[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineerfag here who plans a career in the automotive field.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
Engineerfag here who plans a career in the automotive field. What company do you think has the most potential for a great future? I'm currently living in Bavaria so BMW or Audi would be a good option for me but I'm very ok with relocating even to the US if I find the chance.
>>
Your first step should be not to ask 4chan.
>>
>>14673343
>>
File: 1455199532595.jpg (47 KB, 473x424) Image search: [Google]
1455199532595.jpg
47 KB, 473x424
>>14673343
Why not. There are not many other places to find lots of car enthusiasts where you can ask without showing all manufactors who asked such a stupid question to put him on the black-list.
>>
Mazda also Japan will the only place not overrun by brown people
>>
>>14673335
Do you really want to work for any car company that churns out shitboxes with too many driver aids and eventually self-driving cars?
>>
Engineer in the auto industry here.

I work in the American auto industry, and I can say that a lot of the work will be moving to China within the next 10 years. There will be many vehicle builds here, but in terms of the component design (i.e. cylinder head) they will be done in China.

I would be apprehensive of Audi/VW due to the emissions scandal. The fines haven't hit, and their sales are down. I forsee layoffs there. BMW will be solid more than likely but their numbers are much, much smaller than something like GM or Ford. Honestly, any of the auto manufacturers will be fine to get into though apart from some of the Korean automakers. Make sure you emphasize adaptivity and effective group work both in office and through long distance (i.e. working with engineers in China).
>>
Ford and GM set up new offices in Silicon Valley
>>
>>14673361
Well I suppose it is a great challenge to create those cars in future. Lots of movement and changes. That is what I'm excited about even I prefer driving an old shit car without any modern assistent systems.

>>14673373
Thanks a lot for the advice. Gonna keep that in mind.
>>
>>14673390

Research lab for electronics. I'm talking component design for the engine, transmission, suspension, etc. Bodywork will more than likely stay here and have the builds here as well.
>>
>tfw software engineer fag
>Want to get into embedded development and bits of autonomous car development
where do i even start though? from what i hear automotive software is really hard to get into and most manufacturers never hire outside of their companies
>>
>>14673542
Where are you from?
>>
>>14673335
I work in the automotive industry, but in purchasing. What I can say right now is: not VW lol. Best advice I can give you is that you need to look beyond just big OEM brands. Look at suppliers too. Hella, Mahle-Behr, Faurecia, JCI, IFA Rotorion, Brose, Thyssen-Krupp, etc. Not that you shouldn't apply for the big guys, just expand your search.
>>
>>14673542
Apply for suppliers that make climate software.
>>
>>14673373
>chinese engineering

fucking kek, /pol/-kun. I can't think of any industry where America ousources actual engineering. Even russia/indian software outsourcing is typically done at the lowest, shitheel staff programmer level--all of the higher level decisions are made from the states. If american automanufacturers are actually that pants-on-head retarded I'm going to start shorting them now.
>>
>>14673335
Daimler AG/Mercedes-Benz has been rated "best company to work for" in the automotive sector a lot of times.
>>
>>14673542
Read http://www.autonews.com/section/map502&iframe=true&width=960&height=540
>>
>>14673559
This x 100000000. The auto industry (and many others) is like an iceberg: 9/10 of it is hidden from the consumer, who just sees the marquee name. And guess what: most recent graduates are just as blind, so there are a lot more resumes headed for the automaker than the partsmakers.
>>
Of the german 3 I think that MB is probably the one with the best laid out plans for the future.

Overall I think GM is the one throwing the most money to better performance and quality right now.
>>
>>14673778
I agree.

GM has improved so much in the last 8 years until the point that I can start advising people to buy Opels again.
>>
>>14673335
send resume to everyone.
see if they bite.
>>
I suspect all of them are in for a world of hurt when self-driving cars and car sharing dramatically reduce the number of cars on the road. You'll probably see a lot of companies going under.
>>
>>14673872
>Opel
>again
>fucking Opel
>ever
The only good car they had was the 2.5TD Omega and the best part about it, the engine, is BMW
>>
>>14673335
Going through school for high performance engine modification right now, I wanna work for Nismo or RUF and be the guy that tunes up the new model engines.
>>
>>14673373
>China
Good luck anon, as someone with friends in corporate China I can say prepare to find out why China has such a bad rep.
Hope the corruption doesn't fold you.
>>
>>14673373
>I work in the American auto industry, and I can say that a lot of the work will be moving to China within the next 10 years.
You idiots say "Buy American" and this is what you get.

Keep throwing your money at greedy charlatans though.
>>
>>14673335
BMW, might meet ya sumtime
>>
>>14673570
The programming bit is mostly true, but American automanufacturers are indeed stupid. Why do you think they needed to be bailed out immediately during the credit crunch in 2008? The only reason they had been staying afloat was that they were successful at lending money, not selling cars.

