made my night, fuck you i cant argue
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.