[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have a 1990 Honda prelude, and I hit installed three new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So I have a 1990 Honda prelude, and I hit installed three new calipers. When I bled the brakes (as I've done a few times before), the brakes remained spongy. I've now bled them three times and the brakes aw still spongy. Any ideas?
>>
>>14672820
Add brake fluid
>>
>>14672842
Tried that multiple times
>>
>>14672866

I'm assuming you checked for leaks, right?

Were the brakes fine before you switched out calipers? If so, have you tried replacing them with the original calipers?
>>
>>14672879
No leaks. They worked fine before, and I haven't tried putting in the original calipers. I'm about ready to take it to a shop.
>>
master cylinder
>>
>>14672820
Has it got ABS. If so you may need a scan tool to cycle the thing in order to bleed the air out of it.

Alternatively sometimes a few ABS stops will bleed the air out of it and then you can bleed the air out of the lnes.

If no ABS and you let the system drain completely there's air in the master cylinder and you'll need to pull it off and bench bleed it. You wouldn't think that would make a difference but it does.

Finally, if you're just gravity bleeding it's been my experience that never quite gets it. I suspect that after a certain point it sucks air in just as much as fluid drains out and that you need to connect a hose to the bleed screw down into a partially filled container. I've never tried that myself I always just grab a friend for a few pedal presses and it's done.
>>
>>14672902
>gravity bleeding

You should NEVER gravity bleed brakes regardless.
>>
No abs, and I don't think it's the master cylinder because it worked fine two days ago with the old calipers.
>>
>>14672820
Why would you only replace 3 calipers? And why would you replace them if everything was fine?
>>
>>14672980
2 had failed, and I broke the bleed on nut one so I ended up replacing three. But they weren't spongy at all.
>>
>>14672949
Something I've learned over the years is that the one thing guaranteed to get you chasing your tail is the phrase "I don't think it could be that because..."
>>
>>14673005
I think he means that calipers are replaced in pairs.
>>
>>14672949
You destroyed your master cylinder by overpumping when bleeding.
>>
>>14673497
This guy gets it.
When you use the brake normally the pedal only tevels about half or less of its full length. If it is an old MC over pumping while bleeding will tear up the rubber seals.
When you bleed the brakes next time only push down half way or use a block under the pedal.
>>
Make sure the calipers were installed on the correct side of the car. My dumbass uncle put calipers on backwards before and had to take it to a shop to figure why the brakes were spongey.

If they are correctly installed, swap out the master cylinder. Theyre pretty cheap
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.