The American auto industry is a fucking disgrace, and it pains me to see the world's most industrialized economy make cars only a few hairs better than Chinese domestics. We should be producing cars with the sophistication of VAG/MB/BMW and the ruggedness of Toyota but nope, instead we churn out dogshit year after year because Billy Bob refuses to buy from the Nazis or the Japs.
>>
>>14674204

What if they were never bailed out and just ceased to exist?

did they NEEDED to be bailed out? (could we have just let them fail and move on)
>>
>>14674239
From their perspective, they needed to be bailed out, or they would have sunk.

Without the bailout Detroit would have sunk into the ground, pretty much, but in the long run it would have been worth it. New companies would rise and compete for market share and in the end it would work out.

The only reason it didn't happen that way is that we give too much leeway to incompetence here in America. Even if we had let them go bankrupt, who do you think would be heading the new car companies that rise? It would be leading experts from the current car companies, of course. The only ones fearing for their lives were those who knew their house of cards was on the verge of collapse, mostly on the board of GM.
>>
>>14674239
half those tuners, parts suppliers, aftermarket firms, machine shops, steelworks, warehouses etc etc go to the wall too, and 99% of america becomes a no fun shithole like yurep
>>
>work for german manufacturer
>get huge extra bonus pay at the end of the year
>work for the world's most famous and beloved car manufacturers

You would be a literal retard to not work for Audi, BMW or Merc. Or even better Porsche.
>>
>>14674369
Unlikely. Within 2 weeks of bankruptcy new money would own the heavy capital. The secondary market would be nearly unaffected. The only people who would be fucked are leeches, the kind of workers who are portrayed on The Office. Anyone worth a damn from the leadership of GM/Ford would probably hop over to the new companies. The fat would be effectively trimmed.

It would have been perfect. American cars would have had the chance to be great again.
>>
>>14674381
>applying to work under the VW umbrella when its about to internally combust
>>
>>14673570
You have no idea the amount of engineering work that is outsourced to India nowadays, especially when it comes to FEA/FEM and analysis in general.
Granted, they don't invent anything, but they are "in charge" of one of the most important step in the development process.
If you build something and it turns out it breaks after a few test cycles, chances are a retarded indian screwed up an analysis and an even more retarded colleague in your office didn't bother double checking it.

Indians/Chinese are great because there are so many of them, they are cheap and they are good for long, repetitive tasks that don't require extensive skills beyond the ones required to run a software.

It's happening, whether you like it or not.
>>
File: bananaphone.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
bananaphone.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>14674497
You must work for an odd car company.
>>
I have exactly 4 days left at Volvo after almost 2 years there working as an industrial engineer. Just don't. Fuck that place.
>>
>>14674550
Could you explain why anon?
>>
>>14674555
This. I had to decide between working for them and working for a supplier very close to them and chose the supplier because I've only worked for OEMs and never a tier 1. I start at the beginning of next month.
>>
>>14674508
To be honest, I never worked for a car manufacturer, but I worked for a big truck manufacturer and I currently work for a supplier of axles for some big names in the farming/mining vehicle industry, they all outsource jobs to Indians, and it's not like I found the only two places where they do this, all the competitors do the same thing.
Some of my colleagues come from all over the European automotive industry and they outsource jobs too. If it's not the manufacturers that do that, it's their suppliers.

When there are analysis that need to run for days and you need to run a lot of them, it's cheaper to send all the stuff there and use their cheap labor and cheap server farms, plus those guys work 24/7, whereas your typical engineering department does the usual 9 to 5 cycle with few exceptions.

When you need drones to do the job and you need a lot of them, outsourcing is a no brainer.
Even if they screw up something, the company still loses less money trying to fix their mistakes and dealing with a delay than doing everything in house
>>
>>14674584
i'll just add to this to say that -everyone's- industrial tool makers are in China. you can make chinks work 12 hour days so they get done faster. final tools are improved in the country of the production site though usually.
>>
File: custom-image-5404401b3a30f.jpg (148 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
custom-image-5404401b3a30f.jpg
148 KB, 960x640
>>14674584
Could be true for some suppliers. However i know most work(analysis or parts manufacture) doesnt travel further away then the polish/romanian border. (eurofag here)
>>
>>14674601
Did you work for Dacia? Because I had a colleague that worked for Dacia some 5 or 6 years ago and he told me they have Indians too
>>
>>14673335
tesla, google and apple

>>14674426
bankruptcy has happened in this sector before. once it's over it's over.
>>
>>14674618
No, one of the manufacturers from OP
>>
>>14674649
Oh ok
>>
I was going to, but then looked at the direction most new cars are going, decided fuck that, gonna be an electrical engineer instead
>>
>>14673335

Theyre all fucking doomed if you want to work on a nice car. If you want to work on an self driving people carrier, go to google or tesla.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.